Options
    these all sound so good.

bump:)
  • partonsara
    partonsara Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I use this recipe...
    http://www.food.com/recipe/ww-hearty-stuffed-bell-peppers-364567

Even my 2 1/2 year old will eat it :) Enjoy!
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    So I'm not a huge fan of stuffed peppers, but these are DELICIOUS!

Ingredients:

-6 medium to large peppers: washed, tops cut off and seeds removed.

-1 cup of Quinoa

-2 cups of water

-1 tablespoon oil

-1.5 cup chopped onion

-2 cups chopped mushrooms

-1 can diced tomatoes (suggest: Eating Right brand made by Safeway. They do not add salt! Makes it even healthier!)

-2 cups medium or hot salsa (depending on how spicy you want this)

-Tabasco sauce (a couple dashes, again your choice dependent on how spicy you want it!)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 300F

Steam peppers until cooked, but not soggy (should still be somewhat firm). (I used a pressure cooker and steaming basket for this, so it took about 5 minutes, once the seal was made.) Remove from heat and set aside.

In pot, add quinoa and water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until done (about 15 minutes - the center of each piece should be clear and there is a ring around them when they are done.) Set aside.

In an OVEN PROOF frying pan (if you have one!), heat oil, add onions once HOT. Cook onions until almost translucent, add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are done. Add 1 can of the diced tomatoes, reserving the other can. Add salsa, heat mixture through. Add Tabasco to taste.

Pour frying pan mixture into finished quinoa, stir well. Stuff this mixture into each pepper.

In the oven proof frying pan (or casserole pan if you don't have the frying pan) open and pour the other can of tomatoes into the bottom. Put stuffed peppers in, and put into oven for about 20-30 minutes.

Serve!

Nutritional information: per pepper:

Calories: 247

Carbs: 49

Fat: 4g

Fibre: 9g

Sodium: 280mg

Sugar: 19g
  • gail1101
    gail1101 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There is one I have made that includes steamed shrimp, white or brown rice, tomato sauce, horseradish and salt and pepper. I don't the exact measurements but you mix it all together and put in blanched pepper (I don't blanch mine very long because I like a little bit of crunch in my peppers). They you just bake at 350 for about 25 - 30 minutes, until hot. Since all the ingredients are cooked before you stuff them, it does not take long. The ingredient with the most calories is the rice, but it is up to you how much you use.

I think that there were around 300 calories in one pepper. Not bad if you just have a salad with it.

Hope this helps.
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    for a little addd kick to the tomato sauce, i blended some tomato sauce WITH rotel green chile and tomatoes..it is DELICIOUS, you can mix that in with everything else, the one i do is ground beef cooked with onion and garlic, mix in some black beans that have been drained and quinoa. mix in the tomato sauce with rotel in. stuff the peppers, top with a little cheese, bake, serve with a little of the tomato sauce mixture on the side. simple, easy, YUMMY!!! the sauce made it soooo good

oh yea, when the meat is cooking you can sprinkle in some oregano, it gives it a good flavor too!
  • SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It's not the easiest, but it's by far the tastiest. I also make it lasagna style with some grilled eggplant layers.

Ingredients
    6 medium red bell peppers (use any you find, I like poblano)
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
    1 1/2 pounds all-white meat ground chicken (ground turkey is fine)
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    4 piquillo peppers, minced (i just used some red peppers, or the tops of the peppers I stuffed)
    1/2 cup golden raisins, chopped
    2 teaspoons sweet paprika
    3/4 cup dry sherry
    2 15-ounce cans of tomato sauce, divided
    1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves (about a handful), chopped
    1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted (I leave this out b/c I'm allergic)
    2-3 cups cooked leftover rice
    2 cups Manchego cheese, shredded (I don't add this)

Preparation

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Cut off the top quarter of each bell pepper (the stem end) and reserve as a lid. Cut a very thin sliver off the bottom of each bell pepper just to even it off so it sits standing up without wobbling. Make sure the bottom stays intact so that you have a solid cup that won't leak.

Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add EVOO. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook until brown, about 5-8 minutes, breaking it up into small bits with the back of a wooden spoon as it cooks. Add the onion, garlic, piquillo peppers, raisins and paprika. Continue to cook until the onions start to get tender, about 3-4 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the sherry, stirring to get any brown bits off the bottom of the skillet. Add 1 1/2 cans of tomato sauce and cook about 5 minutes more. Turn off the heat and add the parsley, almonds and cooked rice to the pot. Stir to combine.

Pour the remaining 1/2 can of tomato sauce into an oven-safe baking dish with a touch of water for additional liquid to create a bed for the peppers to sit on. Fill each pepper up halfway with the chicken and rice filling mixture.

Top with a little manchego cheese then fill with more chicken and rice mixture, and a little more cheese on tip of that. Set in the baking dish and place the tops back on top of each pepper as a lid. Bake, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes.
  • newmetasha
    Options
    I love stuffed peppers I oven my peppers first for about half an hour so they go Soft but not to soft then Stuff with cooked Cous cous & onion etc Then Sprinke some cheese on top of the cous couse at the top & oven til its melty :) Simple for me cos i hate cooking ha x
  • phocid
    phocid Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have made these once before, and I'm making them again tonight. They're super delicious. The ingredients list looks long, but it's mostly spices:

Lamb (or Beef) and Feta Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    6 medium green bell peppers (or pricier colors)
    1 tsp ground Greek oregano
    1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 cup cooked brown rice
    8 ounces ground lamb (or beef 5% or 7%)
    1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
    1/3 cup chopped dried apricot
    1 can tomato sauce (about 15 oz)
    1 cup cold water
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon white sugar

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
    2. Heat oil in a medium skillet and add onion. Cook until soft (about 5 minutes).
    Stir in garlic and cook another 1 to 2 minutes.
    3. Remove pepper tops and cores, and stand them upright in a a 9x12-inch baking dish or deep dutch oven.
    4. In large bowl, combine onion mixture and all of the spices. Mix in rice and raw meat.
    fold in feta cheese and apricots. Stuff peppers with mixture.
    5. Mix tomato sauce with water, lemon juice and sugar. Pour half over peppers, and half over bottom
    of dish. Cover baking dish with foil.
    6. Bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and continue baking 15 minutes. Baste occasionally
    with sauce, until a meat thermometer inserted in center of filling reads 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).

Note - tonight, I plan to take about 1/2 - 3/4 cup of the tomato sauce mixture and fold it into the stuffing mixture. I thought last time that the stuffing could have used a bit more of the tomato kick.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I make it easy by making it a soup!

Stuffed Pepper Soup (Cookinglight.com)

1/2 pound ground round, 2 cups chopped green bell pepper, 1 cup chopped onion, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1 (14-ounce) can less-sodium beef broth, 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted 1 1/2 cups hot cooked rice

Heat a small Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add chopped green bell pepper and onion; cook 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in black pepper, less-sodium beef broth, diced tomatoes, and tomato soup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes.
    Spoon 1/4 cup hot cooked white rice into each of 6 bowls; top with 1 cup soup.

*Variations: for tomato soup I use Amy's or Progresso - Campbell's is super sweet (yuck). I also like to add some basil. You can use brown rice. Red & green pepper combo is nice.