I GAINED WEIGHT!

Options
2»

Replies

• deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    So like what I've learned about weigh-ins is that it's very easy to create discrepancies on the scale. I plan weigh-ins on sundays, so I don't eat after a certain time on Saturday night. The reason being is that any food that's still in my body and being processed is going to alter what i see on the scale. In the mornings, I make sure to weigh-in after I ****. Sounds kind of immature but many people do this, and I think the rationale is obvious. I've seen 2-3 lb fluctuations because of what i just mentioned.

To kind of test my theory I did weigh-ins before and after releasing my bowels. I've also tried consuming alot of food within my daily limit towards the end of the night on Saturday (for a Sunday weigh-in).

And don't try coming after me about sweating "weight" during the night. That is just part of a mattress salesman's pitch.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Did your pizza contain 10,000 calories? No? Then it's water. High sodium causes you to retain water.
  • dizidaisy
    Options
    9lb in three weeks is a GOOD weight loss! It also takes a week for your body to metabolise a true weight gain or loss - fluctuations occur due to salt etc - how much extra fluid you are carrying on any given day - so don't be disheartened - carry on and yes, I can tell you from personal experience - the more calories you can eat and still lose weight - the better! Because if you practically starve yourself - your body with adjust to the low intake and then when you want to maintain it will be harder to do so and you risk piling it all back on and more! I have worked between 1200 & 1400 calories a day to shift 56lbs and I did that in 9 months - lots of people have been able to do it in half the time, but when I've done it quickly in the past I've piled back on even quicker! Slow but steady is the way to go! :) good luck! xxx
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I would say it has to be water....I don't think it's possible to gain or lose 3 lbs in that short of time. :) Drink water and lower your sodium intake and see what happens. :) (hard b/c I love me some pizza ;) )
  • SPheonix22
    SPheonix22 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Probaly water retention from the salt in the pizza. No big deal. Drink lots of water and weigh yourself in a week.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I read a blog on here some time ago that really helped me 'see' that I was losing overall and forget blips of this type. If you run a spreadsheet in excel or a similar list of your weight, if you're a daily weigher then log your weight.. or whenever you way. And look at it from a month to month basis you'll see times when you gain and times when you lose, often the gain comes after a meal such as pizza but also is shortly followed by loss and more lost than the gain soon after.

So.. try and look at the bigger picture, perhaps it was the pizza but either way you'll lose more if you continue being good. :) I've been in a plateau situ for a couple of months but am trying to juggle my way out of it. It's hard but I know I can do it if I stay true.

Good luck and well done for your loses to date.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time. It's just water retention from the sodium in the pizza. I have a 4 lb fluctuation and will weigh close to loss one day and then 4 lbs heavier 3 days later.

Make sure you're getting in plenty of water, because you can cause your body to think it's dehydrated and that'll make you retain water. You can also do this if you drink more water than the day or two before, your body will hold onto it.
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Take a Dieutric help with water retaining you will pee like crazy.
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    It was probably the sodium. Back a couple months ago, I was losing steadily when one night I ate two slices of Turkey Bacon. The next morning, I was 3 pounds up on the scale. It took me two weeks to get that three pounds off. I weigh every day which would drive some people crazy, but I do it for a reason. Since I log everything I eat, if I gain a few pounds from one day to the next, I go back to my food log to find out what could have been the culprit. Everytime it has been a high sodium food that has put me there. I know water weight and menstrual cycles can be factors as well, but I've found that my weight never fluctuates wildly from one day to the next. It's usually .2 pounds up or down and never out of that range so my food diary is my indicator of what to stay away from. Pizza has done the same thing to me as well.

If you need the extra calories, try using extra virgin olive oil, eating raw nuts or seeds, or raw nut butters. They are loaded with calories, but they are the good calories not the empty ones.
  • wilson1972
    Options
    Relax!!! It's just water... it may take 3 days or so to come off... My advice is to not weigh yourself again for a few days.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    This is why most people will advise you not to weigh in more than once per week. Everyone experiences daily fluctuations in weight depending on what they ate, how much water they're retaining, whether or not there is still waste in their bodies that needs to be expelled, etc.

ETA: and us women have one more thing to contend with when our monthly visitor comes along and makes us retain water like sponges!

Anytime you make a change in your routine, be it adding calories in, eating at a retaurant instead of home cooked food, drinking more water, exercising more (or less), your body will take some time to adjust to the change. I personally can take up to a week to recover from a meal out whether or not I've gone over the calories because the extremely high sodium makes me retain water like crazy.

Remember this is not a race, it's not a contest, it's your life. Eat healthy, exercise, drink you water and the weight will come off.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Water retention due to the high level of sodium in pizza.
    ^^^^this watch your sodium and drink some extra water and all will be fine
  • paravision
    Options
    Good Lord. MAYBE I shouldnt eat pizza ever again :o(
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Good Lord. MAYBE I shouldnt eat pizza ever again :o(

It is only water weight, so you can eat it, just expect a water weight gain for a few days afterwords.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    My guess is your pizza was salty and now you have water retention. I predict only temporary weight gain. Let us know
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Nah, don't deprive yourself of things you like as long as they fit into your calories. Anytime you get restaurant food or processed food, it's likely going to be high in sodium - heck even everyday things like eggs, tomatoes, bread and cereal can be high in sodium. The better solution is to add sodium to your tracker, try altering your average day to be within the limits, up your water intake for a few days after the occassional high sodium day and maybe take a break from the scale for a few days after too.
  • kellybstampin
    Options
    I wouldn't say to never eat pizza again, but if you do, don't weigh in for a week! ;) So many people said it already -- the sodium will make you retain water.

And I agree with everyone else: it's bet to only weigh in one time per week -- preferably 1st thing in the am after going to the bathroom. ;) haha! When you weigh in daily, you will see more fluctuations that can affect you emotionally.....you don't want to feel defeated when you are working SO hard.

You are doing GREAT! Just keep at it......if you look at my progress, you'll see I even had a 5lb gain in less a week.....it was all due to water retention and came off quickly. I just had to make myself hide the scale and ONLY bring it out on Mondays.....