What is the easiest way to burn calories on a treadmill??

Options
Hey everyone I am wondering what works the best on a treadmill if you are trying to burn calories. Is it better to run at a jogging speed for a long time, or a high speed for only like 1 min. I way 162 and i am tring to get to 130

Replies

• Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Interval training is the way to go. It burns more calories and it is much funner! I usually walk/jog for the length of a song and run for that same amount of time alternating til the end. You can always lengthen or shorten either time to fit your needs.
  • ctheslayer
    Options
    Interval training is the way to go. It burns more calories and it is much funner! I usually walk/jog for the length of a song and run for that same amount of time alternating til the end. You can always lengthen or shorten either time to fit your needs.

Yep. I second that.

You can read more on interval training. http://www.suite101.com/content/running-for-weight-loss-a258718
  • thomasmarnold
    Options
    My trainer has me doing interval training. I do 5 minutes of running at 5.9 mph and with inclines from 1.0 to 3.0 for 1-2 min each and then I walk at 4.9 mph for 5 min with inclines at 3.0 to 4.0 for the entire 5 minutes. doing this is supposed to burn the most fat. "Running hills" is supposed to be the best fat burning exercise out there. I am currently sidelined from running due to shin splints. but I still do the walking and I will do the running when my leg permits...... Hope that helps. BTW. Do this Interval for 30-60 minutes.
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options

Yep. I second that.

You can read more on interval training. http://www.suite101.com/content/running-for-weight-loss-a258718

and, I Third it! I have also done just walking, but intervals of speed walking and really pumping my arms. good workout!
  • Drealicious
    Options
    Can someone please explain to me what ineterval running is?
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I interval run, as well- ie I'll run for a few minutes (10 minutes) then I'll crank up the incline (3-10) and speed walk for a few minutes (5 minutes)- I continue like that for an hour. It is fun and exhausting.
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    Interval training (regardless of what exercise you are doing) is when you alternate between high intensity and lower intensity exercise. For example, running for 1 minute then walking for 1 minute then running for 1 minute ..... for a total of 15 minutes.

Try these websites for more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training
    http://www.intervaltraining.net/index.html
  • RippaRita54
    RippaRita54 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    turning it on and using it is the best way to burn calories..... lol
    Doesnt matter how you use it as long as you are moving and break a sweat it is burning calories.....
  • blima
    blima Posts: 1
    Options
    true!! I lost the most weight this way & in a shorter amount of time!!
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    turning it on and using it is the best way to burn calories..... lol
    Doesnt matter how you use it as long as you are moving and break a sweat it is burning calories.....

LOL that's exactly what I thought when I read the title :laugh:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting out, you will do best if you first build up you endurance and fitness level. If you have not been running, you need to build up your endurance and you need to condition your joints and soft tissue to the physical demands of the activity. This best accomplished with a walk/jog program to start--alternate intervals of walking and jogging at a slow to moderate speed. Gradually increase the amount of running and decrease the amount of walking.

The current fad of HIIT has many people and trainers pushing to high-intensity intervals before they are ready. The result is burnout, injuries (such as shin splints), etc.

You don't burn any fat sitting on the sidelines with an injury.

Burning fat requires maintaining a negative energy balance--you need to increase caloric expenditure through activity (such as exercise), but also modestly restrict calorie intake.

Training for fitness, rather than just "fat burning" will give you the best results in the long run.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    if you are just starting to exercise, the best way to burn calories is to just walk. :) but if you are a seasoned athelete, check out this workout:

Time Saver Metabolic Booster(15 minutes)
    2 min: Brisk walk (3-3.5 mph)
    1 min: Fast walk (3.5-4.5 mph)
    1 min: Light jog (5.0-6.0 mph)
    1 min: Fast jog (6.0-7.0 mph)
    1 min: Run (7.0-8.0 mph)
    2 min: Light jog (5.0-6.0 mph)
    2 min: Fast jog (6.0-7.0 mph)
    1 min: Brisk walk/ cool down(or fast walk if your continuing)

Sugar / Fat Burner(30 minutes: above plus the following)
    3 min: Light jog (5.0-6.0 mph)
    1 min: Fast walk (3.5-4.5)
    3 min: Fast jog (6.0-7.0 mph)
    2 min: Fast jog (6.0-7.0 mpg)
    1 min: Brisk walk / cool down(or fast walk if you're continuing)

Time Saver Metabolic Booster(45 minutes: above the following)
    3 min: Light jog (5.0-6.0 mph)
    1 min: Run (7.0-8.0)
    2 min: Run (7.0-8.0 mph)
    1 min: Brisk walk / cool down

remember to stretch afterwards so you won't be sore!
  • jenlwolff
    jenlwolff Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am slightly addicted to the treadmill and I, too, love interval training. I have downloaded plenty of treadmill workouts from itrain.com which are extremely motivating and help deter any boredom. They have several interval workouts that I love! Good luck!
  • epeebes
    epeebes Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    A trainer I once had said you don't always have to run or jog as long as you up the incline you will burn a lot of calories.
  • IB_John
    IB_John Posts: 23
    Options
    Just got my treadmill a month ago. Up to 50 minute walks 3.6 MPH 1 degree on the incline. I don't plan on running/jogging due to exercise induced asthma.

I figure when I hit 1 hour - 2 more weeks, I was going to increase speed or incline. Which is better for calories speed or incline.
  • rsullivan
    rsullivan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have to do speed intervals at a low incline because anything over 1-1.5 incline tears my knee up. Today I did 42 minutes and burned 560 calories. Love my HRM for accurate calories burned!
  • eponine1976
    eponine1976 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I like to do incline intervals some days and other days I do speed intervals. Very rarely I will do a combination of incline and speed intervals within the same workout. If I'm not feeling my best and want an "easy" day I might just walk at a moderate pace with 0% incline but I actually tend to enjoy the workouts where I do some sort of intervals the best because I'm less likely to get bored.
  • Mrswheels01
    Mrswheels01 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    incline ! That always ups my burnt calories!
  • martin_chicago
    martin_chicago Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    i need some help i was told if i do intense cardio on treadmill i would be burning more muscle then fat
    i do 7.0-7.5 speed
    i do one full minute and then rest on the side for 30 seconds
    and keep doing this for about 20-30 minutes or until i reach 2 miles
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    increase the incline.