Vent - this is a LIFE STYLE not a DIET!

Options
So I just got off the phone with my mom, and she like well I'll let you get back to eating lunch, I said oh I'm done, they she asked what you have? I told her turkey on wheat with tomato and a little mayo w/olive oil and a bowl of honey nut cheerios. She like, is that on your diet? WHEN ARE PEOPLE GOING TO UNDERSTAND THIS IS NOT A DIET????!!!???? :noway: Thanks for letting me vent, I just can't take it anymore, people thinking that this is an easy fix, like it's some magic thing you eat or don't eat. Again sorry for sounding off! Thanks!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    So I just got off the phone with my mom, and she like well I'll let you get back to eating lunch, I said oh I'm done, they she asked what you have? I told her turkey on wheat with tomato and a little mayo w/olive oil and a bowl of honey nut cheerios. She like, is that on your diet? WHEN ARE PEOPLE GOING TO UNDERSTAND THIS IS NOT A DIET????!!!???? :noway: Thanks for letting me vent, I just can't take it anymore, people thinking that this is an easy fix, like it's some magic thing you eat or don't eat. Again sorry for sounding off! Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker:
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Diet is a 4-letter word in my house.....I use the term healthy eating plan. My hubby is VERY unsupportive and when he says "Oh we can't go out to eat cause your mom's on a diet!!!" I always say "Sure we can, it's not a diet but a healthy eating plan...but I am not paying!!!":devil:
  • iambrandice
    iambrandice Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    And your husband should understand that you can still go out to eat and get healthier food.
  • butterball70
    butterball70 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I say VENT all you want!!! Don't you hate when people look at you and go "oh she's counting this or that" just because you don't want any cake or ice cream, when it wasn't even a celebration for anything! We're not doing this for them anyway. Everyone just assumes you one some crazy diet and secretly hoping you'll fail so they won't feel bad:grumble: Well we know that we're changing for the good and we will have the last laugh:laugh: so to speak.
  • sarabear
    Options
    And your husband should understand that you can still go out to eat and get healthier food.
    Exactly, I don't know why people can't see that?:ohwell:
  • tyheamma
    tyheamma Posts: 10
    Options
    I can understand completely. A sandwich for lunch is not unreasonable, and certainly a healthy bowl of cereal isn't either. Healthy weight loss does not happen by a magic formula of what's allowed and what's not, but the good choices to give your body only what it needs.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    In honesty everything we eat is part of our diet. Everything your mom eats is part of her diet.

I use the same mentality at my house. Its about getting healthy. I want my kids to live a much healthier lifestyle than I did in my past. I never thought that at 45 I would take up jogging but I have. I do not have a lot of stamina yet and won't win a race but I am enjoying myself.
    KEEP EATING HEALTHY!
  • sarabear
    Options
    I can understand completely. A sandwich for lunch is not unreasonable, and certainly a healthy bowl of cereal isn't either. Healthy weight loss does not happen by a magic formula of what's allowed and what's not, but the good choices to give your body only what it needs.
    Thanks! I even told her that the sand was made with 45 cal sara lee. I don't know what her prob is, I know she's my mom, but I think she maybe jealous:grumble:
  • tyheamma
    tyheamma Posts: 10
    Options
    Diet is a 4-letter word in my house.....I use the term healthy eating plan. My hubby is VERY unsupportive and when he says "Oh we can't go out to eat cause your mom's on a diet!!!" I always say "Sure we can, it's not a diet but a healthy eating plan...but I am not paying!!!":devil:

I'm sorry to hear that your hubby isn't supportive. It doesn't make any sense to me that he wouldn't want what's best for you, especially when it's saving money.
  • justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    And while we're venting- I got tired of my older sister moaning about how fat she was getting and how many miles she walks every day so I got her to sign up with MFP and a week into it, she quit!!!:explode:
    She called me and said it was too hard and that she couldn't find ANY of the foods she was eating!:angry::grumble:
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have to agree. I am lucky to have such a supportive husband, family and friends. However, my brother was arguing with me on the weekend because we were having a big wiener roast and i only had one hotdog on a bun and a couple of dill pickles. He was saying I am not eating right and i should be eating more, blah, blah, blah. He really made me angry. :explode: But i didn't listen and today I put on a pair of jeans that I have not worn in years :laugh: So to him: m :tongue: and to all you lovely people with me in my journey :flowerforyou:
  • sanifrey
    sanifrey Posts: 2,355 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above!! I personally, don't go into details about things with people, because they automatically assume that you're doing some kinda fad diet or something. Some people will be more supportive, that just happens & yes some people are waiting for us to fail. Wait all you want, baby, cause it aint happenin'!!!

This is why I love MFP so much! Everyoone here knows exactly what I'm doing, what I'm going through & just how hard I'm working! When I need to talk eating or exercise, I come here!

Thanks to everyone for being here & being so supportive!

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • hruppert
    hruppert Posts: 4
    Options
    I completely agree...it's important that we look at it as changing our habits. You know how many "DIETS" I've been on...sure I lost the weight but guess what...it came back. Thats another secret one of my friends taught me you don't want to lose weight because whenever you lose something you tend to find it again...instead you want be healthier and change your body! I love the changes I've made in my habits! Keep going girls...we're on an awesome journey and it's great to have people who understand how you feel!
  • sarabear
    Options
    And while we're venting- I got tired of my older sister moaning about how fat she was getting and how many miles she walks every day so I got her to sign up with MFP and a week into it, she quit!!!:explode:
    She called me and said it was too hard and that she couldn't find ANY of the foods she was eating!:angry::grumble:
    Maybe tell her that she can add them, I know the generic brand of english muffins I use isn't in, but I added it, but then again if she couldn't figure that out, it may not be her time to start, I know my sister is about my size and just got prego, personally I think that that was an excuse to not exercise because I told her that she should continue to walk, but she says she's too sore, tired, it's late, blah blah blah
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I don't know-- I think it's easier just to tell people, "No, thank you, I'm on a diet." Fewer words than saying, "No, thank you I'm changing my lifestyle to include exercise and make wise food choices and avoiding the trigger foods that caused me to gain weight blah, blah, blah ."

You know? Don't sweat the small stuff people-- move on. Bigger fish to fry.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have to agree. I am lucky to have such a supportive husband, family and friends. However, my brother was arguing with me on the weekend because we were having a big wiener roast and i only had one hotdog on a bun and a couple of dill pickles. He was saying I am not eating right and i should be eating more, blah, blah, blah. He really made me angry. :explode: But i didn't listen and today I put on a pair of jeans that I have not worn in years :laugh: So to him: m :tongue: and to all you lovely people with me in my journey :flowerforyou:

I get the same thing from my family (no one supports me but my kids). I am a vegetarian for about a year now. I did it because I was having NASTY migraines 2-3 times a week. My doctor started me on a headache calendar and told me to change some of my food habits. Since I quit eating meat, I haven't had a migraine, just small headaches once in awhile. Maybe it is the hormones or whatever they use in meat but so far so good. When I went to Thanksgiving in Indy, I thought my mom was gonna freak. She was talking about how bad it was for me not to eat meat (while she was drinking her 3rd beer, she's diabetic) and my brother went absolutely crazy telling everyone how weird I was for not eating meat. There were 85 people there and I think everyone knew within 10 minutes. They look at me like I have two heads or something. We are having a birthday thing for me, my daughter and my niece (all May birthdays) here and my mother of course does the "well since you don't eat meat, what do you think you are going to fix. I certainly am not a vegetarian". WHO ASKED YOU TO BE? Geez just be happy I am not as unhealthy as you are. GRRRR......okay done venting now and this wasn't even my thread....:blushing:
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    I think most people show hostility, unsupportiveness, etc etc toward those of us who have the desire, and the motivation to change our lives. Most probably know they should be doing it too, but they dont want to... and THEY dont want to be the fattest person they know. I am lucky to have a very supportive husband though.
  • justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Yup, I told her she could input info not already in and that it would be tricky at first but within a week or two she would be fine. I even volunteered to help her input what she eats for her...:grumble:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    The food database here is pretty comprehensive. What the heck is she eating? Alligator? Peat moss?