CARBS

Options
Do you go by the rule - no white carbs such as white rice, potatoes, pasta, bread?

When I worked out with a personal trainer she told me when ever I eat a carb (whole grain-complex) to make sure I had a protein at the same time. I am now wondering did she do this to train me to eat a balanced diet or other reasons.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Do you go by the rule - no white carbs such as white rice, potatoes, pasta, bread?

When I worked out with a personal trainer she told me when ever I eat a carb (whole grain-complex) to make sure I had a protein at the same time. I am now wondering did she do this to train me to eat a balanced diet or other reasons.

no, because that is a silly rule.

the reason it was probably suggested was your trainer believes in all the myths that brown rice is better than white rice, sweet potatoes are better than white potatoes etc etc
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Nope. I do love my plain ol' pastas and white potatoes. I do avoid white bread because it's squiggy and can't hold up to any sandwich fillings.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Read this about cards, before you list off a bunch of carbs you can't eat.

http://www.helpwithcooking.com/nutrition-information/carbohydrates.html
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I have not sworn off all white everything but I usually have protein with every meal, and yes I stick to whole grain rice and bread most of the time, etc... also I eat sweet potatoes if I want potatoes rather than regular potatoes.. simply because I like them better. Complex carbs are better for you, yup, but that doesn't mean you can never ever eat a simple carb again.

ETA... I actually prefer the taste of whole grain bread over white bread.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I eat the white ones too just in moderation. Brown rice actually has more calories. As long as you are eating non processed foods and watching your portions eat whatever you want.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I don't. I just watch my calories. I did switch to Whitewheat bread, but I still use regular pasta and eat potatoes. For example, dinner last night was 6 oz. chicken, 1 cup mashed potatoes, and 1 cup broccoli. I just try to make sure I have a good protein and that if I eat 1 cup of rice/potatoes/pasta, I have to eat 1cup of veggies with it. I'm not overly fond of veggies, so that rule helps me keep my carbs in check!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I know it is looked down on here, but I eat white rice still when I like. I do have white bread (wheat bagels taste terrible) and have white potato. I don't understand they point of the rule most of the time. I eat how I like and lose weight steadily :drinker:
  • violon
    violon Posts: 74 Member
    Options

it keeps you full for longer... protein/fat + carb digests more slowly than carb by itself.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Nope. I do love my plain ol' pastas and white potatoes. I do avoid white bread because it's squiggy and can't hold up to any sandwich fillings.

I remember Squiggy from Laverne & Shirley.

And I don't discriminate. I eat food I like no matter what color it is.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

No I don't discriminate against carb color. I eat carbs of all types.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I don't care what color it is...but I don't eat a whole lot of carbs, period.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

I had once had a dream that food of all colors could be on one plate...
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Wheat bread has more fiber, more nutritious too, a big part of why I switched. I get more for my calories. I personally like wild brown rice way better than white rice. I think it has a better texture and flavor to it. I switched to whole grain pasta or whole wheat pasta for the health benefits also. I don't notice much of a taste difference with the pastas, and they're much better on my tummy too. :) As far as potatoes go, I rarely eat them, but if I do they're usually white. I do love sweet potatoes too. <3 Redskin potatoes are my favorite by far though.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Hasn't done me any harm...but each to their own I suppose
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    white carbs are bad for you...they serve no purpose...there are so many other foods that are good for you that take the place of the white carbs..

be careful taking advice from people who dont know what they are talking about...talk to a nutritionalist or a dietitian who can give you fact based advice.....

research yourself and get that advice...all our bodies are different and react to carbs in a different way....
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

I had once had a dream that food of all colors could be on one plate...

I pray that one day this dream comes true. Foods of all color, shape and size should be able to come together to make the world a better and tastier place!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    white carbs are bad for you...they serve no purpose...there are so many other foods that are good for you that take the place of the white carbs..

be careful taking advice from people who dont know what they are talking about...talk to a nutritionalist or a dietitian who can give you fact based advice.....

research yourself and get that advice...all our bodies are different and react to carbs in a different way....

^ "be careful taking advice from people who dont know what they are talking about"
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I do go by this rule. Though most doctors and nutritionists I have talked to or read have the rule as at least half of your grain carbs should be whole grains. As a personal rule, I only eat the "white carbs" when I'm out and that is all that's available though because I prefer the taste of brown rice to white, and whole grain breads to white. I don't eat that much pasta but when I do it depends on what it's prepared with as to which I use.
  • Kerriperkins
    Kerriperkins Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The truth is for someone just starting this program... Just watch your calories and exercise. In time you will find that you see things differently then you have in the past. You CANT do this all at once. You need to just figure out what works for your body and how your body reacts to things. And that will happen over time. Watching calories and making sure you exercise should be your main focus. Get that down and then you can add more complicated things.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't understand they point of the rule most of the time. I eat how I like and lose weight steadily

The "rule" has nothing to do with weight loss, It's about nutrition.