Question about mac and cheese..

Options

Replies

• ygglove
    ygglove Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If you're going to eat cheese and dairy, go for the full fat stuff. You don't want the fat free crap.
    <-- These guns are a product of the full fat stuff.

<---- same with this body!

Everything in moderation. I love mac and cheese :D

As long as you are in a calorie deficit and hit your macros it will not halt or slow down your progress.

I don't pay much attention to sodium, I don't have any heart problems that I need to. Sure it masks weight loss temporarily,b ut it doesnt mess with fat loss so i dont care

I'm just worried about it stalling my progress.

Oh I understand :]

Just wondering, what about the mac and cheese makes you think it will stall your fat loss? Just curious :]

Because it's processed, and it's a pasta, not even a whole wheat one. I'm not really sure. I used to drink a can of soda a day, and pastas, I'd have fast food or take out at least 3 times a week.. maybe more. So I'm not really sure what is bad or good. I just don't want to cut out all of these bad things, and then be disappointed in my self.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Have the grilled chicken and some grilled veggies and sprinkle them with parm. You will feel much better about your choices.

However, if you choose to eat the boxed mac and cheese...then you are making the decision to eat crap. No whining afterwards about what a bad decision you made. We don't want to hear it.

Harsh eh? Its not even that bad of a decision.

Agreed. It isn't the end of the world if she eats some boxed mac and cheese and honestly, being rude and harsh about it isn't necessary. While it may not be the best thing for you, you won't die from eating it once in awhile. Relax. This shouldn't be such a do or die matter.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    If you're going to eat cheese and dairy, go for the full fat stuff. You don't want the fat free crap.

As long as you are in a calorie deficit and hit your macros it will not halt or slow down your progress.

I don't pay much attention to sodium, I don't have any heart problems that I need to. Sure it masks weight loss temporarily,b ut it doesnt mess with fat loss so i dont care

Just wondering, what about the mac and cheese makes you think it will stall your fat loss? Just curious :]

Because it's processed, and it's a pasta, not even a whole wheat one. I'm not really sure. I used to drink a can of soda a day, and pastas, I'd have fast food or take out at least 3 times a week.. maybe more. So I'm not really sure what is bad or good. I just don't want to cut out all of these bad things, and then be disappointed in my self.

Well good for you for trying to make the change! Especially cutting out some soda. Lots of empty calories that can be replaced with some full of vitamins :D

Pasta is not the enemy I promise you. Carbs just have a bad rep! Processed food is not a nutritious, but will not stop or slow progress. I am a believe of everything in moderation. Life is too short to cut out everything right? :flowerforyou:

If you really feel bad or don't want to eat processed food often, I would suggest a "cheat meal" once a week or so :]
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If you think this is a one time craving, or if it's something you only want every few months and the box stuff is what you crave, then have it and just drink some extra water, make room for it in your count for the day. If it's something you want weekly, find a healthier alternative.

This is sound advice, and I agree completely.

I avoid junk foods and processed foods as much as I can, but once or twice a month I want pizza, taco bell, wings, subs, fried shrimp....something not so great for you. I limit the amount I eat, and make sure it fits my calorie counts...or sometimes give myself a day off.
    I also agree with the 'go for full fat' school of thought. I do use 1 percent milk and fat free greek yogurt, though. I don't even notice that the yogurt is fat free. I don't like skim milk or fat free regular yogurt, though. Usually 'fat free' and 'light' foods are higher in sugars, corn syrup, things I cannot pronounce, etc.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Well good for you for trying to make the change! Especially cutting out some soda. Lots of empty calories that can be replaced with some full of vitamins :D

Pasta is not the enemy I promise you. Carbs just have a bad rep! Processed food is not a nutritious, but will not stop or slow progress. I am a believe of everything in moderation. Life is too short to cut out everything right? :flowerforyou:

If you really feel bad or don't want to eat processed food often, I would suggest a "cheat meal" once a week or so :]

This.
  • ygglove
    Options
    If you think this is a one time craving, or if it's something you only want every few months and the box stuff is what you crave, then have it and just drink some extra water, make room for it in your count for the day. If it's something you want weekly, find a healthier alternative.

This is sound advice, and I agree completely.

I avoid junk foods and processed foods as much as I can, but once or twice a month I want pizza, taco bell, wings, subs, fried shrimp....something not so great for you. I limit the amount I eat, and make sure it fits my calorie counts...or sometimes give myself a day off.
    I also agree with the 'go for full fat' school of thought. I do use 1 percent milk and fat free greek yogurt, though. I don't even notice that the yogurt is fat free. I don't like skim milk or fat free regular yogurt, though. Usually 'fat free' and 'light' foods are higher in sugars, corn syrup, things I cannot pronounce, etc.

Thanks!
  • ygglove
    Options

Thanks. I do have a "cheat meal". Normally I have chicken and veggies, fruits, salads, or fish and something.. but once a week I have steak! yum
  • ygglove
    Options
    I want to put "Cesar" on my refrigerator, that was sooooo very funny. Thanks for posting it.

In my opinion if the urge is so very strong then there might be another issue at hand. Mac & Cheese is one of those "comfort" foods that we use to make us feel better. Maybe you feel a bit restricted with your diet and want to soothe yourself. If this is the case, its not your taste buds doing the talking but rather your heart. I say, treat yourself to something else that is soothing, how about a great spa day? You don't even have to go to an expensive spa for the treat. Carve out some "me" time for this weekend and give yourself some pampering. Go all out, give yourself a manicure, pedicure, facial, light up some fragrant candles and play some soothing music. Enjoy and you may find you have no more cravings. This will make you AND Cesar very happy.

Good idea. It's been about a month since I've had a pedi or a facial!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I actually eat steak regularly :] Eye of round is really good! Only 5g of fat and 163 calories for 5 oz :]

No reason to cut out red meat of you don't want to... great source of protein! :D
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I make mac and cheese for my kids once and a while. I have even been know to have a portion myself and gasp, I still lost weight. I don't eat it everyday or even every week. Like cookie monster says, it is a sometimes food. I do make mine a little differently, I only use 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter and 1/4 cup lowfat milk. My family has yet to notice that changed how I made it. I also make a number of homemade versions and your really do not save that much on calories by making your own,but I don't use fat free cheese because in my experience fat free cheese does not melt very well and has an odd mouth feel.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    One dish one day isn't going to wreck you. One dish every few months isn't going to wreck you. One dish on a daily or weekly basis might, especially if eating lots of processed foods is something you had trouble with in the past.

Personally, I feel like I can have a box of mac n cheese every few months and be ok. My diet is largely home cooked from whole foods, and the occasional processed item isn't something I worry about. Boxed mac n cheese is one of those foods I grew up eating, and no homemade mac n cheese will ever be it. No matter how good, or how much I like other mac n cheese, sometimes I want that crap my mom made me because it's what my mom made me, so I have it and don't sweat it. As long as I'm within my calorie count for the day, I see no problem for myself. YMMV.

^^ This
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    What about making your own with whole wheat pasta and fat free shredded cheddar/mozzarella and skim milk? Much better for your and you won't have to feel so guilty? Or, work it into your calories for the day. The Panera Bread mac n cheese is like 800 calories for a bowl, but if you got in a good workout you could have it and stick to plan...
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    [Deleted my original thoughts]

Nevermind... this is exactly the kind of thread I should avoid!
  • patilee
    patilee Posts: 125
    Options
    Now I'm craving Mac and Cheese. I saw a recipe that uses lowfat ricotta and butternut squash (and cheddar cheese). Maybe I'll have that for dinner.
    :smile:
  • rockerbabyy
    Options
    that looks amazing! definitely going to be trying that one
  • thinktink78
    Options
    Sounds yummy! Just printed it out. I am soooo gonna try it this weekend.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Just a warning about fat free cheese: don't eat it!

Thanks for saying what I was thinking. And does that stuff even melt?
  • rockerbabyy
    Options
    Just a warning about fat free cheese: don't eat it!

Thanks for saying what I was thinking. And does that stuff even melt?
    i think it tries to >.> but it looks like plastic when it does
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Me, too! I love my steak. Tonight we had burgers and I put tomato and blue cheese on mine...SOOO good!
    It is a little higher in calories, but absolutely worth it! My fav beef is a rib eye steak, but they are a little high in fat, so I limit those to once a month. Top sirloins have been on sale often, and those have been great. Way better than a london broil for sure :)
    And wine. I love that. Ice cream. Gelato. Cheese of any kind. Bread. I use half an half and real sugar in my coffee, and most days eat around 2000 cals (I also exercise 4-6 days a week.) So, I guess the point to my ramble is that it is about balance, and don't get freaked out by eating a little processed food or skipping a workout rarely. It is a process and a lifestyle change. I find that as long as I measure and weigh my food, I continue to lose.