Runners advice! Shin Splints

Options
2»

Replies

• vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Re running through them - not a good idea at all. I'd definitely go an see a Dr first, if only to rule out compartment syndrome. I've had the poxy shin splints - I got them years ago in both legs which I 'ran through' - collapsed in a heap in the end, couldn't go any further. Years went by, started again and the left leg started up immediately.

I rested again and replaced my trainers (which made a huge difference) and have now re-started C25K. Stretching works really well for me (10 mins to cool down), as does icing my shin, and I do one of my three runs a week on grass. Don't increase your distance or speed too quickly. Mine hasn't gone away, but it 'tweaks' rather than hurts, which I can live with.

Before you decide what exercises to focus on, find type of shin splints you have - posterior or anterior as this will affect the exercises you need to do. I found that taping my shin when I started out helped too. Here's an exercise which is helping me out - I have anterior shin splints, but you'll find loads on youtube. Good luck, it's really frustrating I know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hafXc1THHiI
  • KelleyJoL
    KelleyJoL Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was just going on to ask about shin splints!!! I've never had them before, and am clueless were to even start. I usually run with my dog, and she is not a bit understanding. Today when I slowed because of pain, she turned, grabbed the leash and gave me a tug and ran! I am delighted to have such a dedicated partner, but man, my shins hurt! What should I do?
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    i"m not a runner (yet), but I was getting really NASTY shin splints when I first starting doing the 30DS. I'm a bigger girl and the jumping/high impact was killing my shins. I had to ice them and rest. Now I don't get them anymore (had them for a good 2-3 weeks before they subsided).
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Do cross training for a while (couple of weeks), then you can maintain your cardiovascular fitness without aggravating your injury. I get them too if I am not careful but I have now invested in an elliptical so I can maintain my fitness. I am dealing with a heel injury right now, so I am in the same boat as you ... back on the elliptical.. and I thought I was all heeled up....
  • cbinnd
    cbinnd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I was just going on to ask about shin splints!!! I've never had them before, and am clueless were to even start. I usually run with my dog, and she is not a bit understanding. Today when I slowed because of pain, she turned, grabbed the leash and gave me a tug and ran! I am delighted to have such a dedicated partner, but man, my shins hurt! What should I do?

Read above... everyone has awesome suggestions! But I've concluded NOT to run thru them. AZTrailrunner has great posts to read for you. So glad I posted this... now I feel like I can start again :)