How to make a tuna sandwich taste good without mayo?

Options
Trying to get some fish in my diet. Working my way toward salmon. Figured I'd start with a tuna sandwich. All the recipes I've found are loaded with mayo so I tried it plain with a lot of lettuce and tomato on whole wheat bread. It was white albacore in water and tasted dry and kinda blah. Any suggestions on how to fix it without making it bad for me?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Dijon Mustard and just a little bit of fat free kraft miracle whip. You can get away with under 1tbsp of miracle whip if you use a good blop of dijon.

Also, do you work for general mills? I worked there for 5 years before I resigned. Wife still works there.
  • AEcklar813
    AEcklar813 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Lite Miracle Whip or Lite Ranch works good. Also, I know someone who squeezes fresh lemon juice on her tuna with some pepper.
  • massey2011
    Options
    Why not try low fat Mayo? Or another kind of dressing that is low fat?
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    you could do light mayo - hellman's tastes like the real thing.

you coudl do an oil and vinegar mix instead of just regular...

im a tuna *kitten* and can't live without my light mayo and 1tbsp which is all i need is 35 calories and then i put in spices...mayo isnt your enemy dude :)
  • Tanadog
    Tanadog Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't think a little mayo is that bad. I just put in a tablespoon and that works fine, it's only 100 calories, and well worth it in my opinion!
  • genmills2001
    Options
    Oh, and I looked into a subway tuna sandwich to see if it was relatively healthy. 540 calories for a 6 inch with no condiments or cheese. That's pretty steep for something people might mistake as low calorie or healthy.
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I use mustard.
  • Emberlure
    Emberlure Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    fat free sour cream ;)
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. It can be dry. I usually use 2 tsp of light mayo, 1 tsp mustard, 1 TBSP onion & throw some lettuce in a wrap or on bread with it.
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek Yogurt.
    Yes, I've tried it... and it's delish!
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I use 1 tblspoon of light mayo and 1tblspoon of light sour cream and it is GOOD! ( I also add a squirt of mustard and lemon juice, minced dried onions, and a bit of sweet relish) but the light or fat free sour cream really adds moisture and cuts the mayo taste. You could also use nonfat greek yogurt in place of the sour cream. very good!
  • latinahada
    Options
    Sandwich Spread...It has like 35 calories per Tbsp I believe.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    thats why you never eat that out...you go out to eat to enjoy the things you wouldnt normally make at home...you can make tuna yummy at home .. eff subways...
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I used to get tuna salads at Subway Monday through Friday, thinking I was making a good choice, until I was told by the workers at Subway that their tuna is the only thing they use real mayo in. They use their light mayo for everything else. Go figure.
  • pastthefactories
    Options
    non-fat plain yogurt, you honestly don't taste it at all, at least I couldn't tell a difference between it and mayo!
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Trying to get some fish in my diet. Working my way toward salmon. Figured I'd start with a tuna sandwich. All the recipes I've found are loaded with mayo so I tried it plain with a lot of lettuce and tomato on whole wheat bread. It was white albacore in water and tasted dry and kinda blah. Any suggestions on how to fix it without making it bad for me?

spicy mustard. Miracle whip works...but it's pretty "chemically" for me.

Ojai makes a lemonaise...not too bad on the cals.
  • genmills2001
    Options
    Never worked for general mills. The name comes from a gaming group I used to be in years and years ago. We played first person shooters and were called the cereal killers. I was the leader and of course we had captain crunch and special k and several others.
  • comeback0903
    comeback0903 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I looked into a subway tuna sandwich to see if it was relatively healthy. 540 calories for a 6 inch with no condiments or cheese. That's pretty steep for something people might mistake as low calorie or healthy.

Imade this mistake last week.... Do you know a Wendys spicy chicken sandwich light mayo is 460 less than what the healthier option which was subway!
  • CalderaGal
    Options
    I can tuna
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    1 tbl finely chopped or grated onion
    1/4 cup finelt chopped water chestnut
    Dash Celctic salt
    1 tsp tumeric
    1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
    Romaine lettuce
    Sliced dill pickle (sliced for sandwiches)

Mix together

Put single layer of lettuce on multigrain bread
    Top with half the tuna mixture
    Add two pickle slices
    Add another layer of lettuce and another slice of bread

OR- make it in a tomato basil wrap OR eat it with no bread or wrap
  • deb_rn
    deb_rn Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I agree with Hellman's light, just use enough so it isnt dry! And no, unfortunately it won't taste as good as Subway!