Do Any Of You Have a Cheat Day?

Options
13»

Replies

• suzannekatherine
    suzannekatherine Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    When I was in the process of dieting to lose (currently trying to maintain), I would generally allow myself to have cheat days. Typically no more than once a week, sometimes less often. I felt like it was kind of dangerous to go for long periods of time eating 1200-1300 calories because I was eventually in danger of just snapping and losing control entirely. I found that letting myself have a day off would let me get it out of my system and maybe even realize that it wasn't all that satisfying. But also I really think the body needs a few binge days to remember that it isn't starving and I feel like it kick starts the metabolism. If you are able to think of the end of that one day as the stopping place and restart the diet eating the next day I think it works very well. In addition, certain events like a party, family gathering, or eating out, I feel like are more or less impossible to accurately count. So I would just give myself a pass on those days.
    I think it's good for the psyche. Or at least for food addicts like myself who crave the freedom to indulge more than any one food.

My strategy for maintaining is probably a little screwed up but just sort of an extension of the original diet plan. I allow myself a lot more free days but I weigh almost every day. And if I see myself gaining at all or if I've been really indulgent during the week, I try to go back to the 1200 limit for as many days as is feasible. I also try to add exercise so I can eat more and not go over the deficit. Seems to work. There's probably a better way but I don't seem to be quite to that point yet where I can just eat moderately and healthfully all the time.
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    I have a scheduled cheat day too. On the 15th (my birthday) each month, I eat one candy bar. (Like a normal sized Hershey bar) I usually give the last two bites to my son, though.

This would all be so much harder if I didn't get that one treat a month. This girl loves her chocolate. It's the main reason I'm as heavy as I am.
    One candy bar is hardly a cheat day. You can easily fit a candy bar into your daily caloric intake. However, good job on healthy habits.
  • Almiel
    Almiel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have a tip for all you chocoholics: I will buy a bar of dark chocolate (my fave) and break off one square of it and let it melt in my mouth. In the time it takes to eat half a bar (~200 calories) I've only had 40 calories and I enjoyed it just as much. Conscious eating is important (enjoying it rather than watching tv or reading while eating).

As for cheat/treat days, I usually have one every weekend because we like to eat out or order pizza. I figure if I'm losing instead of gaining like I was before, I'm still better off... I see MFP as a tool that works for me, not me slaving to it. MFP has me down to 1250 cal/day and it's hard!
  • rlw77
    rlw77 Posts: 61
    Options
    I do once a week, but I try to stay within my maintenance calories.
  • v_addison
    v_addison Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Considering this is supposed to be a lifestyle change, I incorporate cheat days into my routine. If I don't than I know this will not be a way of life for me. I know in the long run there will be days I can't stick to my caloric goals and I want to do this for the rest of my life.
  • babersbh
    Options
    My weekends are mine. Seems to be stopping me from plateauing. As crazy as it sounds I think it helps to reduce the cravings for certain foods so that I don't binge eat when I do get to have them. Cheating but in moderation you may say?