Stairway to Heaven--November Challenge (Open)

Options
Looking for a November Challenge?
All the other groups closed? Looking for something that is easy to do, requires no equipment, and doesn’t add a ton of time to your workout? Well, try this one out!

Welcome to the ***Stairway to Heaven--November Challenge (Open)***

Overview:
This is a stair stepping/ stair climbing challenge. Basically climb stairs. Count them. Report back. At the end of the month, the number of stairs you climbed will tell you which winner’s circle you’ve entered (for we all—as long as we are fighting for a better life and improved health—are winners!).

Troposphere – 1 to 2,500 (or approx. 84 stairs a day)
Stratosphere – 2,501 to 5,000 (or approx. 167 stairs a day)
Mesosphere – 5,001 to 8,500 (or approx. 283 stairs a day)
Thermosphere – 8,501 to 10,000 (or approx. 334 stairs a day)
Exosphere – 10,001 to 12,500 (or approx. 417 stairs a day)

Details:
Each day you should report back to this thread with your number of stairs you’ve climbed that day and your overall total. **Please include date because we are all in different time zones**. For example:

And that’s it!
Yes, you can join late. (Just introduce yourself, start steppin’ and start countin’)
Yes, count the stairs you climb at work.
Yes you can count the three steps you hop up onto the bus in the morning.
Yes, you can do this on a stair/step aerobics thingy. (up, up, down, down = 1 step) {just as a side note, when I put on some music I can knock out 100 steps in about 3 minutes on my aerobic step. Don’t be afraid to shoot for the Exosphere!}
Yes, you can pile up a couple of phonebooks (or some 2 x 4s, or some cinderblocks, or . . . be creative, but BE CAREFUL!!)
Yes, if you have absolutely nowhere to get the bulk of these done, I have a modification for you. Please message me!
Any other questions? Post ‘em here, or message me.

TIPS:

1) It can be kinda hard to remember every stair you climbed throughout the day. Keep a small notepad or piece of paper in your pocket. At work, I keep taped a piece of paper on the back of my ID card and keep a pen clipped to my lanyard so I can tally as I go.

2) Don't count every step, every time. If, for example, you're going to take the stairs at work, count how many stairs from the first floor to the second floor ONCE and make a note of that. Then the next time you climb those stairs, you're not going to be trying to keep a running total in your head from earlier in the day. For example, I know that I climb 73 steps to get from the first floor to the fourth floor at work. So, when I get to the fourth floor, I just mark down 73 stairs on my little paper (yes, the one on my badge). I total all my stairs up at the end of the day. It's always more than I expect!

Hope to see you climbing the Stairway to Heaven alongside me!
~TheGlitterMouse

Replies

• Shajsum
    Shajsum Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Sounds great!!!! Im in!!!!!! Just the motivation I need to climb those stairs at work :wink:
  • mochama12487
    mochama12487 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    i have never thought to count the number of stairs I climb each day because I am up and down the steps at work all day, and then I climb steps all the time at home too. Maybe I will try to keep track of my stairs each day and make myself climb more.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    This sounds very fun. I am so in! We have a bi-level house and I do stairs all the time. I would love to know how many I do in a day!
  • ACowboyKid
    Options
    So in! Love this!
  • CurlyVonda
    CurlyVonda Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Are we counting just going up or going down too?
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options

Just on the way up. :)
  • Rosieroro
    Options
    I'm definitely in. See you at the top! SW261.0 CW255.2
  • glittermouse
    Options
    Great! So there are 7 of us who signed up for sure here. Plus three others who have contacted/messaged me and may be interested as well. =)

November is gonna ROCK!

<3 G.Mouse
  • jennmoore3
    Options

Why only up and not down? Good thing I found out because I would have counted both ways!
  • glittermouse
    Options

Why only up and not down? Good thing I found out because I would have counted both ways!

Well, to be honest, I just went with the rules from a challenge I did a while back. Also, I went with the idea that going down is less work, so only going up should count. That being said, we can do whatever the heck we want. I did some quick searches and found that going down stairs can lower blood sugar levels, and therefore reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. Always a good thing.

So, let's change that rule right now. "Hello, everyone?" *taps mic* "Hello? oh, good. . . . It's now been decided that both walking up stairs and walking down stairs shall count for this challenge, and that they shall count equally. In all reports, posts and check-ins, there will be no need to distinguish, categorize, or otherwise differentiate between the two. That is all."

<3 G.Mouse
  • jennmoore3
    Options

Well, to be honest, I just went with the rules from a challenge I did a while back. Also, I went with the idea that going down is less work, so only going up should count. That being said, we can do whatever the heck we want. I did some quick searches and found that going down stairs can lower blood sugar levels, and therefore reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. Always a good thing.

So, let's change that rule right now. "Hello, everyone?" *taps mic* "Hello? oh, good. . . . It's now been decided that both walking up stairs and walking down stairs shall count for this challenge, and that they shall count equally. In all reports, posts and check-ins, there will be no need to distinguish, categorize, or otherwise differentiate between the two. That is all."

<3 G.Mouse

You are too funny! I didn't mean for you to change it just for me. lol But thanks! I can't wait to start counting! This is going to be a great motivator!
  • ktmccorkell
    ktmccorkell Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    sound good I'm in
  • 1grammie
    1grammie Posts: 163
    Options
    Sounds like a fun challenge. I'm in.
  • glittermouse
    Options
    This is going to be great! So far we've got:

Shajsum
    mochama12487
    jennmoore3
    FeverRN
    ACowboyKid
    Rosieroro
    ktmccorkell
    sheilarosella
    1grammie
    glittermouse

Ten people. I've been in challenges with some of you guys, so I know that some good numbers will be posted. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here!

Anyone else? Come one, come all! :drinker:
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm in so many challenges. Why not? =D
  • glittermouse
    Options
    I'm in so many challenges. Why not? =D

Yakisoba~ I once had a dish by the same name in a Japanese restaurant. It was glorious. I never forgot the name in case I got the chance to go back.

Such an interesing choice for a name. Is there a story?

G.Mouse
  • sheilarosella
    sheilarosella Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i am so in ..what a good idea..this will be a great motivator for me and get me off the treadmill and change up my cardio..thanks :flowerforyou:
  • Aeliyah
    Aeliyah Posts: 247
    Options
    I would love to join! I have a stepper that has been collecting dust... and I cover 3 or 4 floors at the college most days of the week!
  • glittermouse
    Options
    Awesome!

Glad to see more and more faces. I'm ready to do this!

~g.mouse
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    My down fall is I work on the first floor at a hospital, and have no real reason to go to the other floors. hmmm. I have 8 hours to figure out a way to get steps in... maybe I will go up and down on a stool when I can sneak away. lol