Just what IS "Plus Size"??

Options
Pollywog39
Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
I was watching some stupid fashion-type show the other day, and this crazy-weird supposed fashion guru was telling his protege that she "had to make her clothes appeal to the 'every-woman'", and that part of this would be to make her clothing fit Plus Size ladies.

Guess what the PLUS SIZE person wore?

A SIZE 8!!!

what the flippin' hell????????????????????????

I almost choked on my halloween candy :wink: :wink:

Replies

• Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    WHAT????? Are you sure you heard right?? That's insane. Plus size is usually 14 and up....maybe even 16. :noway:
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    Ridiculous
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Wtf? I guess when your runway models are 5'11 and weigh 11 pounds, size 8 does seem big. Compared to the rest of the world, size 8 is tiny.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I think the world has a very distorted veiw of what a real woman should look like I would be very happy wearing a size 12 and being healthy and curvy. iTS CRAZY ISNT IT X
  • Kristin111365
    Options
    Wow I though Plus Sizes were 12 and up!!!! a size 8 is crazy.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Remember plus size models and plus size consumers are not the same thing. A typical model would be more size 0, maybe 2
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I think that's just absolutely ridiculous.

A size eight is considered plus size? No wonder there are so many women out there with image issues.
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Wtf? I guess when your runway models are 5'11 and weigh 11 pounds, size 8 does seem big. Compared to the rest of the world, size 8 is tiny.

I agree. I would love to purchase a pair of size eight jeans!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I know! I thought I was hearing it wrong, but this idiot kept saying that the Size 8 gal was a "plus size".......but he was comparing her to size 0 and 2's.

Insane!!!!
  • cmbrysonussery
    cmbrysonussery Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I work in the fashion industry. Clothing PLUS Size starts at 16 for most designers/manufacturers. Model PLUS size is usually a size 10-12 girl (and she's 5'10)
  • ShannanLaNae
    ShannanLaNae Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    yea plus sizes are usually 12 and up, that person was an jerk and a half to say that. In the real world a size 8 is a goal size!
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    It's likely correct. They are likely discussing vanity sizing. It's probably more like 12 to 14 in real sizes.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Unbelievable.....how demoralising for larger ladies.....and no wonder youngsters have such distorted images of their bodies. Sad World...

Sue :smile: x
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    In American sizing, I think 16 and up is considered 'Plus Size'. Sometimes they throw a size called 14W into the mix, but a 14W is cut quite a bit larger than a regular 14.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    That is why it is sooooooo important for us adult women whether we have daughters or not to model to young girls and teens that celebraties and Hollywood body type does not equal healthy! I have talked with a lot of friends and skinny does not equal healthy. I think it truly goes by how you feel and consultation with trusted doctor/regisitered dietician. Teach to appreciate and take joy in the shape of the body you were gifted to have.
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I get more annoyed that there is a "plus size"!! why put a label on people who god made big and beautiful? Just make clothes and leave it be!!! women are women, I don't need a plus label! but that is just me!
  • dkvote
    dkvote Posts: 58
    Options
    I recently watched an evening news show and they said the "average size woman" was now a size 14! However, it is the least purchased size...this article is about that but not from the actual news show I saw it on... http://www.cleveland.com/style/index.ssf/2010/08/size_14_is_average_american_wo.html
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    In high end fashion size 8 is plus. Crazy, isn't it?? In commercial clothing lines, plus is 14 and up, sometimes 12.

When are we going to have standard women's clothing sizes? There are no industry rules or regulations for what defines an 8 or a 12. The whole racket just makes us feel bad about ourselves, and we must endlessly try on clothes, take things back and get different sizes over and over again, which just tears us down more.

And the real question - when are we going to stop being so unrealistic about body image? I would love to be a size 12 looking healthy and lean, but I don't want to be a waifish 0 looking hungry and ill.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that clothing in very expensive stores is sized differently. A size 12 woman in Walmart would be a size 8 in those very upscale stores. I prefer to get a size 12 in Walmart, rather than spend $1000.00 on a size 8. Just my opinion. :wink: :drinker: (lots of water)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    why put a label on people who god made big and beautiful
    Well, I'm tall, can't help that. I'm beautiful, yes. But nobody made me plus sized. I did that all on my own...