Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    *disclaimer*
    do not be rude.
    do not be a meany.
    Do not call me stupid.
    Do not say i have a disease or disorder because i dont.
    Do not be rude.

today i exercised 800 calories off. and i wasnt hungery at all and i shoved down my throat around 650 calories... 643 to be exact. now it says i am in the negatives but im just not hungry and frankly feel bloated for some reason. how cani prevent this from happening in the future?

Maybe I'm in the minority here... but I would say that if you are maintaining or losing weight, don't worry about the few extra calories you did not eat back. Weight loss comes with a calorie deficit. You have to burn more calories than you consume. When I had more weight to lose, I ate back more of my exercise calories. Now that I'm just a few pounds from my goal, I am eating very few of them back. Do what is right for your body! If you feel you can't eat anything else, and your choices are healthy ones, why force it? Good luck to you! Only you know your body the best. Just listen to it. :)

her choice was not healthy. She ate 640 calories, and burned 800. That puts her at -150 (+) calories for the day. Not a -150 below 1,200 ... not -150 below her goal ... -150 period.

Now listen, OP .. I totally get having a day every now and then where I don't meet my caloric goal for one reason or another .. probably once a month I end up with a net 800 or so calories... and I don't stress about it. But what you did today was really irresponsible. It wasn't a weight loss trick, and it wasn't an accident. and you can't convince me otherwise. There are a lot of great suggestions here to help you eat enough to fuel your body, and I urge you to take them... and plan ahead in the future.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Can I be just a little rude? I'll send flowers afterwards.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Can I be just a little rude? I'll send flowers afterwards.

I want flowers :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • kiesh82
    kiesh82 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If it's just a one day thing then don't worry about it. I have random days where I'm just not hungry and I fall under 1200...but it's rare. I think you should've eaten something small @ least before working out...granola bar...something. But no biggie if it's just a one off!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    *****. :flowerforyou:
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
  • jpatrickwinstead
    Options
    Try eating 40 grams of protein within a half hour after waking up in the morning. That's three eggs. That should crank up your metabolism, which will make you hungrier and increase fat burning.
  • skinnnyxoxo
    skinnnyxoxo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    if you know if you are going to workout, then eat the calories earlier in the day
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    That should crank up your metabolism, which will make you hungrier and increase fat burning.
    lolwut-3017_preview.jpg
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Lucy

In all seriousness, this kind of thing is preventable.

Unless you hit the gym first thing in the morning, I'm not sure how you got to the gym having not eaten anything earlier in the day. Whether you are going to the gym or not doesn't change the fact the body needs fuel.

Clearly gorging to make up a calorie deficit didn't work. Now you know one way to not respond in the future. Eating multiple times throughout the day would seem the better strategy.

I know people on the boards from time to time pop up with something like," I only ate 750 calories today, and I can't eat anything else because I am not hungry. What do I do?".

Eating too little (this will vary based on individual physiology) because one is "not hungry" is just as unhealthy as eating too much because one "isn't full yet." Neither is a healthy relationship with food.

Food is fuel. We need a steady supply of quality food to operate optimally and reach our FITNESS goals. If we don't hit our calories and macro ratios but consume a large volume of food, then we are making the wrong food choices. That isn't any different than totally blowing past our calorie restrictions a small volume of hyper calorie dense food in one meal.

They may be different ends of the spectrum, but it is the same problem.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    That should crank up your metabolism, which will make you hungrier and increase fat burning.
    lolwut-3017_preview.jpg

LMAO!!! now I can go to sleep..thank you! :heart:
  • judykritikos
    Options
    I wondered what you ate to get those calories. If they were protein/carbs. I think you said you ate after working out, stuffed them and then felt bloated. I like to work out at night, around 7-8 pm because it helps me not sit and eat at home at night. Change the time of day when you eat. Eat your breakfast - you need to "break the fast" and get your metabolism going. Eat a really nutitious lunch, and then some fruit or maybe soybeans an hour before you work out. If you don't eat after a big/hard workout, just drink your water and you should be ok. I would caution that if this is a normal routine, your body is going to suffer more damage. It's just not meant to exist on that hard of exercise with that little nutrition. Lots of good suggestions on peanut butter, soybeans, almonds,etc.
  • JunkFoodJane
    JunkFoodJane Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would start by always eating breakfast. Then consider what you did eat and if something isn't sitting well with you.

I like to exercise before eating when I can (I can eat with my toddler but exercising with him? Well that's how I gained 30 pounds!), but try to eat soon after, and only when that means exercise is the first thing I do (never waiting hours to exercise before I eat). I've been losing well by getting 25+ minutes in the morning and eating when I want, not tracking calories.

It's important to eat for nourishment rather than to avoid fats and calories! Nuts, nut butters, fruits, veggies and sea food help me get what I need without being uncomfortable.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    A couple of thoughts:

1) Does this happen to you on a regular basis? If not - don't worry about it... Seriously - everyone has days when they go over or under calories. Its not a problem once in a while.

2) When I do high burn days (up to 1600 cals so far doing half marathon distances) I find it really hard to eat all that back: I normally run in the morning and hate running on a full stomach so I have a light but high cal breakfast like porridge or a cliff bar (Only 250 cals max). When I get back I normally have a recovery shake - up to 300 Cals - and the rest of the day I tend to eat my normal amount with maybe slightly bigger portions, say, 300 cals over ... HOWEVER - day before I will eat maybe 300 extra cals of carbs (Pasta) and the day after I generally go over by 300-500 cals because I am HUNGRY - normally carbs and protein. So- Net over the 3 days its normally about right but on any given day I am +/-10-25% off. Apparently this is normal - alot of people find it hard to eat after a long workout.

In other words if you do this kind of thing regularly don't think in single days, think in blocks of 3-4 day averages.

3) Some high-but-healthy calorie options:
    Whole grain pasta or rice
    Porridge
    Clif bars (or similar but these are my favourite)
    Recovery Shakes
    Bananas
    Nuts (I like the Tesco Fruit and nut with cranberry mix: 30g is 120 calories and its quite easy to eat double that without feeling at all bloated).

Also - you will feel a lot better if you consume protein after a long workout so chicken, fish etc is a good choice - but I find both very filling.