[GROUP FULL] SPARTANS: No Excuses November Chat - Wk 1

Options

Replies

• manda127
    manda127 Posts: 145
    Options
    Doing better with the water today than yesterday, trying to make that effort though!

I'll give the calf raises a go but not sure how many I will get in in the 3 hours between now and bed time
  • Leobaby
    Leobaby Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I did lots of calf raises yesterday... in a squat position, I wanted to die!!!!! LOL

This normal ones should be no problem, I'll aim for 200!!!

Got my water yesterday, right on target :D

Also managed to do 2 workouts in Active 2 and 1 of the 30 Day Shred. Oddly enough, I feel great today, just a little bit sore. Will try to do the same tonight!
  • kateland
    kateland Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone!!! Way to ***BRING IT*** right out of the gate! :love:
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Okay so my quads are still on fire but I went to the Gym anyway and will cycle into work tomorrow. Started on my weights program this evening (even though I skipped the leg ones - because of the quad problem). Couldn't help myself doing a little bit of gentle cardio too. I did the 100 calf things and it hurt! Some of them were more like mini bounces than good quality movements but am happy enough :) Came in well under my Cal target for the day.
  • manda127
    manda127 Posts: 145
    Options
    100 calf raises done!
  • Ebonybridget
    Options
    Thanks so much for your hard work on this!! It is great!!

I am in Australia though, so in your terms "THE FUTURE!" any chance of jumping ahead a day with the challenges? I guess it will also give evryone else the chance to plan ahead, if they cant see everyday =)

Water consumption going up, and 300 leg raises coming your way (seems as its now the 3rd day for me!)

Anyone also got any motivation tips for getting me out of bed 1/2 hour earlier?? I just keep pushing SNOOZE!!
  • ycc1964
    ycc1964 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Calf raises done.
  • PamelaLavender
    PamelaLavender Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Day 2:
    Journaled - check
    Slim-N-Six DVD - done
    Ellipital Trainer or Walking - Walked 3 miles

Daily Challenge: 100 Calf Raises - completed 101 :0)

Okay bring on tomorrow.

Nite nite all.
  • MzGrinch9250
    MzGrinch9250 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Day 1: Only got in 64oz's of water.

Day 2: Still working on my water and plan on going over the 64oz's and as close to 100oz's before bed. It's late and I just now found this thread, so I won't be doing the calf raises today.
  • Dclem1206
    Options
    Only had time for 50 calf raises. Better than nothing.
  • TheyAre3Together
    Options
    TheyAre3Together - First of all, I've been meaning to say, I LOVE that song, if that's the song your name refers to. Also, W00h00's on your 80 oz!

It is from the song!! I'm impressed =) It's one of my favorites <3
    And I got my 100 calf raises in today, yay!
  • Ant_M76
    Options
    Anyone also got any motivation tips for getting me out of bed 1/2 hour earlier?? I just keep pushing SNOOZE!!

Adjust the clock on the bedside table so it is 1 hour fast. This way is 'win-win' as you get to have a 30 minute lie in and still end up getting out of bed 30 mins earlier than you need to!
  • kateland
    Options
    ***** SPARTANS! *******

Here are your orders for today and tomorrow (for our international time travelers)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ==== DAY THREE CHALLENGE ====

FLEXIBILITY. 5, 10, 15 minutes of flexibility routine. inner thigh, hamstrings, calves. Especially after those calf raises yesterday! Make sure you are breathing very steady and slow, really quiet your mind, oxygenate your brain, oxygenate your cells, while you're holding your stretches.

Here is a great video - 3 minutes long with some suggestions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AFb1DmNiT4&amp;feature=related

Enjoy the break, Spartans, because we're back at it on Day FOUR!

==== DAY FOUR CHALLENGE ====

CORE. Super intense abs! Not just ANY sit up or crunches - Spartan Style! This circuit will BLAST your obliques, lower abs, and then crush the entire core.

Side Jackknife Crunch
    The side jackknife crunch is the most intense oblique exercise there is, but once again, the majority of the resistance is isometric. To perform a side jackknife crunch, lie on your right side on an exercise mat. Place your right hand palm-down out in front of yourself for balance. Place your left fingertips behind your ear. Lift your left leg, performing a side leg-lift. At the same time, perform a side crunch. At the top of the movement, contract your left oblique abdominal muscle as hard as you can. Hold for a moment, then release back down. Perform in sets of 10 to 20 reps.

Reverse Crunch
    There is argument over whether it's possible to work the lower abs more intensely during an exercise, or if the entire rectus abdominis acts as one muscle. Still, it's good to perform abdominal exercises that are intended to target the lower abs, if only to add some variety to your routine that will shock your abs into growth. The "Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding" explains that you should lie on your back, lift your legs and point your toes toward the ceiling, keeping a slight bend in your knees. Keep your hands on the ground at your sides for stability. Crunch your abs, lifting your butt of the ground and tilting your pelvis toward your ribcage. Hold the contraction. Release back to the ground. Perform in sets of 10 to 20 reps.

Abdominal hold
    The abdominal hold doesn't look like a crunch, but it's a *very* intense one. To keep your body from rotating, your entire core contracts, and your rectus abdominis crunches very hard. To perform an abdominal hold, you need a weight bench or a very sturdy wooden chair. Sit with your hands solidly on the seat and your fingertips gripping the edge. Press down through your palms and raise your butt off the seat and your feet off the ground. Fitness Magazine explains that you should hold this position for 5 to 10 seconds before lowering yourself. Repeat for a full minute.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/136948-the-best-kinds-crunches-abs/#ixzz1cdYbK9rP

Note: If you can't get to the full set listed, do as many as you can. If you can easily get to it, try to double it and get as far as you can. This goes for all challenges! Beginners, go for half.
  • kateland
    Options
    OK so a little accountability here from command center. Yesterday I got in 40 calf raises. Holy, lord, I am so MEAN! lol. I had intended to do the rest of the sets but completely forgot about them. In addition to my new job, the Spartan challenge, my novel writing mission for November, my boyfriend and I are in the middle of house renovations to prep it for sale in the spring. So last night was the first night I wasn't ripping up carpet, moving furniture, painting, spackling, etc. I watched TV for the first time in two weeks and took a hot bath. I even went to bed early (9:30) and STILL overslept! I want to be up at 5, but I snoozed til 6. But I feel good.

I came in just under my calories yesterday (had more of an appetite, probably those stinkin' calf raises) and am setting a goal for myself today:

1. Complete the remaining 60 calf raises
    2. Get the 100 oz of water in - I'd only made it to 64.
    3. Do my flexibility (which I will need after said calf raises)

I'll report in on how I'm doing :) I did peek at the scale, and so far the food control alone is shedding some excess weight! I'm psyched.
  • Ant_M76
    Options
    Come on Kateland - failure isn't an option! You are doing well... Dig a little harder :)
  • kateland
    Options
    okAY okAY wow...I really created some monsters ;)

Just did a set of 20, as soon as I'm done chugging my first 16oz i'll hit another 20.

/salute

/slurp water
  • char2009
    Options
    okay, so I went a little over on the calf raises...but I only did them a hundred at a time...I got in 400 yesterday...
    Plus I did a killer workout and it felt GREAT!! :)

My calories for yesterday was ridiculous though....I ate almost 2000 :( Plus I was shy 2 glasses of what I want to drink... (my calorie goal is set at 1400)
    Looking forward to today (and tomorrow's) challenge...I'm going to stay within my calories today and drink ALL my water!!

YAY SPARTANS!! lol.
  • kateland
    Options
    OK I have a new thing I'm gonna do. After I drink 16 oz (the glass I have) I go over to the steps and do a set of 20 slow calf raises. I am not at failure but man are they burning by 20.

So I've got 16 oz in and 40 reps today. I don't see why I can't shoot for this every day. (she says arrogantly, and will live to regret it..)

Char - at least you're logging everything! And wow, 400?! Man, I must have zero muscle tone, lol.
  • julsmarshall
    julsmarshall Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    worked out again this morning, day 7 of the 30DS and day 5 of getting up at 5:30 am to do it. It is getting easier to get up :)

I didn't finish all of my calf raises either, got home and completely spaced it so I will be playing catch up too-will finish today.

feeling good, I ate a little too much last night, I didn't go over my calories by much, but it was just too much all at once and it made my stomach hurt. Wow is that different for me--smaller portions feel like normal portions now. That is a huge NSV for me!

have a great day all, drink that water and streeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch!
  • Ant_M76
    Options
    okay, so I went a little over on the calf raises...but I only did them a hundred at a time...I got in 400 yesterday...
    Plus I did a killer workout and it felt GREAT!! :)

Dude, you're making me feel guilty for only doing 100 dodgy quality ones :D
    Congrats on your performance though - an inspiration!!