ladies: how can we compliment without it being creepy?

Options

Replies

• Flossykirk
    Flossykirk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I personally would be encouraged by a compliment like the ones you described ... some days those are just the thing to help keep me motivated! I would say do it ... you might help get someone out of a rut that day and to see their hard work is well worth it!
    Great question!
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely a way to compliment without being creepy. The two examples you gave are both fabulous and very probably wouldn't be taken as creepy. Now, if you were to send an essay going on about the way that person's abs glistened or how very seductive that perfume was ... that's creepy.

A simple compliment, though? Welcomed and appreciated.:smile:

Having said that, you look absolutely incredible!
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I think its all in the delivery. If you sound sleezy when you say it, it is going to come off sleezy, but if it sounds innocent, then say it. I think it is easier to say things on a site like this because people are looking for motivation. If they have posted their picture, they are proud of what they have done. Tell them that their hard work is paying off. That isn't inappropriate.

I love to hear how I am doing from everyone..... but don't really appreciate the comments that are telling me to read between the lines to get what they are really saying.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Creepiness is mostly created by the receiver. Say what you want, but be prepared to duck!
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Nope...............................

Well, I guess it depends on WHO and WHAT body part your complimenting..... lol

Every person may interpret statements a bit differently- just my general opinion.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Depends on how self absorbed the person is. Give the compliment you want to give, if they take it for more than it's meant as then that's their arrogant problem.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I think there is! Don't despair -- there are those of us who can take a sincere (and well said) compliment. I think the "your hard work is paying off" compliment is very well put.

I think it's harder to get your true meaning across by just typed words (e-mail, message board) because we say a lot w/ body language and voice that gives clues as to whether the sentiment is sincere, or just plain creepy.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    As a guy I think it's OK compliment general appearance.

" That dress looks nice on you"
    "That color looks good on you"

Or something similar. Don't get specific about a specific area or use there word "hot" or "sexy" or anything as aggressive as that.

It seems best to keep it simple and a little more general.
  • peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I had a gentleman email me out of the blue one day and paid me a compliment. I think it was something along the lines of being very attractive, keep up the good work. I was totally flattered and told him so!

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying you look great, especially if they have a before/current pic on display. But it's really all about how you say it. No cheesy pick up lines, no "dayummm girl!". Just a nice, simple compliment.

Now if a stranger behind me in line at the grocery store started to sniff me and tell me I "smell purdy", I'm gonna run lol
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I often wonder this... both on sites like this one (where there are a lot of attractive people showing off attractive bodies) and just in every day life. As a guy, how can I give a woman a compliment without it being creepy or a come-on or whatever else.

Say I see a profile pic of someone showing off their abs... can I send them a simple message saying "Hey, great abs!" or "wow, nice abs... your hard work is really paying off!"

If I'm inline behind someone at Target and I notice their perfume, can I say, "I like your perfume"?

Is there even such a thing as an innocent compliment any more?

I think not personalizing it and not taking it too far is how you avoid being creepy. A simple straight to the point message like "Nice job on those abs" would be acceptable, to me anyways.

Also out in the real world, I think it's perfectly fine to say something like "I like your perfume, it's a pleasant fragrance". Don't say something like "You smell really good", that makes some of us feel like you've been sniffing us while our backs are turned. I compliment people, male and female often. The other day at Osaka, I thought the girl next to us had lovely hair so I told her so. She didn't seem to be put off by it. It does depend on the person though.
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I don't think that either would be creepy. Especially on here, if we are showing pics of our hard work, it is nice to have someone say so. And if someone takes an innocent compliment as anything more, maybe they shouldn't post those pics?
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I think ladies can still take compliments. I don't see anything creepy with the ones you listed.

However, be mindful that there will ALWAYS be women who take it the wrong way because they think they are God's gift to this earth and that only certain people are allowed the privilege to speak with them lol...

I got a friend request from some random guy, as the message he put something like "I like your abs and body ;)", which creeped me out- I DEFINITELY don't think that only certain privileged people can speak to me! Comments like that just make me uncomfortable =/
  • healthy4self
    Options
    Go ahead, compliment away! It's when the girl is clearly uninterested and yet the guy continues to pursue that it becomes creepy.
  • jennor8or
    jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    none of those sound creepy. now, "i want to lick your abs" or "your perfume makes me hungry" etc...crossing the line.

LOL too funny...
    usually for me its the men that whistle or make noises that i think r creepy... i dont know what i'd do if i got a genuine compliment lol - i guess its all about how you say it "wow you are really pretty" is entirely diff than *creepy guy voice* "mmm girl you are so damn sexy"
  • JThomas61
    Options
    I think ladies can still take compliments. I don't see anything creepy with the ones you listed.

However, be mindful that there will ALWAYS be women who take it the wrong way because they think they are God's gift to this earth and that only certain people are allowed the privilege to speak with them lol...

THIS ^
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Meh.. I usually intend it to be creepy anyway.

:wink: <-- creeper smiley
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I don't like compliments...
  • CNParker
    CNParker Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the person. I would be thrilled if someone complimented me. The change of pace with the amount of rudeness on a daily basis, some positive feedback once in a while would be lovely. If some one gives you crap, there is something wrong with them.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

Say I see a profile pic of someone showing off their abs... can I send them a simple message saying "Hey, great abs!" or "wow, nice abs... your hard work is really paying off!"

Is there even such a thing as an innocent compliment any more?

See, I personally think these are innocent enough compliments. Nice, even. When you move into the creeper territory, you pretty know you did and its generally on purpose. I like to think that most people are just being nice and paying a compliment...
  • Kimmy546
    Kimmy546 Posts: 102
    Options
    A compliment is a compliment and I think all of us women love them and will take them wherever we can get them. By all means tell someone they look good or smell good, if they are at all offended by this, it's their loss.