How to make a tuna sandwich taste good without mayo?

Options

Replies

• LaSutopia
    LaSutopia Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    mustard + DILL relish (not sweet relish which is filled with sugar!), sometimes if I have calories left over to use I put in a table spoon of mayo which is 100 cal. but usually not.

see dill relish....This. I have never tried the mustard. This is what I do.

1 can tuna or albacore in water---about 100 cals
    3 hard boiled egg whites (no yolk)---17 cals per egg white
    1-2 tbsp dill relish---0 cals
    1 tbsp kraft mayo with OLIVE OIL (or another brand, they are pretty much the same)--45 cals per tbsp

The mayo made with olive oil is ONLY 45 CALS! It usually comes with a green label and top. That plus the juice in the relish makes it a lot better.

Plus I use the Sara Lee 45 cal (per slice) bread and that mixture makes 2 big sandwiches for a grand total of about 376 for the whole shabang! You can eat both at once or save half for another sandwich later.
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    i never grew up with mayo so dont understand people's obsession with it. my friend uses natural yoghurt as a substitute.
    i also never grew up with salad dressings.
    health freaks as parents did have some rewards :D
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    Lots of replies really fast, thanks everyone for the input. Kinda rough because I'm a picky eater (and of course I love the stuff that is the worst for me) but I have hope. I feel like my tastes might be coming around now that I'm eating like a person should.

Sounds like you might like it better if you start out a little easier on yourself. Add some relish...it isn't bad on cals but probaly not too great on sugar....if you use sweet pickle relish. I like to sprinkle dill on top of my tuna. Also try adding a tomato with it and placing the tuna into a leaf of lettuce. Don't make too many hardcore changes too fast. I found the easiest thing to do was to start by just cutting HALF of what I would have normally used and slowly worked down from there. It helps you not feel soo deprived and before you know it you will actually crave food the "healthy" way! : )
  • McMehu
    McMehu Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Subway's Tuna is 50% mayo almost (I work there).. it is just tuna and mayo.. you can do it healthier at home..

If you add just a spoon or two of low fat mayo.. a tiny squirt of ranch..or fat free ranch.. and some relish.. and pepper.. mm that is how I would make it at home...

Try more tuna.. more veggies.. and less sauces..

possibly on wheat bread or even a wheat wrap instead of white bread?
  • McMehu
    McMehu Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to eat fish try some cod fillets baked with some lemon juice and pepper.. the more lemon juice the less fishy.. haha
  • soniyamas
    soniyamas Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    im a weirdo, but i like a can of tuna on toasted wheat bread with lots of pepper and a slice of cheddar >.>
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Mustardddd!!!!!! My fave condiment if you can't tell. :-)

Onion, garlic, paprika, and pepper.
  • Scarl3tt
    Options
    Deli mustard is a good idea or maybe try some pesto made with a good olive oil for a healthy fat.
  • xwllflwrx
    xwllflwrx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I am picky too so I never put veggies or relish in my tuna...blech.

I started using mustard (brown or yellow works good), and sometimes a little balsamic vinegar is good, gives it a little zip.

I also season mine pretty heavily too---pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, tarragon, dill. Lots of dill.
  • geri1955
    geri1955 Posts: 106
    Options
    Go for the low fat mayo!! Just count it as your calories and *kitten* some lettuce and tomato for a filler!!!:smile:
  • Cherisehirz
    Options
    I do plain greek yogurt with spicy brown mustard or dijon mustard. Its tangy and yummy! You can add pickles, romaine, chopped almonds/walnuts/pecans, apples, grapes, celery, spinach, etc... for a little crunch. It's very satisfying!
  • caitymay1
    caitymay1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have two ways to beat the dry flaky tuna: 1 tbsp hellmanns 1/2 the fat mayo, and 1 or 2 laughing cow cheese triangles - you can also get "light" laughing cow cheese, even better! The cheese only has 35 calories per piece.

My other fave is to add a couple tbsp of kraft calorie-wise dressing (my favorite is the sundried tomato and oregano, but the greek feta is another good one). It's good on a sandwich, or on it's own :smile:
  • Tyler4846
    Options
    I buy the pouches of seasoned/flavored tuna, and eat it straight out of the pouch,
    tastes pretty good.
  • hiemerapril
    hiemerapril Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Light Ranch Dressing, I love Ranch on tuna!
  • michy_elliot
    Options
    I buy the oil packed tuna, it's much more moist and flavoursome. Obviously higher in fat, but if you get olive oil packed it's good fats. You could also try avocado, that adds a lovely creamy texture. Mix it into the tuna, to use it as a spread instead of mayo/butter. The flavoured tuna is also delicious, here in Aus you can get 'smoked' flavour which is great! Probably high in salt, but so good! I also like the sundried tomato flavour, or lemon and pepper.
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Dijon mustard and balsamic vinegar
  • bigunme
    bigunme Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I sometimes opt to use honey mustard and will add some dried cranberries or you could just add the
    tuna to eggbeaters with salt & pepper or Ms Dash seasoning for breakfast (drain first if using can tuna).
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Chilli!
    I don't know if you can get Sirena tuna with chilli in your part of the world - look out for it, it's delicious.

Or avocado, that adds creaminess and taste and although it has calories, it is good for you.