Can you have To Much protein?

Options
According to my food diary I'm suppose to have 60 grams of protein a day, but I'm usually eating around 80 to 85 grams. Can you eat too much protein? Is there anything bad that will happen by having all this protein?

Replies

• chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    You build muscle :) I eat over 100g a day with no ill effects.
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    Yes, there is very bad stuff related to eating protein only:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet

Still, eating a bit over your proteins recommended by MFP shouldn't be dangerous, I do it myself.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You can have to much but it is very hard to do. MFP defaults to 15% protein and a balanced diet can consist of up to 30% (double MFP's numbers) and many go as high as 50% protein, more than 3 times MFP default.

You can change the % to better suit your diet by going to goals, change goal, custom, then save changes.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    You're fine.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    I could tell you, but you wouldn't believe me, and I'd just be drowned out by the crowd assuring you that no, you can't have too much.

But yes, you can. And most people get way more than they need, unless they are in bodybuilding competition. :)
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    If you're eating like 400 grams of protein every day, then that can cause problems...

Around 1g per lean body mass in pounds is pretty safe, and is recommended by many :smile:
  • sam__is__healthy
    Options
    If you are going by the MFP pre sets they are really low, a good place is anywhere from 10% to 30% of your total calories depending on your body goals. I try to end up on the higher end of that spectrum with 90g
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    NOT too much! Hahaha! Don't ever worry about protein, eat as much as you want/can.

1) MFP's default has REALLY high carbs and REALLY low protein.
    2) ~30% of protein is burned just digesting it - but only 5% of fat is burned digesting.
    3) the more protein you eat, the more muscle mass your body can preserve while you lose weight, meaning a higher percentage of the weight you lose is fat and not muscle!

100g+ a day is recommended for weight loss with minimal muscle loss, but 50g+ is just fine for your average person. TOO MUCH would be hundreds of grams, and then your body would just pee it out. Way too much can strain your liver, but you'd need to be eating monstrous bodybuilder amounts.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    You build muscle :) I eat over 100g a day with no ill effects.

Most people only build muscle eating a surplus. But protein helps a lot when you are doing that.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options

Still, eating a bit over your proteins recommended by MFP shouldn't be dangerous, I do it myself.

I WANT TO EAT THAT STACK OF PANCAKES in your profile pic..................

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............pancakes................................
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I could tell you, but you wouldn't believe me, and I'd just be drowned out by the crowd assuring you that no, you can't have too much.

But yes, you can. And most people get way more than they need, unless they are in bodybuilding competition. :)
    Don't bring it up if you aren't going to say it. How much do you think is too much, and why?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

LOL Umm...I'm not sure if you're trolling or if you're actually serious here.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options

You've gotta be ******* kidding me with this, right?!
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options

Ketosis is not caused by too much Protein. Ketosis is caused by running out of glycogen stores, which means you have not eaten enough Carbohydrates.
  • joejccva71
    Options

You've gotta be ******* kidding me with this, right?!

LOL I know...thats what I was thinking.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    It's on the internet...must be true.
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit slow when it comes to forum speak, but what is 'trolling'? :embarassed:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I found this online.

Find out how consuming too much protein can harm your body.

By Miriam Nelson
    WebMD Feature

Reviewed By Gary Vogin

Seems like everyone at the gym is doing it: filling up on protein to bulk up those biceps. But it's a misconception. Eating extra protein actually doesn't do much toward boosting your muscle mass and strength.

In fact, medical research shows that consuming too much protein -- more than 30% of your total daily caloric intake -- could actually harm your body, says protein expert Gail Butterfield, PhD, RD, director of Nutrition Studies at the Palo Alto Veterans' Administration Medical Center and nutrition lecturer at Stanford University.

She says that a diet containing excess protein can have the following adverse effects:

Adding more protein but not more calories or exercise to your diet won't help you build more muscle mass, but it may put your other bodily systems under stress.
    Eating more protein and increasing total caloric intake while maintaining the same exercise level will build an equal amount of additional fat and muscle mass, according to a study published in 1992 in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.
    Too Much Protein
    So think twice when you consider sacrificing the carbohydrates for a protein-dominant diet, Butterfield says. Drastically cutting carbohydrates from your diet may force your body to fight back.

She says that's because a diet in which protein makes up more than 30% of your caloric intake causes a buildup of toxic ketones. So-called ketogenic diets can thrust your kidneys into overdrive in order to flush these ketones from your body. As your kidneys rid your body of these toxic ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily.

That water loss often shows up on the scale as weight loss. But along with losing water, you lose muscle mass and bone calcium. The dehydration also strains your kidneys and puts stress on your heart.

And dehydration from a ketogenic diet can make you feel weak and dizzy, give you bad breath, or lead to other problems.

How Much Protein Do I Need?
    The amount of protein you require depends on your weight and your daily caloric intake. Most Americans consume more than enough protein in their daily diets. A few specific groups of people are at risk for being protein-deficient, including elderly women and people with illnesses or eating disorders. A protein deficiency is defined as eating 50% to 75% of the recommended amount of daily protein, Butterfield explains.

Ideally, you should consume 0.36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight, according to recommended daily allowances (RDA) set by the Food and Nutrition Board. So if you weigh 170 pounds, you need about 61 grams of protein each day.

Protein should also make up approximately 15% of your total daily caloric intake, also according to the RDA. In a diet of 1,800 calories a day, for example, about 270 of those calories should come from protein.

It's Essential
    Although limiting protein intake is important, you should also realize that protein is essential to our bodies' normal functions. It assists in synthesizing enzymes and hormones, maintaining fluid balance, and regulating such vital functions as building antibodies against infection, blood clotting, and scar formation.

Protein is also a building block for our muscles, bones, cartilage, skin, hair, and blood. Protein-rich foods include meat, cheese, milk, fish, and eggs. For vegetarians, protein can be found in soy products such as tofu as well as in combinations of foods, such as rice or corn with beans.

Whether you are an avid strength trainer, a marathon runner, or just an average exerciser, a balanced diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, fish, and complex carbohydrates is what nutritionists recommend.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    I'm a bit slow when it comes to forum speak, but what is 'trolling'? :embarassed:

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

Mount Sinai Medical School's Nutrition department recommends that people losing weight or athletes get about 0.5g-0.75g of protein per day, per pound of body weight.

So if you weight 150, you should get between 75-115g per day at that weight. A 200 pund man should get around 100-150.

However, there is absolutely no evidance that eating even 2x this amount would hurt anyone.