Anyone ride their bike to work?

Options

Replies

• solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    The fact that you use bus/train now is a positive, because you'll always have that as a back up, and you can start easy, a day or two per week.

That's similar to my current situation, I've just joined a vanpool, so I have that alternate way, and can even ride one way, and if the weather gets crummy load the bike on the van, it has a bike rack.

Does the El accommodate bikes? The Max in Portland does, you might check into that, and you can have some major flexibility!

As far as a bike choice, I would choose either a good commuter bike, or a cyclocross bike, or a road bike. Plan to spend a minimum of $600 if you can get one on a sale. Less of a bike won't hold up to regular commuting. You'll be surprised how addicting it can be, because of the economics of it and the regular workout, the diet begins taking care of itself due to the calories expended from commuting. The other benefit is the Net amount of time it takes from your day. During the winter, I miss it because going to the gym seems to take my whole evening compared to my commute.
  • solpwr
    Options
    Oh and by the way one of my MFP friends @panicintheattic bike commutes in Chicago.
  • angelapolite
    Options
    Hi Angela,

I live in Chicago too! I used to bike 18 miles round trip from Chicago to Evanston each day for work using the River Trail. I stopped this year because work got crazy (it's faster to take the Metra and I need to be into work sooner) so I got into running. I plan to do it again next year when it warms back up. I also bike casually throughout the city.

I use a mountain bike but I think the best bike for speed without the effort would be a hybrid (mountain bike handles with thinner tires). I don't like road bikes in Chicago because I feel hunched over with the handles and the potholes are horrible here! My boyfriend uses a road bike to bike from the Northwest side to downtown (~20 miles round trip) and has to change his tires and repair spokes several times a year but he makes great time on his commute as opposed to riding the train!

As for bad neighborhoods, I would think if you're biking during daylight hours with lots of people around, you'll be fine. Pepper spray is always a good idea and you'll likely be biking faster than a potential mugger can run so you're not an easy target. I bike through a iffy neighborhood to get the Lakefront Trail and never have been bothered. Just be aware and pay attention. If I were you, I'd be more worried about my bike getting stolen while I wasn't riding it so make sure to invest in a high quality bike lock!

I lived elsewhere for most of my life and Chicago has been one of the most bike-friendly cities I've ever lived in! I find most drivers to be pretty conscious and conscientous of me. That being said, assume everyone is not paying attention to you and ride defensively. Follow the road rules (e.g. stopping at lights and signs). Watch out for people opening car doors!!!!

Feel free to friend me as another Chicago biker!

Thanks so much for your post.
    My commute would be from Oak Park to downtown. I looked into the bike routes and it's taking me thru Washington Park (Washington Blvd) and the near west side to UIC and such, basically parallel to I290 east down Washington Blvd. I understand that I need to be aware of surroundings and like you said, it will be during the daytime hours with people all around. And I WILL have my pepper spray :wink:
    I have been researching the different types of bikes and I came to the same conclusion as you, the hybrid. Now I need to decide which one...:indifferent:
    I do plan on getting a good lock, I work near Printers Row, near Columbia College, so the area is pretty ok. I also am trying to figure how much I should invest in a bike. Any ideas? Also, do you guys bike year-around?
  • angelapolite
    Options
    The fact that you use bus/train now is a positive, because you'll always have that as a back up, and you can start easy, a day or two per week.

That's similar to my current situation, I've just joined a vanpool, so I have that alternate way, and can even ride one way, and if the weather gets crummy load the bike on the van, it has a bike rack.

Does the El accommodate bikes? The Max in Portland does, you might check into that, and you can have some major flexibility!

As far as a bike choice, I would choose either a good commuter bike, or a cyclocross bike, or a road bike. Plan to spend a minimum of $600 if you can get one on a sale. Less of a bike won't hold up to regular commuting. You'll be surprised how addicting it can be, because of the economics of it and the regular workout, the diet begins taking care of itself due to the calories expended from commuting. The other benefit is the Net amount of time it takes from your day. During the winter, I miss it because going to the gym seems to take my whole evening compared to my commute.

I was actually looking into a hybrid, but I plan on going into a bike shop and find out what's best. Here in Chicago, they do allow you to bring your bike on the trains and most of the buses to have bike racks.
    I agree, I'd much rather get my exercise in while commuting, I've been paying my "fat tax" (paying for gym memberships and NOT using them) too long. It's too time consuming!
  • solpwr
    Options
    Angela, take a look at the Trek PDX. That is a good bike for your purpose. I would add fenders. Trek makes some fenders called the Nebula. I normally wouldn't recommend a Trek, but this one is the right mix of features IMO.

I keep looking, now I'm drooling over bikes. At $850 suggested, which you could get at $600 is the Kona Dr. Good. Sweet ride. Except again, add fenders and change to a straight handlebar. The beauty of this bike is the internal gearing in the rear hub, which is better for commuting. You could add a chainguard to this baby and wear a dress or suit to work.

And if you have $$$ the Kona Dr. Fine is the bomb.
  • angelapolite
    Options
    Angela, take a look at the Trek PDX. That is a good bike for your purpose. I would add fenders. Trek makes some fenders called the Nebula. I normally wouldn't recommend a Trek, but this one is the right mix of features IMO.

I will look into that.
    Check this out. It got great reviews and the price is right.
    http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Discovery-Womens-Hybrid-Wheels/dp/B0030UESQY/ref=sr_1_6?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1319657503&sr=1-6
  • solpwr
    Options
    Find one of these:

http://www.konaworld.com/asphalt_commuter.cfm?content=dr_good

Stay away from Schwinn. You'll wear it out quickly.

Another option is craigslist.
  • angelapolite
    Options
    Find one of these:

http://www.konaworld.com/asphalt_commuter.cfm?content=dr_good

Stay away from Schwinn. You'll wear it out quickly.

Another option is craigslist.

Is this a women's bike?
  • solpwr
    Options
    This bike is not gender specific.
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I dont work in a job where i can ride my bike but i always cycle the playschool runs, so thats 2 mile round trip and i do it 7 times a week with 2 year old on the back (baby seat) and my 3 year old in the tag along trailer most times!

i love my bike and i'd totally use it for popping to the shops and such when the hubby's at home to watch the kiddos but i've no bike lock or lights for it yet.
  • galaxyfun1
    Options
    I ride 8 miles twice a day and it takes me about 30mins for each ride. At an old job where we didn't have showers I used baby wipes if I was particularly sweaty. I think it a great idea as it helps me to achieve my daily exercise quota and I feel so much more awake at work. Good luck. :)
  • tbrewst
    tbrewst Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I bike to/from work at least one day a week, hoping to add two, etc.... It's around 5 miles each way and takes 25-30 minutes. I live in the Austin area so I am always a little hot when I get to work! We have a shower but I don't use it, we are causal here so I just pack light clothing, wipe down and head on to my desk. :wink: The worst part is carrying my stuff in a backpack, I need a rack bad. I ride a women's mountain bike I got at REI and added thinner tires. I usually burn around 600 calories round trip so it's a nice little bonus. Another thing I need are clips, I think you get a better leg workout with them. Oh, if you bring your lunch I suggest stocking up on stuff you can store in your desk so you don't have to pack your lunch. Since you work in the city this proably isn't an issue for you.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I ride to work every single day. My commute is 4 miles each way and takes me about 20 minutes door to desk. A bike with smooth tires and fenders is the way to go and any bike can be equipped as such. A cycling poncho, lights and shoe covers can all be obtained cheaply from China on eBay. I strongly suggest invfesting in a leather saddle. $60-$100 but your butt will thank you.

My bike, a 1974 Raleigh Sports with some upgrades:

bike.jpg
  • angelapolite
    Options
    Thanks to everyone's ideas and suggestions! I'm excited to start this. :bigsmile:
  • angelapolite
    Options
    I ride 8 miles twice a day and it takes me about 30mins for each ride. At an old job where we didn't have showers I used baby wipes if I was particularly sweaty. I think it a great idea as it helps me to achieve my daily exercise quota and I feel so much more awake at work. Good luck. :)

That sounds like how my commute will be 9 miles each way. What type of bike do you ride?
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Check out REI for gear to help you stay dry while you ride! :)
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options

I keep looking, now I'm drooling over bikes. At $850 suggested, which you could get at $600 is the Kona Dr. Good. Sweet ride. Except again, add fenders and change to a straight handlebar. The beauty of this bike is the internal gearing in the rear hub, which is better for commuting. You could add a chainguard to this baby and wear a dress or suit to work.

And if you have $$$ the Kona Dr. Fine is the bomb.
    This thread is really helpful. I am hitting you up for bike advice. Expect a PM soon...
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I ride everyday to work. Just over a mile, but when I get off work I ride 9 miles or more on an average day.

How long did that take you? I live in Chicago, so I'd be battling with traffic when I get downtown. Also, what type of bike would be best?

It takes me 8 minutes to get to work, I take back roads and it was 16 degrees this morning so my face was frozen! lol On my 9 miles, majority of it is country roads and wildlife refuge. That is done in about 45 minutes. Around 5 minutes a mile or less

I ride a cheap bike from Walmart with a good Gel seat.
  • jjbranc
    jjbranc Posts: 27
    Options
    I ride 7 miles each way, takes me about 30-35 minutes depending on traffic. I live in the Chicago burbs (Naperville). I ride a Trek 820. Make sure that you have cold weather/rain gear!
  • wayne4825
    wayne4825 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm so anxious to start riding a bike to work. It's a total of about 12 miles round trip. I walked it one way in just over an hour so I'm thinking I can bike it in maybe 45 minutes or so. We'll see, but I'm so ready to get started.