Why don't people get it?

Options

Replies

• NorthRiver
    NorthRiver Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who constantly tried to push food on me. He had hyperthyroid himself, could eat whatever he wanted and still looked like a stick figure (he wasn't very healthy overall though). And over time it became a real issue between us. It made me aggressive that he didn't except my decision to eat healthy, and he became very offended when I declined a cookie or only ordered fruit salad with yogurt when he got a meat pie with gravy.

In his case he wasn't trying to show love through food, nor was it jealousy at my diet success and self-discipline. It felt simply like he was trying to force his way of seeing things and his own twisted attitude towards food on me. He accused me of depriving myself, of not enjoying my life because I'd rather have a pear and some green tea instead of fatty chocolate cake. I tried to explain that I'd actually come to the point where I CRAVE some fruit and genuinely don't feel hungry for chocolate, but he refused to accept it.

In the end I distanced myself from him and made sure we only hung out in non-food-related contexts, although it made me sad.

It's true that it's always YOU who has to have the discipline to say no, and if you can't, don't blame others for your failure to stick to a healthy diet. BUT it is also true that some people make it unnecessarily hard on those of us who've made a constant choice and try to maintain a healthy way of eating and exercising.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    As a Cubs fan, I would think you would be used to people disapointing you.
  • foxtayle
    foxtayle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Work is tough. Food is a social thing. If someones not partaking, then it's like some negative judgement is being passed in one direction or the other. It's stupid and annoying. Totally understand about caving after a while - you're just thinking about it more and more and you just want them to shut the F* up!

I heard about something from a magazine where you can scoop out some of the bread from the bagel to help bring down the calories. Apparently there's even a special "bagel scoop" tool you can get (which I think is just silly - you can use a spoon or your fingers.)

HANG IN THERE!
  • cal1973
    cal1973 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Totally agree - I have a lady sitting next to me at work who keeps offering me biscuits. When she first saw me eating my daily carrot at breaktime (yes, I have a daily carrot) she said "have a biscuit, you don't need to eat carrots, you're thin!!!"

Go figure :wink:
  • CarrieJ85
    CarrieJ85 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I understand exactly how you feel! My friends and family haven't been very supportive. I don't have a lot of weight to lose but like you I just want to lose the fat and get in better shape and just be healthier. They don't seem to understand that I am uncomfortable where I am now and that I am doing it for me.
  • chicagocubsfan23
    Options
    I understand exactly how you feel! My friends and family haven't been very supportive. I don't have a lot of weight to lose but like you I just want to lose the fat and get in better shape and just be healthier. They don't seem to understand that I am uncomfortable where I am now and that I am doing it for me.

Luckily my husband and friends are supportive. Our family isn't very much, but we don't see them often so it isn't such a big deal. It's just hard at work because people here are far from supportive, and I am here 8 hours a day 5 days a week. Plus when I am just sitting doing nothing I tend to think about food more than when I am at home busy with house work and what not
  • mom2ajnsz
    mom2ajnsz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    some people are just natural food pushers. like my m-i-l. she lost 90lbs to get to her goal and now all of the foods she would have eaten in her fat days she still buys and brings to my house for my hubby and kids. i am almost 1/2 way to goal having lost 37lbs and I DON'T WANT TO EAT ALL OF THE JUNK SHE BUYS!!!!

as for bagel day at work? i bring a light english muffin and sprinkle some of the everything bagel topping from the bag on my EM before putting my light cream cheese (or whatever) on it. I still get the bagel flavor in a 90 cal. EM.

i SO understand even though i really have no advice for you. just stand strong and tell you boss he/she can have your bagel too.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to quit pointing fingers, be accountable for you. When you cave, no matter what the temptation, it's no ones fault but your own.

You got this! Good luck!

I am not trying to point fingers. I realize if I ate the bagel it's because I caved to their pressure. What I am trying to get at is that I think it stinks they won't leave it be after I say no one time.

I can sympathize, I deal with it too. It does suck. I found the only way to really get beyond it though is to just surrender to the fact that it's just the way it is and I'm going to just have to deal with it. I find it to be helpful to use humor in situations like this. It allows me to be firm in a lighthearted way. You just need to find something that works for you ^_^
  • Laineegrrl
    Laineegrrl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    How about putting a huge note on your desk (or your forehead for emphasis ;)) that says "I DON'T WANT A DAMN BAGEL!"

this.lol
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Take the bagel and throw it across the room as hard as you can and say "Damn that was good. Can I have another one?"
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    "If everyone eats one then its okay for me too eat one too" . If your making a choice not to, it makes then rethink if they should. Some people don't like seeing others make good choices when they might not be making the right ones themselves. :)
  • lcrabbs
    lcrabbs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    One time I just lost it and yelled at someone who wouldn't let it go that I didn't want any pizza. It got the point across, but I don't know if I'd recommend it :)
  • inkedshears
    inkedshears Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i feel the same way. i get so much grief at work for eating right... i think others secretly want to set you up for failure because of jealousy. they wish they could be as dedicated to health as you are being.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    One of the secretaries where I work brought in a chocolate decadence cake for Bosses' Day last week. Talk about temptation. Everybody kept saying, "Don't you want a piece?" I just said, "no thank you" and went to work.

Every month, we have "birthday breakfast" for all the people who had birthdays that month. I can't get out of it, so I guess I need to find something healthy and low-cal to bring. No more french toast casserole, I guess...
  • diane1029
    Options
    I used to get this a lot but now people just know that I eat differently and if they'd like a debate on the subject, they know I'll win.
    When people comment on the food choices I make or don't make, I always reply with, "would you like me to talk about what your eating?" You know they don't want to hear about the poor choices they are making, that is why they are trying to get you to give in on the bagel; so they can feel better about their bad choices. By you making good choices, they are feeling guilty. They'd rather see you give-in then them give-up the bad stuff.

So, I'd go that route of replying, "would you like me to comment on your food?" That should stop them. If they insist on you eating their crap, then I would FIRST insist on them eating your way for 1-week, THEN, you'll enjoy the bagel. Odds are, they'll just walk away. It's all about calling their bluff and making them aware that it's THEIR bad choice and YOUR good choice. Bottom line, everyone has a choice. Stick to your guns!
  • Gdzgal771
    Gdzgal771 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    unfortunately people are thoughtless most of the time. :grumble: :grumble:
    maybe there is something they need to change in their life but havent/dont want to etc..:frown: :frown:
    you are undoubtedly a great role model for them to see..just brush off their insensitivity, hun..!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Tell them bagels give you gas. They won't ever ask you again.
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I work from home now, but I used to tell people 'oh thanks, but *insert food here* ,makes me sleepy and I have far too much to do today'; worked every time.
  • chicagocubsfan23
    Options
    Tell them bagels give you gas. They won't ever ask you again.

:laugh:
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    My standard excuse for not eating when food is pushed at me is heartburn. It even worked with my mother.