breakfast cereal

Options
what cereals are the best? i seem to always go over my sugar my lunchtime and its because of the cereal! i thought the ones i buy were good but i guess not, i usually eat cheerios, honey bunches of oats, kix, or special k
i eat cereal every morning for the past 30 yrs!

Replies

• cajunlady56
    cajunlady56 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Kashi - 7 grain flakes is good and low sugar. It taste like a frosty flakes minus the frosty LOL
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I eat original shredded wheat (the large biscuits) with a little sugar substitute.

When choosing a cereal, I try to follow the old rule: Sugar can't be one of the first three ingredients.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Bite size Frosted Mini Wheats are the best.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I have banana nut crunch cereal with half of a banana. Skim milk ..

its awesome and keeps me going to snack time
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    http://just-making-noise.blogspot.com/2009/10/dirty-secrets-of-processed-cereal-make.html

I make my own, this is the recipe I use as well as the reason I make my own (though I was planning to make my own before that)

While i'm baking it I add honey to sweeten it up
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Steel Cut Oats. Forget the processed crap in a box!
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My home made muesli! If you search in the forums, you'll find the recipe that I posted there...
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I eat Rice Chex...relatively low in sugar and gluten free.
  • MGleason2010
    MGleason2010 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I eat original shredded wheat (the large biscuits) with a little sugar substitute.

When choosing a cereal, I try to follow the old rule: Sugar can't be one of the first three ingredients.

well said! You need something with sugar down later in the list. all of the cereals you listed are high in sugar (Mini Wheats too!). Kashi is usually good, but you still have to be carefull of the sugar in those as well. Plain cereals are better....like corn flakes. You can add fruit to give them more flavor.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    shredded wheat
  • TaraMKL
    TaraMKL Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Uncle Sam original. Perfect with fruit and plain Greek yogurt.

My other fave is natures path pumpkin flax granola.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I eat Rice Chex...relatively low in sugar and gluten free.

I live for Rice Chex with almond milk...maybe a banana...*sigh*

I'd also strongly suggest rolled oats/steel cut oats.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Special K (original) shouldn't be too bad, same with (regular) Cheerios. Raisin Bran is super high in sugar (shocked me).

Anyway, I look for cereal with protien & fiber too. Kashi cereals are excellent.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I don't really pay attention to sugar, but my favorite cereals are Fiber One and Special K Protein Plus. Good stuff!! :love:
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Steel Cut Oats. Forget the processed crap in a box!

I second the steel cut oats. Though on days they didn't get made...Kashi.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean.. Great macros and low cal
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    There are good cereals out there. Many named in this thread (and previous threads before this).

Then there are GREAT cereals: http://www.mothersnatural.com/ready-to-eat_cereals/rte_peanut_butter_bumpers.aspx
  • alexa137
    alexa137 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    ive tried Kashi couldnt eat it terrible taste, never heard of most of the other ones! and never seen them i shop at martins food market in Maryland, prob dont have it there!
    i will stick to cheerios and special k, i also have quaker oatmeal oncein a while
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean High Protein & Fiber. I looooove it!! 1 cup = 140 calories and it fills me up.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    What about switching to oatmeal?