Are baked apples with cinnamon good or bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• NikkiLewLew
    Options
    I have been on a baked/saute apple kick for weeks! I use coconut oil. It is the perfect sub! = )
  • RedPaperClip
    Options
    "1 medium size macintosh apple
    1tsp cinnamon
    1tsp splenda

I peeled and cut my apple in slices then cut the slice in half, rinsed the apples with water in micro safe dish, added cinnamon and splenda, stirred to coat apples well. I microwaved covered for 1 minute. It was delicious: the only calories were from the apple 80cals."

I'm trying this tomorrow!
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I just found a great app for my blackberry called Healthy Recipes, it's wicked!! It hs over 200,000 recipes and they all have the nutrional info with them. Funny, I was browsing the app today and found this which I think applies here. Warm Apples with Granola Topping

Thanks for the BB app! And all the other great suggestions too.
  • mona24523
    mona24523 Posts: 100
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to try the apple with granola.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    My original version of baked apples has cinnamon, butter, walnuts, and a little sprinkle of brown sugar or a dollop of honey if I'm out of brown sugar. Pure decadence!
  • memawwheeler
    memawwheeler Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For baked apples, I like to core and chop a macintash and red delicious apple together and put into a microwave safe dish with some Torani sugar free Brown sugar cinnamon syrup (you can get lots of flavors at Amazon.com)and sprinkle cinnamon on top. I get the sweetness of the syrup without added calories. If I am making fried apples like at Cracker Barrel, I do the same thing only use a skillet and add a little butter. Even my husband will eat these especially with pork chops.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I love apples with cinnamon. Going to try the microwave one today. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
  • luv2run
    luv2run Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have an awesome recipe from Clean eating Magazine it is really good and my kids beg me to make it!! It does have butter in it but a very small amount.

Baked Apples with Caramel drizzle
    6 apples (granny smith, Cortland, Northern spy or Mutsu) peeled, halved and cored
    pinch of ground cinnamon
    1/3 cup sucanat
    1 tsp organic butter or olive oil buttery spread (CE recommends Earth Balance but I used smart balance)

Pre heat oven to 375. In a baking dish place apples cut side up and sprinkle with cinnamon. Fill dish one- quarter full with water and cover loosely with foil. Bake until softened about 20 minutes (be careful not to overbake or you will have applesauce).

Meanwhile, prepare caramel drizzle; in a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup water and Sucanat. Bring to a boil on medium-high; reduce heat to low and simmer until water is reduced and syrupy, 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter. Top each apple with caramel drizzle, dividing evenly; serve immediately.

110 Calories, 1g fat, 27 carbs, 2g fiber, 23g sugar
    Ok after all that typing I hope someone makes this, lol!! Enjoy!!
  • a_fill
    a_fill Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Here's what I did recently:

1 medium size macintosh apple
    1tsp cinnamon
    1tsp splenda

I peeled and cut my apple in slices then cut the slice in half, rinsed the apples with water in micro safe dish, added cinnamon and splenda, stirred to coat apples well. I microwaved covered for 1 minute. It was delicious: the only calories were from the apple 80cals.

sounds delicious!