Halloween: Healthy Trick-or-Treat Options

Options
13»

Replies

• mamijujuphat
    mamijujuphat Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I agree with giving away lil' trinkets & 100 calories packs might work...or funsize treats...as a mother I look out to what my kid has too...but she gets to indulge a lil' ...that's what every kid looks forward to
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Totally ignoring the "Waaa waaaa you're ruining Halloween and are the worst person ever" posts. Hyperbole.

There are some pretty good ideas here that I hadn't thought about.

- Pre-packaged grapes. Who doesn't like grapes?!
    - Glow bracelets.
    - 100 calorie packs
    - Juice boxes

Those are all things that my BF and I would eat if anything is left over. Not interested in fast food coupons, though that isn't a terrible idea. I'd like to give whole apples, but people don't let their kids eat non-factory packaged treats on Halloween anymore.
  • ladycomix
    Options
    Totally ignoring the "Waaa waaaa you're ruining Halloween and are the worst person ever" posts. Hyperbole.

There are some pretty good ideas here that I hadn't thought about.

- Pre-packaged grapes. Who doesn't like grapes?!
    - Glow bracelets.
    - 100 calorie packs
    - Juice boxes

Those are all things that my BF and I would eat if anything is left over. Not interested in fast food coupons, though that isn't a terrible idea. I'd like to give whole apples, but people don't let their kids eat non-factory packaged treats on Halloween anymore.

Who doesnt like grapes? My son. Well...he likes them as little tiny missles to shoot at toys and things. The green army men beg you to reconsider this one.

You wont ruin Halloween, but you'd best be prepared for the sad kid's faces when they see what you give em. I've heard a lil girl tell the people who's porch we were standing on "THAT's not for Halloween!" She was cute and about two...but the lady answering the door was not happy.

The glowsticks and bracelets are an awesome idea. My son would want to knock on your door and ask for another :D
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    For the last couple of years, I've been buying little Teddy Grahams individual packs and giving those out with a single small piece of candy to the little ones. It's a bit more expensive, but as a parent of trick-or-treaters, I really appreciate treats that I don't have to take away as soon as they get home.
  • jncornet
    Options
    Whatever you give has to be packaged for safety concerns. (so Apples and the like won't work). Personally I'm giving out candy and then bringing the rest to the office so it's not in the house to tempt me. It's not your responsibility to teach kids to eat healthy on Halloween of all times... all the kids want is to bag candy. And honestly it's one day of the year, let them have it.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

I have to agree with the OP here.... you never know..... your snack might get the kids to start eating healthier, especially if you find something that's not pure sugar that appeals to them!

*cough* delusional *cough*
  • kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have to side with the folks that say it's Halloween, it's supposed to be a candy-filled crazy night. I buy candy that I don't like (anything with coconut, Skittles, Sweetarts) so that I'm not even remotely tempted to eat it post-Halloween. Usually the last trick or treaters are the oldest kids (teenagers, sometimes without costumes, just out for the candy), so I've been known to simply dump all the remainders in their bags as well.

If you're adament about no candy, I think the temporary tattoos or glow bracelets would be awesome. Something without sugar that the kids would still be excited about.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Little boxes of raisins, Party favor toys, teddy grahams, baked lays. Some grocery stores sell 1oz Jello squirts. Those are pretty cool. String cheese is good.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Whatever you give has to be packaged for safety concerns. (so Apples and the like won't work). Personally I'm giving out candy and then bringing the rest to the office so it's not in the house to tempt me. It's not your responsibility to teach kids to eat healthy on Halloween of all times... all the kids want is to bag candy. And honestly it's one day of the year, let them have it.

There are indiviually packaged apple slices. ;)
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    We make little goodie bags. They usually have a mini bag of popcorn, tattoos, stretchy gooey sticky toys (shaped like a hand or something), sometimes bubbles, other little toys, and glow bracelets.

They kids love them and the parents are always thankful for them. They get enough candy at other houses and my husband is a dietitian, so candy from us is not a good thing. lol...
  • skinniewannabe
    skinniewannabe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I shop at Costco and they sell little tubs of Play-Doh to give out to trick-or-treaters. This is what I'm getting this year to give out, my kids love Play-Doh, so if there is any left over it will be put to good use!
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I agree with two previous posters, toys or glow bracelets. Oriental Trading online has a ton of little toys that are reasonable and are designed for Halloween. If you have a craft store nearby, look for the glow bracelets. Kids LOVE them. Our local craft store (Michaels) sells them in tubes of 15 for a dollar. Cheap, fun, and healthy! We are giving those out this year. I'm not against giving out candy, but candy can get expensive depending on the amount of tricker treaters that you have. Heck, if I could, I'd give out money. That was always my favorite as a kid :D
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Well, Halloween is here!

I ended up making treat bags that consisted of:
    - Dum dum suckers (allergen free)
    - Halloween pretzels
    - Spider rings
    - Pixie sticks
    - Little Hug juices

The kids LOVED them! Every kid who grabbed a bag was like "AMG JUICE!!" I heard one kid say "I'm so thirsty, this is awesome."

It cost me around $17 to make 20 bags, which is less than $0.50 per kid. Pixie sticks and dum dum suckers are relatively low-cal. They're also super cheap! It was $15 for ONE BAG of chocolate candy. That would have given the kids a single piece of candy. Instead, I went healthier, cheaper, and the kids loved it.

So poopoo on all you naysayers :P
  • alwhit10
    Options
    Little bags of pretzels or goldfish, any snack that is a different option
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I was expecting the "kids" this year to carry a PIN machine with them...

BUT! My faith was restored tonight! I saw LOADS of families out, with their 4-10 year old kids fully dressed up, y'know, doing it RIGHT! And ZERO chavs! Maybe our neighbourhood is changing for the better! I even doled out most of my own treats, the fun size choccy bars to them all!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Little bags of pretzels or goldfish, any snack that is a different option

You eat goldfish?! :O