"Skinny"

Options

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's just a word. I don't really hate any words, except "slacks" because I just don't like the SOUND of it.
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Even the sample of posters here view it very differently. I would think, for a man in particular, it is an insult if anything.

Toned or Fit would do me nicely.
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I just want people to say "damnnnnn"

Same here :happy:
  • p1xelate
    p1xelate Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I just want people to say "damnnnnn"

I concur!!!!!!!!!
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    The only thing to me worse than being told I am to skinny is when I was 248 pounds and everyone used to call me "Big Guy".
  • Eagles320
    Options
    Fit and Strong are always good words.
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else cringe when this word is spoken?!

I always picture a decrepit person on their death bed. Wouldn't you much rather be called fit/strong/toned/defined/muscular ... Anything else!?

What would you like people to say about you once you reach your fitness goal?

Would you settle for Wow!!!!!!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Yes. I always equate skinny to bony, frail, and thin.
    I always picture a decrepit person on their death bed. Wouldn't you much rather be called fit/strong/toned/defined/muscular ... Anything else!?

My goal is to be strong, fit, able to do what I want to, go where I want to, look lean, mean, and badass deluxe.

She looks like she could kick my *kitten* but still looks like a hot chick.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    Skinny doesn't really make me cringe.. now, "Out of the car long hair!" and "Make this easier on everyone, and tell us where it is." makes me really cringe.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options

i really, really dislike "skinny." i want to be fit, athletic, toned, strong, sexy, HOT!

also....

SLACKS SLACKS SLACKS!!!
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan of the word skinny myself. Everybody is starting to tell me how skinny I'm getting. At first I liked it because it meant they noticed, when I still struggle to see it when I look in the mirror. Then it started to bother me because I will never be Hollywood skinny (and I don't want to be), I like the idea that I'm curvy (in the appropriate places of course), it makes me feel sexy to think that I'm getting healthy and into shape without ending up looking like I need to eat something before the wind blows me over.
  • megandunn18
    megandunn18 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am fine with being called skinny...fit and toned are much better, but whatever the word someone uses to imply that I look good, I'll take it!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

i really, really dislike "skinny." i want to be fit, athletic, toned, strong, sexy, HOT!

also....

SLACKS SLACKS SLACKS!!!

That's enough of your slackery, missy.
  • chyloet
    chyloet Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Fit/lean/healthy all good ... I can't lie, I like little too. lol!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Fit, lean, strong, powerful, kickass, athletic... Let's go back to kickass. I wanna be thought of as kickass.

I've been skinny. I didn't like it.

bonesrw.jpg
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    agree with your post. what are your thoughts on being called amazing...because that's where you are. congrats on your success!!

LOL Amazing works for me! Thank you for your kind words!
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options

I prefer "skinny" over "muscular," personally... I do NOT want to look muscular when I'm done with this!

Fit... toned... thin... those are all positive-sounding to me. Thin is my favorite, I think, but I have no real problem with "skinny" either. :smile:
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Fit, lean, strong, powerful, kickass, athletic... Let's go back to kickass. I wanna be thought of as kickass.

I've been skinny. I didn't like it.

bonesrw.jpg

Kickass sounds damn good too!
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Well, honestly, in our culture, commenting on a WOMAN'S musculature is likely to carry the connotation that she's unfeminine, even though a lot of men prefer definition (and a woman who has some energy!!), so, "skinny" is the best that people can come up with. Now, if someone says that I have a "skinny" *WAIST*, I'll be happy (I tend to have a waistline that's 10-12 inches smaller than the other two measurements to begin with). But, I can see not wanting to be called, "skinny," as a general rule. It tends to carry the connotation of either skinny-fat, or bony (with the associated lack-of-curve connotation that NO woman really wants to hear).

For me, I guess I take the connotation and the tone of the speaker into account. If they obviously MEAN it positively, I will take it as such.

For a man, however, being called skinny is generally an insult!
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I enjoy being skinny and healthy and strong. None of these terms are mutually exclusive.