You know what aggravates me?

Options
2»

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    . "you're just skinny rain, shut up." "you're only eating a banana and a Greek yogurt for breakfast? UH that's not a breakfast that's a SNACK".

"
    maybe thats why they're 250 and your not. just sayin.

Yeah but you can't say that to someone! Lol, GD it's frusterating. That's why it's sooo much nicer not telling anyone and just watching my body change. ;)
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I get this all the time. I try to ignore them and be as polite as possible.
  • rbarnes9292
    rbarnes9292 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I hear that all the time, but from my husband. He is constantly getting an attitude and making fun of my change in lifestyle saying that I don't need to lose weight, but yet I've seen him talk about people putting on a few pounds that are smaller than me. I hate when anyone makes comments about other people's weight. Plus like you I need to lose what may seem like a lot to someone else, but it's not going to make me look sick it's will finally make me weigh what I should for my height. I'm short so putting on 20 - 30 lbs is really bad. Don't worry about what other people say or think. You do what makes you happy and keep fighting to reach your goals no matter what. Maybe that girl is afraid you will look better than her. LOL!!!!!
  • krisvtx8777
    Options
    Agreed. I'm constantly being told I need to eat a burrito or and oreo.....and that I'm looking like a bag a of bones etc etc.
    But everyone is right, you are the only one who has to live in your body. Be proud of your healthy choices, shrug it off, that will probably bother the person making the comment more so and then they will learn to keep those comments to themselves.
  • jodylynne66
    Options
    well, maybe she was trying to compliment you. She clearly doesn't think you need to lose 36 pounds because you don't look like you need to lose 36 pounds...but I like the "I'll know when I get there" because truly, it will be when you are comfortable in your own skin. You keep working until your body tells you it is right. :0), and you don't look like you need to lose 36 pounds, but I know I need to lose 100 and I get the same response. No one but you really knows what your body needs to do.
  • martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My exroommate said the same thing to me last year. She was paranoid I'd end up hotter than her and would steal her boyfriend. I'm sure it and insecurity thing. Do what's right for you. Who knows, you might decide that 36 more isn't where you want to be. What's important is how you perceive yourself. Don't let them get you down. You know your body better than they do.
  • jdorban
    Options
    You look fabulous!! I can't wait until I get there....
  • Leanne926
    Leanne926 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    YOU LOOK GREAT!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    The sad part is that because of the obesity epidemic in America and other places around the world to a lesser extent, people have forgotten what a healthy body weight looks like. My family thought I was skinny when I was morbidly obese last year because everyone they know is obese.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    When other people feel like they have a right to comment on how much weight they think you should lose.

I was just in the office kitchen making lunch when a co-worker asked how my diet was going, I said so far so good and that I was down around ten pounds...then, she asks me how much weight I plan to lose....when I said 36 she goes "oooo, are you sure? you dont wanna be TOO skinny. I don't think you should lose that much...."

Meanwhile, losing 36 pounds would NOT make me underweight, or even close. I would be in normal range for my height. FURTHER, this is coming from someone who is STICK thin and when nuts on a diet when she was getting married last year. But most irritating is, THIS IS NOT YOUR BODY! No one asked you for your opinion.

^Lol, she was probably just being a jealous 'skinny *****'. You're right, it's your body, your journey! I can be aggravating though when people say that kind of stuff to you!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    She probably didn't mean it that way. I'm sure she was just complimenting you.

That's what I think, too. I suspect she meant it as a way of saying you're not so big now, like in a nice way. Or maybe I'm naive :)
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    She probably didn't mean it that way. I'm sure she was just complimenting you.

This would be my impression too :). Maybe she just wanted to be supportive by letting you know that you look great now? I completely understand how it can get tiresome hearing everyone's two cents, though ^^.
  • ONE03
    ONE03 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I used to work at a retail store, and the ladies would always comment about me not needing to lose anymore weight. It didn't really bother me, because they were actually trying to be supportive, not trying to make me feel bad. So I guess it depends where the other person is coming from with their "you don't need to lose anymore weight", "you look good the way you are", etc... comments.
  • SarahBrown1979
    SarahBrown1979 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I had a boss that told me the same thing. I shrugged it off because you're right, it is YOUR body and no one should decide your ultimate goal but YOU.

Maybe she's jealous and doesn't want you to look better than her?? Just sayin.

Keep your chin up and reach the goal YOU are comfortable with!!

AGREED!! U do U girl!!!
  • erinrose07
    Options
    Crying babies aggravate me. And yes....what you said is aggravating too. My boss does this to me all the time. "You're too skinny...blah...blah...blah" as she eats a tub of pasta....
  • ahmpierce1
    ahmpierce1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I know that it might be a compliment, but it makes me feel like I have to defend my desire to be healthy! 36 (now 26) pounds may sound like a lot, but my body type is such that it's hardly noticeable when I gain or lose weight...no one has noticed the 10 pounds I've lost...and no one noticed the 20 pounds I gained last year. That's just how I'm built.

Thanks for all the positive words everyone.
    You all rock!!!
  • foraMEthatiLOVE
    Options
    Wouldn't be awesome if there was a delete button for people in real life? :laugh:

Maybe she didn't intend in a bad way but people need to realize that our personal weight goals are none of anybody's business... unless we ask their opinion on something. But please DO NOT let her get to you, you've been awesome and very dedicated, and what matters is how YOU feel in your own skin. :flowerforyou:
  • kimber_av
    Options
    There is a chance this person has an eating disorder. and possibly doesnt want you to get sucked into the addiction of losing weight because she knows how painful it is.

just a thought.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I think that a lot of people overestimate how different you will look in 10, 20, 30, or 50 pound loss. When I tell people I still have another 30 pounds to lose before I am at my goal, they say that's much too skinny..but it's not, they just perceive it to be a huge number. I think it is especially "deceiving" to others when you carry your weight well and don't look the weight you are at currently.

But I totally agree with you, people should not tell you things like that because then you're less likely to talk about it with them in the future. They should just congratulate you on your progress and encourage you to keep up the good work, instead of suddenly turning it around and making you out to be the other end of the spectrum..

^^ So true. When I told the few people that know my true weight what it was, they were flabbergasted that it was much higher than they thought it'd be. Truth is, most people just haven't got a clue what you weigh or what you should weigh. They're ignorant and not worth arguing with. Not that it doesn't offend and hurt your feelings along the way! Idiots.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    my spouse thinks my goal weight 120-130 is off base, but it was my natural weight in highschool and I was mostly fit but definately 5-10 lbs over.
    It is possible with the extra muscle that I should be more like 130-140 but I won't know for sure till I'm close to that weight.

I like the idea of throwing my Dr under the bus, because she's not going to meet any of them for one thing, and hippa wouldn't let her talk about it anyway ;-P

I also have the lovely "I'm trying to get off all my meds (insulin)" excuse.

Oh and on the everybody's obese thing: I'm really, really tired of the "It's okay to be fat" bs train. Because it's not. Even if you are healthy in every respect as far as glucose, cardio, and bp it's still doing horrible things to your joints and will eventually cause issues as you get older. Why suffer at all if you don't have to? NO its not okay for people to belittle you because of your weight or to hate yourself or other self destructive or abusive behavior, and no you are not a fatty, you are a person. It doesn't define who you are, That stuff does need to stop, but not at the expense of saying I'm 5ft 4 and 260lbs and that's okay, because it isn't.

Good luck and don't worry, just toss your DR under the bus or use a med excuse and they can't say anything else... unless they work in the health field, then I don't know what you do. :huh: