ladies: how can we compliment without it being creepy?

Options
jacksonpt
jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
I often wonder this... both on sites like this one (where there are a lot of attractive people showing off attractive bodies) and just in every day life. As a guy, how can I give a woman a compliment without it being creepy or a come-on or whatever else.

Say I see a profile pic of someone showing off their abs... can I send them a simple message saying "Hey, great abs!" or "wow, nice abs... your hard work is really paying off!"

If I'm inline behind someone at Target and I notice their perfume, can I say, "I like your perfume"?

Is there even such a thing as an innocent compliment any more?

Replies

• iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately my brother, you cannot nowadays.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    none of those sound creepy. now, "i want to lick your abs" or "your perfume makes me hungry" etc...crossing the line.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Of course

It's a lot about the delivery.

But if I were a man I wouldn't send a woman a message on here unless they were friends or had some sort of rapport.

The woman at the store thing is tricker. I guess you can probably tell when a woman is and is not to be approached.
  • jennajava
    Options
    Unfortunately my brother, you cannot nowadays.

my gosh. your picture. i just had a heart attack!
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I would say it, if they take it the wrong way, then that is there big headed problem. Pay me one if you like ;-)
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jennajava
    Options
    Of course

It's a lot about the delivery.

But if I were a man I wouldn't send a woman a message on here unless they were friends or had some sort of rapport.

The woman at the store thing is tricker. I guess you can probably tell when a woman is and is not to be approached.

this is true
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Wondered the same thing. Especially as I get older. However, have decided to just give the compliment and tell them to take it for what it is intended a compliment.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    none of those sound creepy. now, "i want to lick your abs" or "your perfume makes me hungry" etc...crossing the line.

Unless it smells like chocolate...and then it would be understandable.
  • cathleen4h
    cathleen4h Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think all of those compliments are fine! I as a woman would be flattered. Now if you go on and on about it - thats a little creepy!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options

This.

The simple "I ran across your profile and I'm really impressed by you abs. Nice work!" is a perfectly acceptable compliment :)
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Creepiness is mostly created by the receiver. Say what you want, but be prepared to duck!
  • Iheartsushi
    Iheartsushi Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I think ladies can still take compliments. I don't see anything creepy with the ones you listed.

However, be mindful that there will ALWAYS be women who take it the wrong way because they think they are God's gift to this earth and that only certain people are allowed the privilege to speak with them lol...
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    I think it can depend on who you are complimenting, someone can take the two examples you gave above as offensive while others would not. I am not easily offended but there are tons of people who are.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I think on a fitness website like this its much more appropriate than at target. If its someone you know or are aquainted with I wouldn't think it would be creepy. Random person at target, definitely higher on the creepy scale. :wink: As long as it's focused on the hard work paying off / camradiere I think it's much more appropriate than something like "woah, sexy!" (much more inappropriate imo, although I know a lot of people wouldn't care.) Also, I should say there are guy friends I have (not on this site) who could say that to me and have it be a genuine compliment / not inappropriate, but from someone random I don't know it would be much more so.
  • catgirl711
    Options
    Yes there are definitely such things as innocent compliments. At least for me there is.
    Now a not so innocent sounding compliment I got after posting some halfway there pictures was "You're making me excited, that's a good thing"

Very creepy, very weird especially when I saw the age of the guy who was saying it.

But especially on here a "Looking good, you must be working very hard" or "Great abs" at least for me are innocent compliments.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    True....we love nice polite "compliments"...which are sort of like a nice "comment"...
    Do it....you'll make someone's day
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Im offended you would even ask
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I think it can depend on who you are complimenting, someone can take the two examples you gave above as offensive while others would not. I am not easily offended but there are tons of people who are.

This. I think it really depends on the person you are complimenting. I don't get easily offended.
  • vintx
    vintx Posts: 34
    Options
    if there is any doubt, just don't compliment. if you know that they are married or something, i don't think it's appropriate.

and for me, it's not about creepiness....i like a great compliment as much as the next girl. it's more about appropriateness. JMO. ;)