Can stand the people on MFP!

Options

Replies

• k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Readers must separate a work from its creator in order to liberate the text from interpretation.

THIS^^^ Communication is 50% intent on the part of the speaker (writer) and 50% perception on the part of the listener (reader). Misinterpretation is much higher on the Internet where there are no other factors, such as body language and facial expressions.

Sometimes we attribute rudeness where there was none intended, sometimes people mean to be rude, and sometimes the screamers about "rudeness" are just attention *kitten* looking to start ****.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    If someone asks my opinion, I will give it. I do try to say it nicely, but I'm sorry, when someone asks if HCG is worth considering, I'm going to be honest (I think it's dangerous, personally). I just hate the thought of someone wasting their money and risking their health just to lose the weight a little faster when they could do it in a healthy manner much more cheaply and safely. I don't feel the need to be nasty, and some people do need to think about HOW they say things, but when I come to the forum, I want HONEST answers. If people don't want honesty, they should just ask the same people who have been enabling them to remain overweight (whoever those people might be).
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    All these people who say things along the lines of "If you can't say anything nice, don't post"...this is a forum. We all have equal rights to post. If you consider it rude, chances are it's a minority of you who feel that way, else that poster would be banned. The mods see the same things we do, and they chastise, suspend, or ban where appropriate. If they don't get any of these things, then in the mods eyes, and therefore the forum code of conduct, it wasn't rude. Sorry if you felt that it was. Maybe you are just too sensitive.

But don't tell people not to post.
  • kmbrooks15
    Options
    Oooooo, look how many angry, opinionated people crawled out of the woodwork to comment on this one!

Mollycoddling people is no good for them; but on a site that is SUPPOSED to be all about positive support and encouragement for people trying to make a difference to their lives, there is a major difference between being straightforward and being unnecessarily harsh!

everyone needs to chill the heck out and back off a bit...

^^^^THIS!!!!! +1

When I first joined I asked a question about a particular diet because I was curious and knew there were people on the boards that followed this diet and thought someone here would be able to answer my question. One person not following that diet advised me to "get up off my *kitten* and quit looking for an easy way out." This completely put me off the boards for a while and for several days I didn't look at the boards at all because of the impression I was given of people on this website. Then I thought that's stupid. It's one person not the everyone on the site. I started reading the forums and though I don't post as much as others, I've found there are way more nice, positive and supportive people on this site than those who are rude, negative and unsupportive. (For the record, I never did get an answer to that qusetion!)

Yeah, that was uncalled-for. I try to answer questions honestly, but I always stop and think "What would I think of this comment if I received it?" It can be hard, though...written communication lacks vocal inflection, facial expressions, etc., making it hard to read the intent behind it like you can with spoken communication.

I'm sorry, too, that you never got an answer to your question!
  • kayleeblue
    Options
    There's this really cool thing on MFP just like FB...it's called the "DELETE". And opinions are like @$$holes...everyone has one.... Have a great day...Time to put the big girl panties on...Wow..I really am living up to my halloween costume today...
  • PRprincess
    PRprincess Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It's not being rude.. It's called telling the truth in my opinion.

By the way.. thats all they are is opinions. No one says that the poster has to listen to any of them.. and if they didn't want advice(both good and bad) then they never should have posted in the first place.

I completely agree.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I agree. I stop reading when people get snarky. It feels like some folks just get their jollys being condescending to others. And, I feel really bad for the posters. Probably why I've asked any questions on these forums. Although I obviously reply. :laugh:
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I can stand the Internet!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options

This has just been bothering me for a long time!
    Since June apparently. That's a long time to stew. Feel better now? :flowerforyou:
  • rentrikin
    rentrikin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I love how its ok to be an A-hole in the name of being brutally honest! Just saying!! Theres a way to tell the truth, a way to not leave things sugar-coated... Its called having tact. Something a LOT of people lack on this site. If you cant be nice and supportive, or give information thats CORRECT in an informative way, rather than bashing people, then don't speak. Snide, nasty people fill the world.. We should be allowed to be safe from that here. MY FITNESS PAL, Not MY FITNESS A-HOLES! Get it? Got it? Good!

Agreed,totally
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I can't stand them; but I can sit with them at lunch.
  • cajunlady56
    cajunlady56 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Why do I feel the need to read these thread? I really need to get a life as I found this very entertaining!
  • NashvilleShelley
    Options
    I can stand the Internet!

I get this but I don't think many did!! : )
  • RunLiftEat
    RunLiftEat Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    All complaints about the internet should be sent to Al Gore since he created it.
  • lacf86
    lacf86 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

So do you advocate positive support for somebody that is doing something that is blatantly unhealthy in order to lose weight? :flowerforyou:

no, not at all, but you can be straightforward without being harsh.

*edit* i've thought a bit more about this and yes, actually, i do advocate positive support for somebody that is doing something that is blatantly unhealthy in order to lose weight. Supporting somebody doesn't neccessarily mean agreeing with them, or approving of what they are doing; but it DOES include trying to help them in a positive way, and not belittling them. The more harshly you treat people, the more likely they are to give up on finding help, and to continue on acting in harmful ways.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

So do you advocate positive support for somebody that is doing something that is blatantly unhealthy in order to lose weight? :flowerforyou:

*edit* i've thought a bit more about this and yes, actually, i do advocate positive support for somebody that is doing something that is blatantly unhealthy in order to lose weight. Supporting somebody doesn't neccessarily mean agreeing with them, or approving of what they are doing; but it DOES include trying to help them in a positive way, and not belittling them. The more harshly you treat people, the more likely they are to give up on finding help, and to continue on acting in harmful ways.

I won't belittle somebody but I most certainly will not be all sunshine and rainbows if somebody is doing something that is unhealthy.

To me; being positive is "oh yes, you're doing great, ignore the negative people".

If something is unhealthy I'm going to say "that's unhealthy". Being anything other than honest in those cases is called enabling, not supportive.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Some people are rude on here. It's a difference between being straightforward and being rude. I'm a person that tells it like it is, but I will not be rude to anyone.

I come here to motivate and encourage people. Not attack them.
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    It's just you Obvious.
  • kmbrooks15
    Options

I won't belittle somebody but I most certainly will not be all sunshine and rainbows if somebody is doing something that is unhealthy.

To me; being positive is "oh yes, you're doing great, ignore the negative people".

If something is unhealthy I'm going to say "that's unhealthy". Being anything other than honest in those cases is called enabling, not supportive.

Exactly! If I think someone is doing something unhealthy, I'll tell them, but it's in HOW you say it. I remember not long ago a young lady posted about only eating 500-600 calories a day and feeling the need to run them all off the minute she ate them. I couldn't let that one go because it sounds like an eating disorder. I tried to reply to her, but her thread had been locked and was removed soon after. Before they removed it, I clicked to see her profile and sent her a private message encouraging her to seek help from her doctor because I was concerned that she either had or was developing an eating disorder. I was as nice as I could be, and she responded that she would talk to her mom and go to the doctor. If I had sent her an email blasting her and being nasty, she would have just shut down, but I couldn't ignore it either. Ignoring it would enable her to continue doing what she was doing, which was clearly dangerous.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    It's a difference between being straightforward and being rude.
    Or the difference between 5 pounds of feathers and 5 pounds of steel.