I need lower calorie breakfast options! Help!

Options

Replies

• Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast at 8, workout hard from 9-10:30, and then I don't really get to eat again until 1:00. I had 2 different breakfasts that I rotate through and they are each a little over 300 calories:

1. dannon light and fit yogurt (80cal) with kashi go lean crunch honey flax (100 cal for 1/2 cup) I pair that with a nonfat latte that I make. If I decide to go with straight coffee with a little bit of nonfat milk in it (as I did today) then I eat a full cup of the kashi.

2. thomas hearty grains whole wheat bagel (240 cal) with a hard boiled egg (70 cal) and a cup of coffee with a little nonfat milk. or you could put peanut butter on that bagel- 1TBSP is about 95 calories.

You said you eat an apple in the mornings- how bout having an apple with peanut butter on it? 80 cal for the apple, 195 cal for 2TB of pb.

good luck! I'm off to workout! :)
  • Shariegreen
    Options
    I have 2 packets of a high-fiber oatmeal (Essentials Everyday Cinnamon Swirl High Fiber) that comes in at 320 calories total and it's VERY filling. I usually leave a few bites left because I'm full. Maybe if you switch your brand of oatmeal or just add cinnamon instead of the fruit which is high in sugar and calories? 2 eggs and 2 slices of toast are also about 320 calories.
  • bsuther21
    Options
    I find that egg whites, yogurt, and toast keep me fueled and ready for the day. You can easily eat all of this for under 300 by choosing the light bread, light butter, light/fat free yogurt, and whites instead of yolks.
  • mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I love whole grain frozen waffles. 2 for 140 calories and you can add fresh fruit to them, light strawberry cream cheese, low sugar jelly, cinnamon and splenda. If you need more cals than that add a yogurt, juice, or an egg.

happy mornings
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    It doesn't copy the prettiest, but here's my oatmeal breakfast (1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup frozen fruit, 1 scoop protein powder, 2 cups of coffee with half & half and splenda):

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sodium
    Giant - Quick Oats, 1/2 cup (39g) 140 26 3 5 4 0
    Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 2 cup (8 fl oz) 5 0 0 1 0 9
    Splenda - No Calorie Sweetener Packets, 4 packet (1.0g) 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Giant Food - Fat Free Half and Half, 4 Tbsp 40 6 0 2 0 50
    Gnc Pro Performance - 100% Whey Protein Vanilla, 1 Scoop 120 4 2 20 0 100
    Dole - Strawberries, Peaches, and Bananas Frozen Fruit, 0.5 cup 35 10 0 1 2 0
    Add Food Quick Tools 340 46 5 29 6 159

EDIT: I mix the fruit and protein powder into my oatmeal.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    Drop the dried cranberries and go for a fresh or frozen fruit (like blueberries). When you add nuts to anything you'll see a spike in calories, you just have to decide if the benefits outweigh the costs. Also, go with fruit on your oats or eat the apple (or cut up the apple and put it on your oats) not both, you're getting a lot of fiber that way, but a ton of sugar too.

I love my oats in the morning too! I used to put almonds in it but saw that I was having a really high cal. breakfast too! I dropped the almonds and started adding 2 tbsp. of Peanut butter powder. I also cut up a small apple or add frozen blueberries to it.
    My oatmeal breakfast is : 1/2 cup oats, 1 apple cut up into the oats, 2 tbsp. peanut butter powder, and 1/2 cup of milk. If I am really feeling like I need more food I skip the pb powder and eat a hard boiled egg.
    I am always soooo hungry for breakfast and I always feel like my breakfast is sooo many calories compared to what others are eating but I have always been a breakfast person and what works for me may not work for others!
    Good Luck!
  • mazp12
    mazp12 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I usually have 30g of Ready Brek porridge with 150mls semi skimmed milk which is 182 calories :-)
  • sarahstro
    Options
    I have found these GREAT breakfast sandwiches (Vita Sandiwch Egg N Cheese w/ vegetables) they are filling and only 150 calories! I love them!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    how many walnuts are you putting in? that's the only thing I can think of that would be adding so many calories. I usually just use a tablespoon of chopped walnuts in my oatmeal and that keeps the calories lower!
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Options
    I eat 1 cup of Special K with Red Berries with 1/2 cup of 1% milk for breakfast, coffee with half and half and raw sugar. Then a couple of hours later I eat Chobani greek yogurt. I was eating all of it for breakfast but found I didn't have time in the morning, so I moved the yogurt to an early morning snack at work instead. Having that protein carries me several hours to lunch. If I had time in the morning to cook something, I'd be eating the egg and cheese on an English muffin like someone posted earlier. That sounds great -- will have to try that on the weekends!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I know mine is going to sound strange... but I like it...

I take 2 rice cakes (Quaker Lightly Salted) and used about 1/2 a TBS of Mayonnaise across both of them. Cook 2 egg whites and add a slice of low sodium ham on top. Then I have 1/2 a grapefruit or another piece of fruit. That keeps me going for a LONG time!
  • konswela
    konswela Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thomas Cinnamon and Raisin Bagel Thins (110 calories) Egg whites( i like garden vegetable with peppers and onions already in it) 1/3 cup (30 calories) and occasionally I will also eat Banquet Turkey sausage (2 or 3 links 100 calories or 2 patties 100 calories). you can pop these in the microwave!!!!

Even if you have more egg whites or something else with this like fruit you will still be under or around 300 calories..
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I scramble together 1 whole egg, 3 whites and 2 tbsp of fresh salsa. It totals out at 120 calories and takes me w minutes, not much longer than instant oatmeal and fulls me up way more than any bar or shake.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Today I had 4 egg whites, ketchup, a piece of toast, 2 Tbsp of pb2 and 1/4 cup cheerios. So much food for 215 calories!
  • VeroM1234
    VeroM1234 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm a low carber so...

4 egg whites in microwave for 3 mins + scramble the eggs + 2 light laughing cow cheese mix to it (the small triangles).
    I can also eat a little bit of meat with it (turkey or ham).

2 source vanilla yogourts + 1 scoop of protein = taste like pudding :)
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Three crispbreads, 100g of cottage cheese divided over the these and then 10g slices of smoked salmon on each. ca. 265kc

That's what I have most mornings. Sometimes I substitute lean ham for the smoked salmon... or you can substitute cream cheese (like Philadelphia light) for the cottage cheese.

For a really light breakfast I have 30g of Cheerios with a small banana :smile:

Or sometimes... just the banana :laugh:
  • SPheonix22
    SPheonix22 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    usually have quaker flavored oats any variety... 160 cals for breakfast and a yogurt ...160 calaries about an hour and a half later for snack. Comes to 320 and keeps me full till lunch.
  • Debbieg180
    Options
    You can make eggs/whites with vegetables, sometimes I use peppers, scallions, kale, carrots, this way you are getting in some veggies to start your day, and its not a lot of calories.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Just skip breakfast, 0 calories
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Porridge with raisins, i have the same every morning ands its 212 calories, but i have read somewhere that its best to eat your calories earlier on in the day (as thats when you metabolism is at its best) so say 500 cals for breakfast, 400 for lunch and 300 for dinner.. or something like that maybe.

cos that way you can carry on with what you're eating :D

YAY!