night time munchies anyone ??

Options
2»

Replies

• Kimberlycc
    Options
    iv heard its bad for you to eat after a certain time at night as it all goes to your hips tummy ect :s
    Big fat myth.

I'm glad to hear that!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    My favorites are eating dark chocolate. I get the really dark kind like over 70% and it is so intense that it is self limiting. I break up about half an ounce and am lucky to finish that. Also I like to sip on a hot drink. Tea sometimes doesn't work but if I make a hot chocolate with hersheys cocoa powder and non fat milk or soy milk that is really satisfying to me as is my large decaf latte - fewer calories and I use stevia for both.
  • DottieNewton
    DottieNewton Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    For me the later it gets the more I want to munch. IF, i have aeten all my calories or nearly there, I simply go to my room which for me is upstairs and don't allow myself to come back down. May sound funny--but whatever works. The sugar-free jello sounds good. I will make me a big bowl of that.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I always save a few calories at night for my bedtime snack. I have always had a bed-time snack and it's part of my bedtime routine. After my snack I brush my teeth. That always seems to work to tell my tummy that we're going to bed.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    make a cup of tea,it takes up some time and drinking it takes time too. Maybe go for a walk to distract yourself.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    make a cup of tea,it takes up some time and drinking it takes time too. Maybe go for a walk to distract yourself.
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Fat free jello and cool whip - think it's like 10 calories! I have to eat something before I go to bed! Habit, I guess, but at least it's not 1/2 loaf of bread and butter!
  • KelleFlr
    KelleFlr Posts: 142
    Options
    Yes I struggle with that too. I have tried a serving of peanuts but worry about the fat and sodium. I bought myself raw almonds today and will see if that helps. I have tried celery, carrots, or getting on the treadmill. I am still working on chaning that habit. At least I am not doing ice cream like I used to. Haven't had any.
    When I dieted before I did the brushing teeth and whitening thing and it really helped. I had to put my trays in (from the DDS) for an hour so I might have dinner around 6, cleanup and done around 7., Then I'd busy myself until 8:30 or so and then put in the whitening stuff until bedtime.
    I also used to crochet., haven't since I had my wrist surgery though.., once therapy is done I may get back to it.
    Good luck. Great tips on here.
    Kelle
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just save some calories so that you can eat at night?

Exactly this. If you know you are going to get the munchies later on, just save yourself a couple of hundred calories in the day, so you can have your snacks later on. That's what i do! :)
  • meeko_meerkat
    meeko_meerkat Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You can try snack foods with a really low calorie count when you really get the munchies. I like to eat a big bowl of diet jelly :) There's essentially no calories in that!

Like regular jelly...like peanut butter and jelly, jelly?

Sorry, I forget there's a difference in the product name outside of Australia. By jelly I mean the awesome product that wobbles on your plate! I think you know it as Jell-o.

So just the diet (sugar-free, no calorie, etc) version of that.
  • kristen11joy
    kristen11joy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I save calories and plan an evening snack. Also, doing something that keeps my hands busy -- if I read or watch TV I get really munchy (habit!!) so I try to do something else -- knitting works for me -- or checking facebook and MFP. It also helps if I enter the calories on MFP before I eat them. Sometimes just that will make me realize I don't want it THAT badly!
  • zeleni
    zeleni Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    There are some great suggestions in here! I also LOVE to eat in the evening.. boo urns!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just save some calories so that you can eat at night?

Absolutely do the above.
  • bruthacuervo
    bruthacuervo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I keep some of the Fiber One snacks around for this purpose. Fiber One Brownie--- Peanut Butter and Chocolate bars.. that and a glass of skim milk. 90 calories--- more calories in the milk than the snack.. bit high on the Sugar Side if thats an issue, but it hasnt been for me in my weight loss yet so....
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I save some calories to have a snack at night. My favorite is the 100 calorie Smart Pop popcorn bags. I also like to have a cup of hot tea (Celestial Seasonings flavored teas--favorites are sugar cookie sleigh ride and sleepytime vanilla!) with a little Splenda in it. Hot tea is filling and satisfies the sweet tooth.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I save calories for night time