HEALTHY FAST FOOD???

Options
1235»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'm still confused as to why the BREAD at Subway is considered "high in sodium" they list the 6 inch white as 290 mg of sodium. The daily guidelines say 2300 mg of sodium, or if you have heart issues 1500 mg. Let's say you decided to only use HALF of that 2300 mg so 1150 mg. If you at the bread you still have 860 mg of sodium left for the day. This would be a meal, and you can drink it with water. So I don't see that as high sodium at all. There are FAR worse things than bread for sodium.

The bread isn't high in sodium, the meat is.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Healthy is what people's perception of "healthy" is.

No, healthy is food that improves your health when you eat it. Perception really has nothing to do with it. Believing or pretending that unhealthy food is healthy doesn't make it healthy.
    You just don't get it. What is unhealthy for one person may be healthy for another.....Restating fast food is always unhealthy, is flawed logic and repeating yourself doesn't make it any more correct.

You're arguing with the same person who told me that a head of lettuce magically becomes unhealthy because it's delivered to a McDonald's instead of a grocery store. It's a lost cause.

LOL It's not magic.

I'm still waiting for you to explain it. Obviously you can't. If it's automatically unhealthy, please, give me a serious, real, scientific explanation as to why a vegetable automatically becomes unhealthy when purchased by a fast food restaurant.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    You're arguing with the same person who told me that a head of lettuce magically becomes unhealthy because it's delivered to a McDonald's instead of a grocery store. It's a lost cause.

Yeah I know. The problem some people have when just starting out learning about nutrition is, in the belief there is a right answer and an answer that supersedes all argument regarding a particular subject. Confirmation bias is a wonderful thing if you don't want to argue with anyone and just make yourself feel better. The problem with that is down the road you get blindsided and then realize nothing is as simple as it appears, especially in nutritional science.
  • wendorfa
    Options
    I'm still confused as to why the BREAD at Subway is considered "high in sodium" they list the 6 inch white as 290 mg of sodium. The daily guidelines say 2300 mg of sodium, or if you have heart issues 1500 mg. Let's say you decided to only use HALF of that 2300 mg so 1150 mg. If you at the bread you still have 860 mg of sodium left for the day. This would be a meal, and you can drink it with water. So I don't see that as high sodium at all. There are FAR worse things than bread for sodium.

The bread isn't high in sodium, the meat is.

A previous poster said "Sodium in the bread" that is why I was confused. There are veggie subs as well.
  • virruth
    virruth Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    thx for a great post
  • virruth
    virruth Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    to solpwr thx for great post
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Healthy is what people's perception of "healthy" is.

No, healthy is food that improves your health when you eat it. Perception really has nothing to do with it. Believing or pretending that unhealthy food is healthy doesn't make it healthy.
    You just don't get it. What is unhealthy for one person may be healthy for another.....Restating fast food is always unhealthy, is flawed logic and repeating yourself doesn't make it any more correct.

LOL It's not magic.

I'm still waiting for you to explain it. Obviously you can't. If it's automatically unhealthy, please, give me a serious, real, scientific explanation as to why a vegetable automatically becomes unhealthy when purchased by a fast food restaurant.

Oh sorry, to keep you waiting. I thought we were done.

Most (probably all) spray nitrates on the lettuce and other veggies to keep them fresh longer. I thought posted that earlier. If you want to believe that these nitrates are not unhealthy then we'll just have to agree to disagree because I've been told by a trusted nutritionist that they are.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Most (probably all) spray nitrates on the lettuce and other veggies to keep them fresh longer. I thought posted that earlier. If you want to believe that these nitrates are not unhealthy then we'll just have to agree to disagree because I've been told by a trusted nutritionist that they are.
    Nitrates are naturally occuring in vegetables and mother nature put them there for a reason, believe it or not their healthy............do you have any opinion of your own? or do you not wonder any further than the first 2 entries of google, I'm beginning to think you dont, considering your canned speach in just about any subject is to appeal to authority and say most medical sources say..... to which there are many conflicting opinions if you even bothered to look. I like to explore beyond the surface of conventional dogma, you should try it some time.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Nitrates are naturally occuring in vegetables and mother nature put them there for a reason, believe it or not their healthy............do you have any opinion of your own? or do you not wonder any further than the first 2 entries of google, I'm beginning to think you dont, considering your canned speach in just about any subject is to appeal to authority and say most medical sources say..... to which there are many conflicting opinions if you even bothered to look. I like to explore beyond the surface of conventional dogma, you should try it some time.

So ... no way to agree to disagree, I see. We're just going to lower ourselves to insults. Sorry, not interested today, I'm afraid. I've already stated why I think the nitrates added to processed and fast foods are unhealthy (at least twice, including the message to which you replied) and it had nothing to do with Google or the internet. If you can't, won't or just plain ol' don't want to read or understand that then I can't do anything about it. But I'm just not really in a mud slinging mood today.
  • Ebwash89
    Ebwash89 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Ugghh...I'm so sick of everyone worrying about sodium and processed foods, etc etc...unless you have your own garden, your own cow, your own chickens, etc, you have to worry about sodium and processing...life is way too short for all that!
    Watch your calories!!! A calorie is a calorie is a calorie...period! Yes there are other options if you are going to a fast food restaurant! You will pay more, but if you go to Wendy's, get the salad, only use one of the packets of dressing and get the low cal one. Go to Chipotle, get a rice bowl with chicken, salsa and lettuce only, no cheese no sour cream. Go to Subway, eat the turkey or ham sandwich without mayo....hey, it worked for Jared!!! Read the nutrition menus before going so you know what you're eating.
    Otherwise, start growing your own veggies and rice, buy a cow and start raising some chickens.

Preach!! I'm sorry but those people must have absolutely no social life or have nothing but time on their hands to cook! People like to go out to eat and are sometimes on the go, in a rush, etc.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'd argue that everyone should be sodium aware. You may not eat a particularly low sodium diet, but you ought to at least pay attention. It doesn't benefit you to stick your head in the sand and pretend that your sodium intake doesn't matter.

You know, I'm one of those unlucky Americans that is dealing with high blood pressure. It is nothing to fool around with. Sure, if you heart and kidneys are healthy your body can handle more sodium, but that doesn't make it a good thing, and that certainly doesn't give you a free pass to ignore your sodium intake.

Bottom line is, a high sodium diet increases your likelihood to suffer from high blood pressure and heart disease and a myriad of other health problems. Science has born this out for many many years. That doesn't mean everyone will have this problem, but from a statistical point of view, you are certainly increasing your chances. There are several other risk factors such as family history of high blood pressure and/or heart disease as well as being overweight/obese.

Most of us here on MFP are overweight/obese so we are already dealing with that risk factor, then most of use eat a high sodium diet, so that is the second risk factor. Unfortunately, many of us have a history of high blood pressure/heart disease in the family, another risk factor. This means that many of us already have 3 things going on that increase our risk of high blood pressure/heart disease. But it doesn't stop there. Are you a woman over 65? Add another risk factor. Are you African-American? Add another risk factor? Do you drink too much? Add another risk factor. Are you mostly sedentary? Add another. The list goes on.

The point of the matter is this: if you can eat a lower sodium diet you should because we are all at risk. No one is perfect. Sometimes fast food is the only option, but it doesn't hurt to be aware of your sodium intake. It doesn't hurt to try to keep it down to at most 2,500mg a day (but preferably lower). And what's more, it's not that difficult once you start paying attention.
  • Ebwash89
    Ebwash89 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Ugghh...I'm so sick of everyone worrying about sodium and processed foods, etc etc...unless you have your own garden, your own cow, your own chickens, etc, you have to worry about sodium and processing...life is way too short for all that!
    Watch your calories!!! A calorie is a calorie is a calorie...period!

That's silly. You can buy fresh or frozen vegetables and meats at the grocery store that are not processed and don't have sodium added. You can even buy no/reduced salt canned foods. I can't speak for anyone else but I don't worry about sodium and processed food additives because of the calories. I worry about them because they are unnatural and mostly unhealthy. I like being thin, but I like being healthy even more.

Fast food is not a necessity in today's world. It's a convenience.

I'm sorry but you all do realize that the same food from fast food companies are the same foods that are in your gracery stores. Its all sprayed with chemicals and preservatives.