Whole 30 - November Challenge (Closed Group)

Options

Replies

• ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Mary, Vanessa and all our other new Challengers. Welcome back to September and October folks and our beloved Paleo and Primal veterans of the MFP site.

I had 2 good nights sleep in a row, Shiang-Shiang is doing alright at the moment. Larder is full of clean, real food again: Beef marrow bones, sliced and packaged for making bone broth, Bacon, Eggs, grass fed HWC, Coconut cream by Kara in the box (no worries about BPA), free range chicken thighs on sale, local/paleo/gluten-grain free sausage for my stuffed pumpkin recipe, walnuts, carrots, celery and onions.

Learned something new: Hempler's Bacon at my favorite independent grocer sells a 2 lb package of 'pieces and ends' at half the price of their Thick cut bacon. I got twice the bacon for my money and now it will fit in the pan. Win-Win!

Found a better source of local, cage free eggs, too! Found a chinese bbq location that offers a 'salt chicken'. This is brined and has no gluten or grain contamination. NO soy, NO sugar, NO MSG - none of the stuff I worry about if someone else cooks the chicken. It cost me the same as a raw one, was better sourced than the regular grocery and was ready to eat and delicious.

Had a great session training my client which included a lot of hefting my kettlebells and spotting him for his kettlebell routines. Then for lunch, he took my daughter and I back to his place to help him finish off his homemade venison chili for lunch, oh twist my arm. LOL

I got my grocery shopping done walking long and slow and now I'm catching up on cooking, email, laundry and life. So glad to have all of you to come home to at the end of a happy, busy day.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to welcome the newcomers!

ResilientWoman sounds like you had a wonderfully productive day! I look forward too to the conversation on this thread.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Hi to everyone -- especially new people!

I had a good day today. Felt really good nutrition-wise. I am trying to scale back my meal frequency. I used to definitely need to eat at least 5, sometimes 6 times a day. Eating meat again helped bring it down to 4 and eating paleo is helping it be just 3 meals with a wee snack around 4pm. I still don't feel like I could just not eat until 1-2 pm like some people do, but that might be because I wonder if I might have reactive hypoglycemia. Anyway, to me it is just amazing to be able to go from 8 am to 12:30 without a snack!
  • iluv2travel
    Options
    Hi all! I can't believe its Friday again tomorrow. The days are going by fast and Thanksgiving is right around the corner!

I added another goal to my list for this month, to eat fish at least once a week! For dinner tonight I picked up some frozen ahi tuna steak from Trader joes which were marinated in olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon, garlic and red pepper flakes. It was really good and dinner was ready in 20mins. :bigsmile:

ResilientWoman - i've been interested in making my own bone broths. Where do you get your beef marrow bones? I can't seem to find them at my regular grocery store. I like the thick cut bacon ends too! Good price for same quality of bacon.

Welcome to all newcomers :flowerforyou:
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    A lot of this sounds just like me................Suicidal notions, filled with spells of crying, rage and just feeling anxious and angered for no reason. Then I could sleep like 16 hours a day and have problems sleeping at night.

My levels were at an 8 and now have made it to 17. My doctor told me this is the cause of the muscle, bone and joint aches and pains and also why my weight loss is almost at a complete halt again.
    Hey everyone. I am here and reading mostly.

I am suffering from severe depression from the Vitamin D deficiency and had some severe heart palpitations. My actions, words and thoughts yesterday were not leading by example and for that I apologize.

I am feeling a little bit better today and hopefully will get to feeling much better day by day. I am going to just have to take it one day at a time.

When I was first diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency, on a scale of 33-100 being 'clinically normal' but 60-80 being a minimum according to the latest research for avoiding mood related problems from brain dysfunction and cancer risk, I was at a 4. A freaking 4 can cause *serious* brain function issues. I was depressed to the point of suicidal ideations over nothing. I was frequently anxious and had heart palpitations. The majority of physicians (endocrinologists, internal medicine doctors, neurologists, behavioral health, etc.) were sure that I was depressed and didn't attribute it to stomach or GERD.

It was all created by chemical imbalance due to poor nutrition. I had everything to live for, had spent years in therapy and this wasn't something therapy could make a dent in. Even though I was eating clean (as I understood it pre-Primal), nothing I had done repaired the years of damage to my digestion. The only thing that would have worked was correcting the deficiency. My physician didn't bother to explain this to me. Perhaps he didn't understand. He put me on megadoses of Vitamin D and I didn't get any better. They say it takes time when in truth, it doesn't take time it takes the *ability to digest* your food and your supplements which we often lose when eating and living according to the CW.

I needed 8 tablets of Betaine HCL to replace missing stomach acid *each time I ate* a meal, the result of eating grains and processed foods. I also used ACV, herbal bitters, digestive enzymes and DGL to heal my entire digestive system. Now my stomach is more hearty and is beginning to make its own stomach acid but still needs the HCL supplement for some meals or when I am under a lot of stress. Eventually, I hope to heal out of the need for any of the supplements but am content to be in such better shape. I had to quit eating all plants and stick to lots of fats and moderate proteins initially. After 60 days of taking the HCL, my body began to absorb the Vitamin D efficiently and I became able to eat cooked plants and some berries. Now I can also manage some raw foods on a hot day when I am very active. So if I feel like a salad, I eat one. If vegetables don't appeal, I stick to fat, meat, bone broths, herbal teas, coffee & chicory, etc. The chicory has inulin, a fiber that is a prebiotic and is helpful along with coconut oil for healing guts.

Now instead of struggling to get my blood levels up to 60 (this was true for 2 1/2 years of mega dose therapy from 2009 until September 2011), I am have a healthy Vitamin D blood level of 110. This is fine as far as I am concerned, especially going into Fall/Winter here in Seattle.

The mood issues didn't disappear until I got my blood levels above 65. I experienced uncontrollable sobbing and rages while I was deficient.

Now even in grief, I am not having mood issues. I am safe, healthy and more resilient than ever. Life is enjoyable and hope abounds. There is no way that I could have gotten to this place of wellness without the Betaine HCL to help my body utilize the Vitamin D.

YMMV
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Hi all! I can't believe its Friday again tomorrow. The days are going by fast and Thanksgiving is right around the corner!

I added another goal to my list for this month, to eat fish at least once a week! For dinner tonight I picked up some frozen ahi tuna steak from Trader joes which were marinated in olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon, garlic and red pepper flakes. It was really good and dinner was ready in 20mins. :bigsmile:

ResilientWoman - i've been interested in making my own bone broths. Where do you get your beef marrow bones? I can't seem to find them at my regular grocery store. I like the thick cut bacon ends too! Good price for same quality of bacon.

Welcome to all newcomers :flowerforyou:
    I've been trying to eat fish 1-3x/week. While I would love to do sushi or ahi tuna steaks more regularly, I've also ordered some canned albacore tuna from Wild Planet on Amazon.com. High omega-3, low mercury, sustainably caught, and BPA-free cans. It is more expensive than a lot of other canned tuna, but less expensive than fresh a couple times a week. Plus, it is so good tasty that I just drizzle some olive oil on it, crack some pepper over it, and eat it out of the can.
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    @Grokette, I'm sorry that you're having such difficulty. I have heard that getting vitamin D levels up can be a slow process. What sort of supplement are you taking, if any?
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    welcome back to alexa....

off to a weekend in La. :) Seafood, skating, and fun. Behaive everyone! Stay warm and don't overeat. :):drinker: Packing my egg white protein and a salad.
  • alexaransome
    alexaransome Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys, I'm keen to join. I joined the October group, but wasn't very well prepared for adopting a new approach straight away. Over the last month I have educated myself thanks to all the wonderful information people posted in the October forum, Marks daily apple, the dietdoctor.com/LCHF (though not strictly paleo/primal) and Dr. Eades fab blog just to name a few.

I notice the effect that winter time has on my mood, and love the suggestion by Mark Sisson to try to get out into the sunshine as much as possible and am really trying to. Normally I eat my lunch at my desk whilst working. For the last 2 weeks I have made an effort get out at lunch, even if just to sit outside for a few minutes and enjoy the sunshine.

Since lowing my carb intake (way before learning about Paleo/primal) I noticed an improvement in my mood and the quality of my sleep, which has just got better as I am stricter with the foods I allow into my diet.

Like others on here, I know that there may be days when I struggle, and maybe even give in to temptation, but having these forums will be a great help.

Good luck everyone (stats to follow if membership accepted :-P )

Lexy
  • wxkris
    wxkris Posts: 57
    Options
    Anyway, to me it is just amazing to be able to go from 8 am to 12:30 without a snack!

I'm definitely the same way. I was trained to eat like every 2 hours, but I'm realizing how important it is for my body to have enough time to process the food before shoving some more in...especially since it doesn't burn up as quickly as grains do. I still need my afternoon snack, maybe to kick up my energy levels a bit. But I definitely find it a challenge, but easier, to skip the mid-morning snack.
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Hi Alexa, I am noticing an improvement in my mood already. Not sure about energy levels yet. Welcome and will be looking forward to the journey with you.

Grokette, I am sorry I did not realize you were having such a difficult time, and really did not realize that vitamin D deficiency could be so HORRIBLE. Will be thinking about you and certainly hope your levels continue to improve.

It is a rainy day here in the south-land and I guess cleaning house will be a big activity today. Off work so must keep myself amused somewhat. Hope everyone has a great day and weekend coming up.
    Mary
  • wxkris
    Options
    Hey guys - so I need some recipe help. Next weekend I'm celebrating my birthday, and I want to make a really good (preferably chocolate) birthday cake. I thought about ordering from White Lion Baking Co., but their cake mixes are a bit expensive for my taste. Does anyone have a good recipe? Many thanks!!
  • alexaransome
    alexaransome Posts: 16 Member
    Options
  • wxkris
    Options
    Thanks!
  • jgerlach
    jgerlach Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful! My whole family did the whole30 challenge for the month of October and loved it so much, we took 2 days off and have started again until Thanksgiving. We love the way we feel, my husband lost 15 pounds in 30 days, and my 8 year old diabetic son's blood sugar numbers are completely under control for the first time ever. Whole30 has been amazing for us. I actually documented our journey to keep us accountable and help motivate other families to jump on board as well. My website is www.wholefamilystrong.com or you can like my facebook page at Whole Family. Keep up the good work guys! We're right there with you.
  • justamyagain
    justamyagain Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all! I am loving the rain in SoCal this morning.

I am finally starting to feel better after my candy binge on Halloween. Ugh. I will not forget that awful feeling anytime soon. Sugar is definitely not my friend.

I hope everyone is having a great morning.
  • Grokette
    Options
    @Grokette, I'm sorry that you're having such difficulty. I have heard that getting vitamin D levels up can be a slow process. What sort of supplement are you taking, if any?

I am taking 10,000 IU of Vitamin D3 made by Ortho Molecular Labs and I am going to start taking magnesium at night. I had a crying spell over night when I couldn't get to sleep due to the aches and pains in my hips and legs.

I want to join a crossfit WOD but without energy I don't want to waste the money. :(
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Good morning folks. I woke up this morning with much smoother skin. It's kind of crazy how inflammation shows up on my face. It's not so much that I get bad acne (though I did have a breakout), but what happens is that my face gets a lot redder and it gets this sort of bumpy feeling -- like I could exfoliate it with a sandblaster. I noticed that when I first went fairly strictly paleo, I woke up in the morning without feeling like I was wearing a gross mask of dead skin over a red face. Then I started getting less and less strict and the mask came back.

Now, again, a week into being strict again, I am seeing the mask dissipate.

So, now I wonder the problem is the dairy, the gluten, or the wine. Probably all three.
  • Grokette
    Options
    This is wonderful! My whole family did the whole30 challenge for the month of October and loved it so much, we took 2 days off and have started again until Thanksgiving. We love the way we feel, my husband lost 15 pounds in 30 days, and my 8 year old diabetic son's blood sugar numbers are completely under control for the first time ever. Whole30 has been amazing for us. I actually documented our journey to keep us accountable and help motivate other families to jump on board as well. My website is www.wholefamilystrong.com or you can like my facebook page at Whole Family. Keep up the good work guys! We're right there with you.

This story right here is awesome and further testament to how a controlled carb and all natural lifestyle is not unhealthy for kids like that other thread.....................
This discussion has been closed.