Calories Eaten vs. Calories Earned Through Exercise

Options

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    People disagreeing with you is not negativity, or bashing or hate or any of that crap. You were wrong and people told you that you were. This is the internet. If you don't want anyone to disagree with you ever, then you're not going to like it here.

Thats not what I'm saying either. If i'm wrong please tell me i'm wrong, but you don't have to do it in such a hateful way especially when this site is to help motivate people. And yes the way people were saying it is negativity, bashing and hate and all that crap. I'm not getting an attitude I'm simply asking for guidance in a support positive way. What you just said is discouraging and negative.

LOL, ok hun. :flowerforyou:
  • leahbea22
    leahbea22 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Well you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I was not trying to give wrong information. I was trying to say that if you have a goal of 1500 calorie intake and you workout 2000 and eat those calories back then what is the point of working out. I guess that is wrong. And wouldn't that make you go over your calorie limit? That is what I'm trying to say. I'm sorry I miss portrayed my question. I'm just looking for help not attitude!

Here is how it works, in a simplified manner:

You tell MFP: I want to lose 1lb per week.

Ok so let me ask. I have a goal of 1500 calories each day. i've already exercised 783 calories for the day so i need to eat 2283 calories for today and i'll still lose weight?

MFP says: Okay, you need to eat X calories per day in order to lose 1lb/week, without exercise.

You do what MFP says, but then you decide to exercise and you burn an additional 400 calories. MFP then says "Hey, I told you to eat X per day to lose 1lb/week without exercise. You exercised, now you're going to lose it too fast and that's not ideal. Now I want you to eat X+400".

Does this make sense?
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Well you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I was not trying to give wrong information. I was trying to say that if you have a goal of 1500 calorie intake and you workout 2000 and eat those calories back then what is the point of working out. I guess that is wrong. And wouldn't that make you go over your calorie limit? That is what I'm trying to say. I'm sorry I miss portrayed my question. I'm just looking for help not attitude!

The point of working out is to be healthy and fit, and occasionally because we want to eat more (or have eaten more and need to balance things out).

Let me give you an example, using some of my own numbers. MFP calculated my BMR (the number of calories my body expends just keeping me alive, breathing, etc) as 1309. In my normal everyday life (outside of exercise) I am entered as lightly active in my daily life outside of formal exercise. MFP tells me I would need 1770 calories to MAINTAIN my current weight. When I tell MPF that I want to lose half a pound a week, it subtracts 250 calories from my maintenance goal and gives me a NET goal of 1520.

Today I ran 6 miles (600 calories) and went to a 90 minute yoga class (220 calories). If I didn't eat those calories back, my NET would be 1386-600-220 = 700. That's way too low and unhealthy (and I'd feel miserable). So MPF adds those calories back into my daily goal. My total calorie burn for the day was 1770 (to maintain my weight) + 820 (exercise) = 2590. So when MPF tells me to eat 1520 (my original target) + 820 (exercise) = 2340, I am STILL 250 calories below what it would take to maintain my current weight TODAY and I will still average half a pound a week of weight loss.
    If i'm wrong please tell me i'm wrong

I told you that you didn't understand how the site worked and that your statement was wrong... I'm not sure how you get "hate, negativity and bashing" out of that.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

Ok so let me ask. I have a goal of 1500 calories each day. i've already exercised 783 calories for the day so i need to eat 2283 calories for today and i'll still lose weight?
    yes
  • leahbea22
    Options

yes

Thank you!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

yes

Thank you!
    You're welcome :) It can be difficult to understand, but it really works and makes sense when put into practice.
  • leahbea22
    Options

The point of working out is to be healthy and fit, and occasionally because we want to eat more (or have eaten more and need to balance things out).

Let me give you an example, using some of my own numbers. MFP calculated my BMR (the number of calories my body expends just keeping me alive, breathing, etc) as 1309. In my normal everyday life (outside of exercise) I am entered as lightly active in my daily life outside of formal exercise. MFP tells me I would need 1770 calories to MAINTAIN my current weight. When I tell MPF that I want to lose half a pound a week, it subtracts 250 calories from my maintenance goal and gives me a NET goal of 1520.

Today I ran 6 miles (600 calories) and went to a 90 minute yoga class (220 calories). If I didn't eat those calories back, my NET would be 1386-600-220 = 700. That's way too low and unhealthy (and I'd feel miserable). So MPF adds those calories back into my daily goal. My total calorie burn for the day was 1770 (to maintain my weight) + 820 (exercise) = 2590. So when MPF tells me to eat 1520 (my original target) + 820 (exercise) = 2340, I am STILL 250 calories below what it would take to maintain my current weight TODAY and I will still average half a pound a week of weight loss.
    If i'm wrong please tell me i'm wrong

I told you that you didn't understand how the site worked and that your statement was wrong... I'm not sure how you get "hate, negativity and bashing" out of that.

Because of the way you said it. Why couldn't all this be explained in the first part?? No i had to defend myself and feel like I was stupid for trying to get myself healthier. Thats where I get it from. if i was just to say "You are wrong, you don't get it." How would you feel? Just saying. Its discouraging when you don't know someones story and they think they are doing it right and then they are told they are wrong and not felt support
  • agthorn
    Options
    Why couldn't all this be explained in the first part??

Because some of us do occasionally get tired of explaining, exhaustively, over and over, why people are wrong when they give advice to the effect of "if you eat back your exercise calories you'll be maintaining, not losing." Also, I never only said "You're wrong, you don't get it." In every single response I explained in some form that your goal deficit is already built into your daily net calorie goal. You can get defensive, or you can learn how the site works from people (not just me, others have responded here too) who understand it.
  • _tiifyjo_
    _tiifyjo_ Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Aside from the negative comments... this thread was actually very helpful. I had noticed that on the days I "cheated" and ate my workout calories I did lose more weight. I just didn't understand how MFP was designed, apparently. I too felt that if I ate my workout calories then I was negating all that effort I had put in. Now that I have a better understanding I can use the site/app better. When I first downloaded the app I didn't realize that there was an entire website and online community to go along with it. Thanks for the help!
  • leahbea22
    Options

Because some of us do occasionally get tired of explaining, exhaustively, over and over, why people are wrong when they give advice to the effect of "if you eat back your exercise calories you'll be maintaining, not losing." Also, I never only said "You're wrong, you don't get it." In every single response I explained in some form that your goal deficit is already built into your daily net calorie goal. You can get defensive, or you can learn how the site works from people (not just me, others have responded here too) who understand it.

Getting tired of explaining?? Then don't try to help. First time commenting and i get ripped apart?? I'm done talking about it won't reply no more. But i'm not going to sit here and let people bring me down because they are perfect and know all and are tired of explaining. How rude was that. Sorry i asked for help Please enjoy your day
  • leahbea22
    Options
    Aside from the negative comments... this thread was actually very helpful. I had noticed that on the days I "cheated" and ate my workout calories I did lose more weight. I just didn't understand how MFP was designed, apparently. I too felt that if I ate my workout calories then I was negating all that effort I had put in. Now that I have a better understanding I can use the site/app better. When I first downloaded the app I didn't realize that there was an entire website and online community to go along with it. Thanks for the help!

I'm glad you could learn from my expense.
  • agthorn
    Options
    Getting tired of explaining?? Then don't try to help.

We have to. Otherwise the incorrect information just perpetuates. I don't even bother telling people to use the search function.

You enjoy your day too. I'm currently enjoying my exercise calories :drinker:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Getting tired of explaining?? Then don't try to help. First time commenting and i get ripped apart?? I'm done talking about it won't reply no more. But i'm not going to sit here and let people bring me down because they are perfect and know all and are tired of explaining. How rude was that. Sorry i asked for help Please enjoy your day

You need to just ignore some people on these boards. I don't know why some people get pleasure from posting responses in a sarcastic manner meant to make others feel small, but there is no shortage of them on these boards. You are correct, if you are so tired of answering a question that you become unable to answer it kindly, then why respond? I wish I knew the answer to that one too.
  • agthorn
    Options
    You are correct, if you are so tired of answering a question that you become unable to answer it kindly, then why respond? I wish I knew the answer to that one too.

As I said, because if people don't correct the wrong information then the wrong information just perpetuates and confuses even more people. I'm not sure how I was unkind. Calling someone names or just saying "wrong" with no other explanation is how I would define unkind. Would "You don't understand how the site works, but *hugs* anyways" be more appropriate in the future? :-)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

You need to just ignore some people on these boards. I don't know why some people get pleasure from posting responses in a sarcastic manner meant to make others feel small, but there is no shortage of them on these boards. You are correct, if you are so tired of answering a question that you become unable to answer it kindly, then why respond? I wish I knew the answer to that one too.

^^ This
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    That would be just as cool as a feature I can add to my car so that it doesn't burn gas when I drive it; only while it sits in the driveway.

<3 This!!
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Ditch the drama and get off the cross. This topic is discussed in so many ways per week that a simple use of the search function could have helped you avoid any of this.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Ditch the drama and get off the cross. This topic is discussed in so many ways per week that a simple use of the search function could have helped you avoid any of this.

That may be true, but so could civil replies.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

That may be true, but so could civil replies.

I don't necessarily disagree. Would you care to provide a rhetorical analysis of the civility of the replies received in the first few pages?
  • leahbea22
    Options

Sorry I don't believe in crosses. But people being kind in the first place could of helped all of this be avoided. You are just one of them apparently