jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat them back. Period.

Exercise calories explained:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/383956-exercise-calories-explained
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Wow. All the attitudes. I was giving my opinion and I guess it was wrong. Im new to this site and losing weight. I thought maybe I'd get the support of "here let me help" if im wrong, not all this attitude and negativity. i'll remove my post. But no i guess i don't understand how to lose weight. even tho i've lost 7 lbs all on my own. Thanks for help people, and the rudeness. No wonder people get discouraged because others just can't stand to be nice and help. That was just how I saw it. I wasn't being snotty or anything. Good luck to you all. Apparently you're doing it right and no one else is allowed to have opinions and get support. I'm completely appalled by the reactions. I thought this was supposed to be a site to support and encourage and help people, not shoot them down when they don't realize how to do it perfectly or right, like the rest of you. Again i am sorry for the miss information I will remove my post

Sorry, giving wrong information is not an opinion. If you had said "I don't eat them back, and so far it's been working for me" - that would be an opinion (and a correct one for you). Telling someone that eating back their exercise calories means they're overeating, when they are actually still at a 250-1000 calorie deficit as the site intended, is factually wrong.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    And this is fine, for you. I'm a HUGE proponent of "do what works for you." What gets my goat is when people give WRONG advice to other people because they don't understand how the site works.

Exactly. The way I see it, it's a tool. The real key to losing weight and getting healthier lies with each individual person. Some people want detailed plans of "eat this, do that" Others (like me) just want to be able to track what we're doing on a consistent basis. MFP is useful either way.

What's interesting to me is how much confusion and conflicting information is out there when you consider all the data that comes at each of us every day with respect to nutrition. Remember when meat was bad and lots of carbs was good? Then, low-carb is good, then it's bad. Now, I know a lot of people following CKD diets. It makes me wonder how much the professional "nutrition and fitness" community REALLY knows about diet and metabolism.

Is it any wonder people are confused?
  • sharonachamberlain
    Options
    Leah,
    I am new to this as well, and am trying to find out how to use the program. I did notice that there is some negativity, but don't let that get you down. If you want I will send you a friend request, and we can bounce some ideas off each other.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Wow. All the attitudes. I was giving my opinion and I guess it was wrong. Im new to this site and losing weight. I thought maybe I'd get the support of "here let me help" if im wrong, not all this attitude and negativity. i'll remove my post. But no i guess i don't understand how to lose weight. even tho i've lost 7 lbs all on my own. Thanks for help people, and the rudeness. No wonder people get discouraged because others just can't stand to be nice and help. That was just how I saw it. I wasn't being snotty or anything. Good luck to you all. Apparently you're doing it right and no one else is allowed to have opinions and get support. I'm completely appalled by the reactions. I thought this was supposed to be a site to support and encourage and help people, not shoot them down when they don't realize how to do it perfectly or right, like the rest of you. Again i am sorry for the miss information I will remove my post

We are not pushing opinions, we are explaining how MFP is set up and why it does what it does.
    Would you go to a weight watchers class then argue that they are calculating points wrong? That is how the program is set up and it is like that for a reason.

having too large of a deficit (not eating cals back) may end up in faster weight loss, but some of the higher weight loss would be from muscle.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    You can test out your body to see how it adjusts. I personally wouldnt go under 800 cals net. and that is if you are burning over 1000 calories a day.
    Terrible advice. You shouldn't be approaching 800 net period, regardless of your exercise calories. The average person should be way over 800 daily net. On rare occasions is it ok to be that low? Sure... but as a general practice? no way.
    The way I see it, is if you eat your calories earned, you are over eating and essentially not burning off calories you just ate.

Why not save those calories for a cheat day or when friends want to go out for dinner or save them for when the holidays come around so you can enjoy the turkey dinners or Christmas fudge. Either way good luck on your journey!! :)
    Wrong.
    The way I see it, one size does NOT fit all, whether it's MFP, Weight Watchers, or anything else. Personally, if I'm under my daily net AND hungry, I eat. If I'm at my daily net calories, I don't eat, and if I'm not hungry, I don't eat. It's working for me as of right now.

If that stops working for me, I'll change something. Then again, I've never been that much of a rule-follower.

Edited to add: I think the reason this works for me is that I got fat on nighttime snacking and corn chips/crunchy junk food at lunch. Using MFP to log my intake and exercise makes me accountable for the three beers and two slices of cold pizza as a before-bed snack -- I don't do that so much now, since I don't want to have to log it and 'fess up.
    True, one size does not always fit all. But rules of thumb exist for a reason. And just because something works for you IS NOT reason enough to suggest it to someone else, at least not without some sort of disclaimer.
  • aguilarrumiko
    aguilarrumiko Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • leahbea22
    leahbea22 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Well you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I was not trying to give wrong information. I was trying to say that if you have a goal of 1500 calorie intake and you workout 2000 and eat those calories back then what is the point of working out. I guess that is wrong. And wouldn't that make you go over your calorie limit? That is what I'm trying to say. I'm sorry I miss portrayed my question. I'm just looking for help not attitude!
  • leahbea22
    Options
    Thank you Sharon. I'm really hurt by all this. I was hoping for some support and someone to tell me I am doing it wrong but in a nice way and offer help since I obviously don't understand. I hate regretting things but I regret even saying anything because I've been so embarrassed and humiliated on a site where we are supposed to help people.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Well you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I was not trying to give wrong information. I was trying to say that if you have a goal of 1500 calorie intake and you workout 2000 and eat those calories back then what is the point of working out. I guess that is wrong. And wouldn't that make you go over your calorie limit? That is what I'm trying to say. I'm sorry I miss portrayed my question. I'm just looking for help not attitude!

That wouldn't make you go over, if your MFP goal is 1500 and you burn 2000 from exercise you should eat 3500 (1500+2000) in order to keep your caloric deficit to lose your goal amount of weight.

If you chose to lose 1 lb/week and MFP gave you 1500 calories that means with no exercise you can eat 1500 and lose 1 lb/week, if you exercise you need to eat those back in order to lose 1 lb. if you are given the 1500 your maintenance is 2000, if you burn 600 calories your maintenace on that day is now 2600 (2000+600) as you burn 2000 with no exercise and 2600 with exercise, so to keep your deficit at 500, you need to eat 2100 on the day you burn 600 (1500+600 = 2100 which is the same as 2600-500).

I hope this helps clarify things for you.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Because MFP calculated that 1500 as the number of calories you need hit the WEIGHT LOSS GOAL YOU SET FOR YOURSELF!!! That's why. That 1500 is based on your normal activity level. Working out is extra calories burned BEYOND your normal activity that YOU NEED to replenish in order to lose weight and still be HEALTHY. Yes, you can net 500cal per day and lose a lot of weight. But it's not going to be healthy, you'll lose most of your muscle mass and quite possibly be worse off than when you started.

Losing weight is about a lot more than just what the scale says.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Here is how it works, in a simplified manner:

You tell MFP: I want to lose 1lb per week.

MFP says: Okay, you need to eat X calories per day in order to lose 1lb/week, without exercise.

You do what MFP says, but then you decide to exercise and you burn an additional 400 calories. MFP then says "Hey, I told you to eat X per day to lose 1lb/week without exercise. You exercised, now you're going to lose it too fast and that's not ideal. Now I want you to eat X+400".

Does this make sense?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

If you your goal is 1500 and you burn 2000, then you would need to eat 3500. This would not put your over your calorie goal. Your calorie goal has a built in deficit based on how many calories your body burns over the course of a normal day without exercise. If you work out, your body is burning more than normal so you need to eat more than normal to maintain the same deficit.

Hope that helps you understand :flowerforyou:
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    People disagreeing with you is not negativity, or bashing or hate or any of that crap. You were wrong and people told you that you were. This is the internet. If you don't want anyone to disagree with you ever, then you're not going to like it here.
  • leahbea22
    Options

That wouldn't make you go over, if your MFP goal is 1500 and you burn 2000 from exercise you should eat 3500 (1500+2000) in order to keep your caloric deficit to lose your goal amount of weight.

If you chose to lose 1 lb/week and MFP gave you 1500 calories that means with no exercise you can eat 1500 and lose 1 lb/week, if you exercise you need to eat those back in order to lose 1 lb. if you are given the 1500 your maintenance is 2000, if you burn 600 calories your maintenace on that day is now 2600 (2000+600) as you burn 2000 with no exercise and 2600 with exercise, so to keep your deficit at 500, you need to eat 2100 on the day you burn 600 (1500+600 = 2100 which is the same as 2600-500).

I hope this helps clarify things for you.

Thank you yes it does. Thats all I was looking for was a clarification on what I was doing wrong.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

MFP says: Okay, you need to eat X calories per day in order to lose 1lb/week, without exercise.

You do what MFP says, but then you decide to exercise and you burn an additional 400 calories. MFP then says "Hey, I told you to eat X per day to lose 1lb/week without exercise. You exercised, now you're going to lose it too fast and that's not ideal. Now I want you to eat X+400".

*thumbs up*
  • leahbea22
    Options
    People disagreeing with you is not negativity, or bashing or hate or any of that crap. You were wrong and people told you that you were. This is the internet. If you don't want anyone to disagree with you ever, then you're not going to like it here.

Thats not what I'm saying either. If i'm wrong please tell me i'm wrong, but you don't have to do it in such a hateful way especially when this site is to help motivate people. And yes the way people were saying it is negativity, bashing and hate and all that crap. I'm not getting an attitude I'm simply asking for guidance in a support positive way. What you just said is discouraging and negative.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

Does this make sense?
    I think that's the best/simplest way I've seen it explained. I might just steal it for future net calories posters :D
  • bgrune131
    bgrune131 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I think that explains it perfectly. I was actually pretty confused myself. Now I know :) Thank you!