Working out=huge deficit!

Options
2»

Replies

• mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I echo other people's suggestions but understand budget difficulties and difficulty changing eating patterns in all respects. What about ensure or boost? When I was much younger I needed to gain weight and used it as a supplement on top of meals.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Avocados! And yeah, there isn't anything unhealthy about egg yolks as long as you aren't eating like a dozen a day. Only real reason to eat whites only is to avoid calories, which you don't need to do.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I really don't like the egg yolks =/ it would make life easier though... haha
    Sounds like my best option is protein shakes. I'll try to do some research and find the best one for me.
    I'm wondering if I should still keep eating tonight though... I could eat more eggs... haha (I steal so many from the dining hall!)
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    After your workout hit a protein shake. Chocolate Whey, scoop of peanut butter, banana and almond milk.

You can get a 5 lbs bag of whey powder from Sams or Costco for less than $35 if you know anyone with a membership.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    What is Shakeology? Just a brand of protein powder? I've used "Whey to Go" in the past, I liked it a lot.

http://www.shakeology.com/

:)
  • shovav91
    Options
    Oh wow... those shakes sure are expensive! I'm a broke college student, I don't think that's going to happen. Haha, maybe when I have a real job.
    I'll look for an off brand or something at the grocery store.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem with changing my eating habits is that I don't eat meat, and I live in a dorm. My meals are essentially predetermined; I don't like the options they offer so I eat a lot of salad (which is ok, because it's my favorite food :))
    However, another problem is that I'm not trying to lose weight. I'm trying to healthily gain, so I guess adding more caloric foods is my only option. I have a lot of stomach issues (IBS) so really fatty foods often don't agree with me =/

I don't eat meat and struggled with this for a time. Trail mix is the way to go for me...nuts and raisins...just a few handfuls and you have consumed a nice amount of calories that are pretty ok for you. No matter where you live however you have food choices. Is there a microwave on you dorm floor...if so you can make oatmeal, can you have a dorm fridge, we used to be able to rent them for the year...but you can get Greek yogurt and grapenuts for breakfast etc. peanut butter does not require refridgeration (at least Jif but do what works) so peanut butter on apples etc don't require the cafeteria...also I would rather see real food but I like kids cliff bars and luna bars for an afternoon snack after I teach all day and before I go home to be momma and do my workout.....
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand the stuff you eat but you could eat regular bread instead of the 45 calorie kind and add a piece to your breakfast too?
  • shovav91
    Options
    I do have a microwave and a fridge, but if I don't eat my meals in the dining hall I will be wasting a ton of money (I have a meal plan). What I've been doing is eating my salad in the dining hall and coming back to my room and eating chips or cereal or something, just so I'm eating something with substance.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Why is you calorie intake 2100 before exercise? Am I seeing that right?
  • shovav91
    Options
    My goal calories are about 2040 I believe, but today I've eaten 1194 (before subtracting 500 for exercise).
  • shovav91
    Options
    Where did you see 2100?
    I'm not sure I've ever eaten that much in a day... haha
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I do have a microwave and a fridge, but if I don't eat my meals in the dining hall I will be wasting a ton of money (I have a meal plan). What I've been doing is eating my salad in the dining hall and coming back to my room and eating chips or cereal or something, just so I'm eating something with substance.

What kind of cereal are you eating? Granola is reasonably healthy but a bit high in calories/healthy fat, so that might be a good choice to add to your numbers.
  • bkraft2012
    Options
    My thoughts are have you inserted your correct weight and weight loss information? Are you at your goal weight and do you really need to continue losing? If that information is not correct then adjusting it may be the thing.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    To be honest, if that's you in your avatar, you don't look like you need to lose any weight! But your diet seems really clean and lean. Nice job. So eating meat is tough for a college girl. Fair enough. You could try a subway sandwich. Or try adding a protein shake when you can. There are decently priced whey proteins out there.
  • rentrikin
    rentrikin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    To be honest, if that's you in your avatar, you don't look like you need to lose any weight! But your diet seems really clean and lean. Nice job. So eating meat is tough for a college girl. Fair enough. You could try a subway sandwich. Or try adding a protein shake when you can. There are decently priced whey proteins out there.

That's just what I was going to mention. If that is you, and I assume it is, your ribs on your chest are sticking out. Clearly you do not need to lose weight.. So I am a little confused...
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    She's not trying to lose weight. She's trying to healthily gain weight.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I also noticed she running a protein deficit for the last 3-4 days. So I assume she's having a hard time getting enough of it. Thus the shake recommendation. If she needs the calories, she could use a whey protein that has more calories in it.

Also I note she's going mainly cardio. I bet adding a weight lfiting routine would do wonders.

I took the time to read here profile goals and it doesn't specifically say weight loss. But fitness. Which I think weight training would help. She can afford the calories, that's for sure.