I HATE running!

Options
I know nothing beats cardio for weight-loss, but I cannot stand running! It's so boring to me! I thought maybe it was just being on a treadmill is what made it boring, so I tried running outside, and I still hate it! Not to mention I get distracted by all the hot boys running with no shirts and super sexy rock-hard abs (COME ON!). Plus outside is too cold, and I hate that my skin gets suuuuuuper dry.

Damn, those all sound like excuses.

Anyway, I soooo prefer circuit training because I'm not doing the same moves for longer than a minute or two, and it combines strength, abs, and cardio. I LOVE IT. And running can't get me to sweat like plank jacks and mountain climbers, and anything that is plank-related.

My question is, are there any other physically fit and healthy folks who despise running? It just seems like everyone's goals are a 5k marathon or something like that, and all the success stories have people saying that they can now run a bazillion miles without stopping, and that is SO not something I'm even remotely interested in. Please tell me I'm not alone!

Replies

• LaBelle89
    Options
    Your not alone. lol
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I ABSOLUTELY L:heart: VE RUNNING! But... there are plenty of other things you can do that is just as effective if running just isn't for you.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    im not fit but I hate running also I love the bike and the elliptical though so I use those I do plan on running a 5 k some day just so I can say I did but at 288 pounds its hard on my knees and ankles
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I used to be just like that!!! Then school got really stressful and found the peace in running!!! I came to love having that alone time to just think, and think about what I want to think about. I grew to love the steady thump sound of my feet hitting the ground! Jeez i sound like an infomercial for running....but seriously i think anyone, once they get past the initial aches an pains can appreciate running!!:happy: but i know exactly where you're coming from
  • Jconner30
    Options
    I used to HATE running too! One thing that may make you like it is this...

C25K - and go to a running store and have someone watch you walk and put you in some GOOD running shoes!

Dont try to kill yourself. Walk when you have to. Run slow but as you see the end of your run - run faster until you hit that finish line.

Use: http://www.mapmyrun.com to map out some loops. Continually increase your runs and before no time, you wil be doing an 8 mile track like its nothing.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    try cycling. you can go for longer and further then running. plus it will help you build up your cardio strength, so that you can get better at running.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    I hate running too. I dont even like to go for a walk. a bike might be nice, except I havent been on one in about 30 years so thats probably an accident waiting to happen lol
  • maaalva
    maaalva Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Youre not alone.
    I cant say I wouldnt like to run, but I cant because of my heart condition. Since I was born I cant run or accelerate my heart rate too much with anything, but I wasnt fat at all, and now its really getting in my way. But it is still possible. I've lost 14 pounds in about two months. I cant handle running for longer than 2 minutes, and I couldn't when my weight was 110lb.
  • Jconner30
    Options
    im not fit but I hate running also I love the bike and the elliptical though so I use those I do plan on running a 5 k some day just so I can say I did but at 288 pounds its hard on my knees and ankles

When I first started running, I was 275. I kept doing a 1 mile loop until I could run it w/o stopping. Now, I am 220 and still have about 25-30 pounds to lose. I do my first full marathon on Nov 13th -- 26.2 miles :)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    If you don't like running, don't run. :smile: Any exercise helps with weight loss (and plenty of people would argue that steady state cardio like running isn't the best).

See if you like strength training. Try HIIT (high intensity interval training). Try a boot camp. Play sports. Depending on where you live, there may be a lot of recreational team sports you could try.

Plenty of people don't run to get into shape. :smile:
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    I hate running too. I used to be really active, working out an hour and a half or more a day. I'd do 45 minutes or so on the elliptical and sometimes do bike riding and even then, I never ran. Running is just not my thing. I think that running is just a common exercise that people enjoy doing, but it's not the only way to stay fit and healthy. I would rather walk farther, ride my bike, do the elliptical or rowing machine or whatever instead of running.
  • MRK79
    MRK79 Posts: 6
    Options
    Nope! I HATE it too and for the same reason...it's BORING!!!!!!!!!!! I was up to running for about 1/2 and hour straight...but it was just SO. BORING!! What about roller blading? it's more fun than running and burns lots of cals!
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I love running so much that I almost cried reading your post. Anyway, I am an aerobics instructor to, and step is an excellent way to help becoming fit.
  • Bumblebee26
    Bumblebee26 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I hate running except during basketball and soccer. I got into cycling and it has transformed my life, I commute to work 17miles round trip. I also bike to everything now. The biking community is awesome so there is a TON of support. Great for cardio too.
  • s2481
    s2481 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I also hate running. Partly because I have asthma and it's hard even when I do use my inhaler. Elliptical and bike are much easier! I would like to run but I just don't find it enjoyable. :mad:
  • SamMorBelsmom
    SamMorBelsmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have a complete love-hate relationship with running. I love it this week, surprisingly. But I know that could change at a drop of a dime. I just keep switching it up. Google different running training programs and keep it interesting. I try and switch it up whenever the hate creeps back into my life. If you just can't do it...then don't!! You need to be doing this for you, do what you like and keep it up. Elipticals and stair steppers are great forms of cardio. Remember, healthy is a life style, not a diet.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Try a spin class or stair climbing if running isn't your gig.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to lie. I used to hate running and now I adore it. But I can fully understand hating it. :) Here's the thing, though... I sometimes feel guilty because my running can edge into my weight lifting time! Cardio might be great for "weight loss," but lifting heavy weights is even better for "fat loss" (-- it minimizes the amount of muscle you lose while you're losing weight). So don't feel bad about not enjoying cardio as much - if you're lifting heavy weights on a regular basis, that will do you just as well, if not better, over the long term, in terms of your body composition!

If you want to improve your cardiovascular health, but minimize the amount of time you do running or other cardio stuff, look into high intensity interval training. You get a lot of bang for your buck in a 15-20 minute HIIT session.
  • kristenanna
    kristenanna Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    stick it out :) everyone who is not a natural runner initially hates it. find someone to go with who is at a similar fitness level? thats how i started to enjoy it. run slower than i do on my own but it doesn't feel like a chore when with someone else and have a little chat. and it is the quickest way to burn calories if your a busy person.
    but in answer to your other question of course you can be fit otherwise :) running only ONE type of exercise out of countless. some people can dance or swim for hours on end but would never go for a run.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Running sucks. If I'm going to do cardio it's going to at least be an elliptical. I can dial up the resistance and it utilizes my arms too. 500-600cals easy and it doesn't destroy my joints.