What's the lowest BMI you'd go to?

Options

Replies

• E_Cee83
    E_Cee83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i am 5'7" and i like 19 as my BMI. i am currently 18.6 and i think thats ok for MY body type.

I have been as low as 16.2 but that was FAR too thin and lean for me.

Its all about how you feel. Some people look better than others with the same BMI.... its not really accurate and i never really gauge anything on or around BMI totals.

If you feel good, then thats what counts.

Kepp up the good work! xx
  • navyw1fe
    navyw1fe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Whatever 135lb. at 5'4'' is.

thats my same goal and im the same height :happy:
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    i love how people with "underweight" goals call BMI nonsense. I can see the bodybuilders/athletes who are super lean and are "overweight" but underweight people make me want to scream (or those with underweight goals).

There are REAL health implications for being underweight as a woman regardless of what you think is healthy/okay for your frame and build. Some people are NATURALLY underweight..that's one thing, but dieting to become underweight is something else entirely.

Some problems associated with being underweight (for those not NATURALLY that way)

Weakened Immune System
    Underweight individuals often have fragile immune systems, putting them at risk of contracting infections and viruses. They may also feel weak and experience chronic fatigue.

Osteoporosis
    Failing to consume food with the proper nutrients can cause lasting damage to the bones. Osteoporosis, which is linked to insufficient amounts of calcium in the diet, is a condition that causes the bones to become weak and brittle. Underweight people are at risk for developing osteoporosis, according to the National Osteoporosis Foundation.

Reproductive Issues
    Women who are very thin may stop ovulating, experience irregular periods or face fertility issues. Underweight women who are pregnant may go into premature labor or deliver babies with low birth weights, which can lead to developmental problems.

Anemia
    Underweight individuals are also at risk of developing anemia. People with anemia have a low number of red blood cells, usually as a result of an iron-deficient diet. This poses health risks because red blood cells contain hemoglobin, which is a protein that helps carry oxygen throughout the body.

Hair Loss
    When people are underweight, they may experience hair thinning or loss as a result of malnutrition. Additionally, people who are drastically thin may grow a fine layer of hair called lanugo on their arms, legs or stomach.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i have no idea. i know that i would like to be healthy, though.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I think 25 is as low as this old man can go..
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Well, I want 18-20% body fat. My BMI right now is 22. I'm 5'9" and 150lbs. I calculated the other day that I'd be around 140lbs at 18% and that's about 20 BMI.

BMI doesn't take frame size or muscles into a count, so yeah, someone my height with a smaller frame would be healthier at lower BMI. My husband who is my height but has about 10lbs more muscle of course has a higher BMI.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    My lean mass prevents me from ever being in the "Normal" BMI range. My goal BF is 18-19% (athletic, 8 lbs away) but I would still be in the overweight category
  • haykicks
    Options
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    BMI isn't the most accurate measure of health. When I ate around 1800-2000 calories a day (I counted calories), I maintained a weight of 100-102, which is the bottom range of healthy or slightly underweight for my height.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    My goal weight would put me at 21.9, and I think anything under that is too low for me.

As a teenager my BMI was about 15. Definitely do NOT want to get back to that!
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Right in the middle of healthy for me, that's my aim as my weight fluctuates a bit anyway. However, I'm aiming lower for a race next year when it'll take all I've got just to get me around, so I plan to lose even say 4lb more or so to help with that :-)
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Right in the middle of healthy for me, that's my aim as my weight fluctuates a bit anyway. However, I'm aiming lower for a race next year when it'll take all I've got just to get me around, so I plan to lose even say 4lb more or so to help with that :-)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    BMI isn't the most accurate measure of health. When I ate around 1800-2000 calories a day (I counted calories), I maintained a weight of 100-102, which is the bottom range of healthy or slightly underweight for my height.

well then you weren't eating enough. you were probably underestimating how active you were and therefore 1800-2000 wasn't appropriate despite it sounding like a nice, healthy number.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

I have to eat over 2300 calories to maintain my BMI of 20. I don't think that means I have to be lighter, and the BMI advice is based on statistics that I don't think take calorie intake into consideration at all.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

I always find it interesting how people lose weight for sport. I have one friend on mfp doing super marathons, etc, who is doing that, and a triathlete colleague who has a skinny time of year too. I don't know if I'd do that or not.
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    i love how people with "underweight" goals call BMI nonsense. I can see the bodybuilders/athletes who are super lean and are "overweight" but underweight people make me want to scream (or those with underweight goals).

There are REAL health implications for being underweight as a woman regardless of what you think is healthy/okay for your frame and build. Some people are NATURALLY underweight..that's one thing, but dieting to become underweight is something else entirely.

Some problems associated with being underweight (for those not NATURALLY that way)

Weakened Immune System
    Underweight individuals often have fragile immune systems, putting them at risk of contracting infections and viruses. They may also feel weak and experience chronic fatigue.

Osteoporosis
    Failing to consume food with the proper nutrients can cause lasting damage to the bones. Osteoporosis, which is linked to insufficient amounts of calcium in the diet, is a condition that causes the bones to become weak and brittle. Underweight people are at risk for developing osteoporosis, according to the National Osteoporosis Foundation.

Reproductive Issues
    Women who are very thin may stop ovulating, experience irregular periods or face fertility issues. Underweight women who are pregnant may go into premature labor or deliver babies with low birth weights, which can lead to developmental problems.

Anemia
    Underweight individuals are also at risk of developing anemia. People with anemia have a low number of red blood cells, usually as a result of an iron-deficient diet. This poses health risks because red blood cells contain hemoglobin, which is a protein that helps carry oxygen throughout the body.

Hair Loss
    When people are underweight, they may experience hair thinning or loss as a result of malnutrition. Additionally, people who are drastically thin may grow a fine layer of hair called lanugo on their arms, legs or stomach.

That!!

BMI should be from 18.5 to 25 (unless you are asian or w/e) and it is still a wide range... so all complexions are meant to fit in that range!

For my height it is considered to be normal between 77 and 57 kg.... that's 20kg range! Big one if you ask me.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get to the mid range of healthy.....so approx 22 for me would be ideal 21.8 but 120.7 would be nice.

I want to be muscular though so I probably won't reach those numbers and I could end up being leaner/smaller than I would be if I was a "skinny fat" person solely worried about the lbs on the scale.

at this point I am mostly basing my ideal weight on how clothing fits.
  • BattyMama
    BattyMama Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    17.7 or 19.2 my goal is to hit 120 pounds but I am more worried about body fat then BMI my goal for body fat % is 8 to 13.:smile:
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this, it is a very interesting question.
  • tmt2003
    tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have been listening to "fat to fit" radio podcast. They say BMI is a guide. Get to a healthy BMI then focus on lowering your % body fat with strength training. Don't worry about the numbers on the scale, You should only be concerned with % BF, that will eliminate double chins, love handles etc.

Teresa