STARS 9 WEEK CHALLENGE (CLOSE GROUP) WK 5

Options

Replies

• 6eighteen11
    Options
    QOTD: Saturday, October 29: We all have a "bucket list", what are the top 5 things on yours?

1. receive a PhD (...in what, I don't know, yet)
    2. travel the world...vague, but I want to see a little bit of everything
    3. watch a Packer game at Lambeau Field
    4. not only hit my goal weight, but maintain it for the rest of my life
    5. find a job/career that I'm truly excited and passionate about
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    QOTD Friday 10/28: In a week where you gain, how do you stay focused and not let it draw you back into giving up?

I will really focus on the process that week and I will way myself in a couple of days just to make sure that I am making progress. I set a number for the month. Like this last month I lost 6 pounds. But the pounds were all over the place. 3 one week, Two anoither, a gain and a .5 lost.But just becauseI didn't lose it how I wanted to, I still lost. I know now every week won't be the same. Another thing I do is look for NSV's every day. Wherever I can find them just to know that I am doing well.

It took me a long time to accept weight gains and plateaus as a part of the process. But now I accept what ut is and I just really try to focus on more nonscale victories.

QOTD: Saturday Oct. 29th.
    We all have a "bucket list", what are the top 5 things on yours?

!. Finding a love and getting married to someone that I can grow old with.
    2. Having kids,
    3. Starting a nonprofit to help teens build confidence and self esteem. Maybe through health.
    4. Be at my goal weight and be happy with who I am.
    5. Travel the world.
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    QOTD: Saturday, October 29 )

1. Sprint Triathlon
    2. Buy a house on Cape San Blas
    3. Sail on a “tall ship”
    4. See the Northern Lights (aurora )
    5. Cap Juluca, Anguilla, BWI at least a week

Mini-challenge of the day: Do something nice for someone (stranger or not) WITHOUT them knowing it was you! Then post what it was that you did :)

I love this challenge! I am off to do good:flowerforyou:
  • mariahhatfield
    Options
    QOTD Friday 10/28: In a week where you gain, how do you stay focused and not let it draw you back into giving up?

At that point, it's very difficult for me, but I try to focus on how good eating healthy and exercising makes me feel, and not so much on whether or not I've lost weight.

1. Get married
    2. Have kids
    3. Travel to somewhere exotic
    4. Sky diving
    5. Be financially stable and own a home
  • sboo
    sboo Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Be sexy by my 40th birthday.
    Take family to Hawaii
    Visit as many places around the world that I can.
    Build my dream house
    Take my mother on a nice trip of her choice.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    1. Reach my goal weight!
    2. go to Hawaii
    3. run/walk a 5K on the beach
    4. Learn a foreign language
    5. Have my entire house spotless clean ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

Would not let me edit so had to do it this way:

Mini-challenge of the day: Do something nice for someone (stranger or not) WITHOUT them knowing it was you! Then post what it was that you did :)

Went to get gas and the windis blowing about 100 MPH and it is cold so I pumped a little ladies gas for her so she did not have to be out in the windy cold.
  • jnell82
    jnell82 Posts: 136
    Options

Sorry. Thought I had already answered Friday's :(

It is really hard for me to stay focused when I gain instead of losing. I just try to keep my head up and know work extra hard the next week. We're running a marathon here, not a sprint. Not every week is going to have a great loss and I am learning to accept that.
  • jnell82
    Options

1. Write a book
    2. Get back into single digit jeans
    3. Disneyland
    4. Find Mr. Right (for real this time)
    5.Go to Italy
  • ChatSournois
    Options

Something has snapped in me this time around and I have a long period of time to achieve my goal (next Summer)..so I try to focus on the picture in my head of me feeling great next August. I may not have a loss for two weeks in a row but I know that it HAS to happen eventually if I'm restricting calories and exercising...it just may not happen to my time scale.

1- See my son grow up to be a happy & healthy adult.
    2- Visit Japan.
    3- Learn French fluently.
    4- Re-design my kitchen so that it looks better than Jamie Oliver's!
    5- Learn everything possible about food & cooking & baking.
  • ChatSournois
    Options

I feel like such a fraud doing this challenge. I've been counting calories for the most part but I'm just not losing. Anyway, I know I've said that every time I answer a question but I really do feel like a fraud.

In the past when I have been successful, and I have a gain, I would work extra hard that next week to have a loss.

Aw, please don't think like that...you are NOT a fraud. You are putting a mighty effort in to this and just because it's not going down quickly, does not mean that you shouldn't be proud of yourself. You are doing more exercise and you are thinking about what you're eating. Can you see any other benefits like more energy?..or looser clothes?..or just feeling better?.
    Over the next few weeks of the challenge, you will see that every one of us has weeks where they stay the same or gain pounds..that doesn't make us failures, it makes us human. We have to deal with hormonal changes, water retention and looking after our families..it's bound to take it's toll on our weight some weeks.
    I'm glad you're part of this challenge and I think you're going to do great..so please don't think this way anymore..x
  • jnell82
    Options
    QOTD Sunday October 30- What has been your best NSV since you began your journey?
    Mini challenge- walk/run for at least 20 min :)

My greatest NSV just happened on Monday. 3 weeks ago on Friday I bought 2 pairs of jenas that are a size smaller than the ones I have been wearng. The followong Monday I went out of town for training for work and talked about how I was so excited that the pants were smaller yada yada. Then on Monday, we had an all staff meeting to discuss how we were incorporating our training and qhat we planned to do in the future based on the training. My coworker looked at me and said ," Hey, if you just bought pants that fit you, why aren't you wearing them? Those are falling off of you!." The best part about that was.... those were my new pants! Definitely made my week :)
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    QOTD Sunday October 30- What has been your best NSV since you began your journey?

Finishing my first 5K. At all, and finishing it in 39 minutes, 59.8 seconds - more than 5 minutes less than the goal I set for myself!
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options

I feel like such a fraud doing this challenge. I've been counting calories for the most part but I'm just not losing. Anyway, I know I've said that every time I answer a question but I really do feel like a fraud.

In the past when I have been successful, and I have a gain, I would work extra hard that next week to have a loss.

Aw, please don't think like that...you are NOT a fraud. You are putting a mighty effort in to this and just because it's not going down quickly, does not mean that you shouldn't be proud of yourself. You are doing more exercise and you are thinking about what you're eating. Can you see any other benefits like more energy?..or looser clothes?..or just feeling better?.
    Over the next few weeks of the challenge, you will see that every one of us has weeks where they stay the same or gain pounds..that doesn't make us failures, it makes us human. We have to deal with hormonal changes, water retention and looking after our families..it's bound to take it's toll on our weight some weeks.
    I'm glad you're part of this challenge and I think you're going to do great..so please don't think this way anymore..x

I agree with all of this.

If you feel you are doing everything you should and you are still not losing, re-evaluate the following:

- Your water intake. I know it sounds like a lot, but try to aim for about half your body weight in ounces per day (if you weigh 180 lbs., you should aim for about 90 ounces), but drink no less than 64 ounces. This will help you to combat any sodium you are eating and will help you to not retain water.
    - Are you weighing and/or measuring your food? Often, in the beginning, we really need a scale or measuring cups/spoons to show us what the proper serving size is. Don't eyeball it until you are successfully losing weight regularly. You can get a fairly cheap scale at Walmart which will help as well. (I don't have a scale, but if I was having regular difficulty with losing weight, I would.)
    - Make sure you are not over estimating your burn. If you are using MFP's estimates for the number of calories you are burning for a specific exercise, do not eat all of your exercise calories - eat a portion. Your best bet is a heart rate monitor to ensure a fairly accurate burn (90% is the claim for most of them).
    - Speaking of exercise calories - are you eating them? If you eat them all and are not losing, scale back and don't eat so many. If you do not eat them and are not losing, eat some of them at least.
    - Make sure you are eating enough. You should be eating a net of between 1,000 and 1,200 calories per day at least, with a base of 1,200 calories.
    - Are you having difficulty staying in your caloric goals? Is going over wreaking havoc on your mental state? If so, consider lowering you weight loss goal to one pound per week. I do this and mentally aim to eat about 400 to 500 calories less than my goal per day, but if I am having a "hungry" day, I allow myself to eat them all. Eating them all just means that I will lose a little slower, but I rarely have a week where I eat them all every day.

I hope at least some of this helps! The hardest part of losing weight is our mental state. Often, if you get in a mindset of "I can't do this", it makes it difficult to be successful. Try to think positively. If it helps, just make one change per week. You CAN do this! If you have any questions, please let me know!
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options

in No Specific order.

1. Go to Europe
    2. Fully produce my own CD
    3. Go Hot Air Ballooning
    4. Run a 5k
    5. Finish my degree

Mine has been being able to run, even if for 5 minutes at a time. I use to be a sprinter way back in the day and then when I gained wieght I could no longer run. Now I can and I am getting more minutes under my belt all the time! Oh an wearing a size 6 which I wore in junior high school, not high school!
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Mini challenge- walk/run for at least 20 min :)
    Mine is a couple of months ago when I went to get my drivers license renewed and they took my picture and the computer compared to previous picture (guess this is something to do for fraud purposes) and the computers said "this is not a match". So I had to show other forms of ID and explain I had lost weight and that it was me.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

The best NSV that I have had was being able to shop at little size stores and being able to look good.
  • RhondaLeeRoss
    Options
    Saturday mini-challenge..
    I went through the Tim Horton's drive though and paid for the car behind me and then I just drove off. It felt great. Hope it made them smile! :flowerforyou:
  • tessacope2
    Options
    QOTD Saturday, October 30: Top 5 Bucket List

1. Own my own business
    2. Get a post graduate degree
    3. Run a half marathon
    4. Watch LSU live in the BCS Championship (might happen this year!)
    5. Visit Greece and Turkey
  • tessacope2
    Options
    Saturday mini challenge: It has been pouring raining all weekend. The credit card machine was down at the gas station because of the Tstorm and they were only taking cash. The lady behind me in line didn't have any cash so I paid for her items:)
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options

1. Go to Greece
    2. Be in a size 10
    3. Go to Ireland
    4. Go to Italy
    5. Go to France
    ....... and there are a million other places that I want to see.