Why do low carb?

Options
If calories in vs calories out is the most important factor, why do people do low carb? What are the benefits?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Carbs are certainly the new Dr Evil in the world of weight-loss, taking over from fat's role as enemy no 1 for the last 20 - 30 years.
    I do think there are some terribly over-processed carb based foods that are just empty calories with no nutritional value at all and they are best avoided, but not every carb in the world is evil.

Really it's going to be different for everyone - some people find that they lose weight faster and binge less when they eat low carb in which case it's a great option for them.

For me they aren't a problem, so I'm sticking with my carbs, just trying to choose ones that give me more energy and nutrition for my calories.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    Some people find it easier to restrict calorie intake when eating low carb. Foods like bread, pasta, and cereals are deceptively high in calories. Not to mention candy bars and cakes.
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Cycling carbs, from moderate to low, to sometimes high in a preplanned manner can often be a great way to help lose weight (through lower calories on low carb days) but also to keep your metabolism ramped up. I'm not big on "low carb" but cyclical eating is pretty win in my book. :)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I have yet to figure this out myself xD Im starting low carb just to try it out and see how my body reacts.

What i don't understand is how i know its calories in vs calories out like you said, but what about the people following paleo trying to gain weight but cant? Even though they are taking shots of olive oil xD
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    Because it actually works if you do it SHORT TERM. When I got ready for contests (or for that matter if I have a client getting ready for a contest) low carb was a very effective way to lose body fat. But to sustain a lifestyle that way isn't easy.
  • jnfranks72
    Options
    My doctor put me on restricted carbs. She said that carbs burn faster and cause your insulin levels to yo-yo. When your insulin levels yo-yo your body stores more fat. She said to make sure and eat plenty of protein because it burns slower and keeps you full longer. I know this may not work for everyone, but that is what the doctor told me about why she wanted me to reduce my carb intake. Good luck!
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Protein and fat tend to be more satiating than carbs, so some find it easier to restrict calories (whether they choose to believe it or not).
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    Carbs are certainly the new Dr Evil in the world of weight-loss, taking over from fat's role as enemy no 1 for the last 20 - 30 years.
    I do think there are some terribly over-processed carb based foods that are just empty calories with no nutritional value at all and they are best avoided, but not every carb in the world is evil.

Really it's going to be different for everyone - some people find that they lose weight faster and binge less when they eat low carb in which case it's a great option for them.

For me they aren't a problem, so I'm sticking with my carbs, just trying to choose ones that give me more energy and nutrition for my calories.

I second this. Carbs are not the evil entity - people just make bad carb choices and then blame carbs for it. Poor carbs. Choose healthy whole grains, fruits and veggies - and practice portion control......that is the mad secret.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat tend to be more satiating than carbs, so some find it easier to restrict calories (whether they choose to believe it or not).

This is why I believe low carb works. You simply eat less calories to get hungry. It's still calories in vs. calories out, but eating protein somehow forces you to eat less calories total.

I eat more of a balanced protein/carb diet. I tend to get moody and sleepy on low carb, and I overeat on higher carb. I'm more of an in the middle kinda person. Be we just gotta find what works for us.

Simply saying that carbs makes you fat is horribly incorrect and I that's one of the myths that bugs me the most.
  • SummerFun2011
    Options
    I read somewhere that it makes you less likely to binge. Since omlets aren't so much a binge food like pasta :laugh:
    Why do people gain the weight back then? I understand the glycogen and water weight. But why do they gain fat back?
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Because when you restrict foods you really like, relapse is much more likely to happen than if you learn to incorporate foods you like into your allotted calories. Basically, it's not realistic to expect to eat that way ad infinitum.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I read somewhere that it makes you less likely to binge. Since omlets aren't so much a binge food like pasta :laugh:
    Why do people gain the weight back then? I understand the glycogen and water weight. But why do they gain fat back?

I would assume it is just because they are eating over their maintenance again? Since a lot of people on low carb do not count calories. So when they stop restricting carbs they take in a ton of calories again.

Just my guess xD
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    If calories in vs calories out is the most important factor, why do people do low carb? What are the benefits?

Benefits: um, well. can't think of any :)
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I have my carbs set really high but try to get no more than 2 refined carbs a day, preferring to get mine mostly from whole grains, vegetables, and fruits.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

I would assume it is just because they are eating over their maintenance again? Since a lot of people on low carb do not count calories. So when they stop restricting carbs they take in a ton of calories again.

Just my guess xD

I am posting this everywhere today. This should be the official PSA for MFP. Fantastic article that addresses eating too few calories, and eating low carb and how they can both cause weight gain:

700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing">http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Its not how many carbs you eat, but what carbs you eat!
  • SummerFun2011
    Options
    Its not how many carbs you eat, but what carbs you eat!

This is what I always thought :flowerforyou:
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Its not how many carbs you eat, but how many calories you eat

FYP.
  • CaoimheAine
    Options
    I personally don't eat many carbs. My carbs are mostly all from fruits & vegs. I'm a type 1 diabetic so whatever carbs I intake I have to account for when taking my insulin. If I stay low-ish on carbs my dosage is much lower (if any!). Also pasta, rice, bread make me just feel sick and very bloated. Xx
  • CaoimheAine
    Options
    Its not how many carbs you eat, but how many calories you eat

FYP.

and also 100% agree with this :tongue: