Skipping Breakfast

Options
I'm a student and tend to make the choice, especially in early mornings, to sacrifice breakfast for more time sleeping :P
Now I know its bad, but just how much does skipping breakfast affect weight loss?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm a student and tend to make the choice, especially in early mornings, to sacrifice breakfast for more time sleeping :P
    Now I know its bad, but just how much does skipping breakfast affect weight loss?

Didn't affect mine at all.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

it is not bad and it has no bearing on weight loss, other than the fact some my find it easier to control portions if they eat breakfast
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Its not bad to skip breakfast :] Has no effect on you metabolic rate
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, I grab a bar of some type to eat on the way to class or in class. I like fiber one plus, granola, granola and yogurt, special K bars. They're all good in a pinch. I usually keep 3-4 in my backpack for times when I need a quick snack
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i dont know about everyone...but when i started eating breakfast again after not doing it for years, i lost 10 lbs fairly quickly (didnt change anything else). i didnt really think about it at the time, but it may have been because i was cutting back on portions during the day because i wasnt as hungry.
  • Dr_Farru
    Dr_Farru Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If I eat breakfast, my metabolism goes too high and I feel hungry throughout the day and need to eat this or that :-( all day long!
    I never eat breakfast
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    It's your caloric intake throughout the day that matters - how you spread that out doesn't.
    The breakfast skipping and late night snacking don't matter as long as you don't exceed your daily calories...
    Some people work 3rd shift - their breakfast is your early dinner :)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It's not bad! :)
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Personally, I feel that breakfast is really important and if you can't sit down to a real meal in the morning, at least bring a protein bar or something to eat during class. The majority of the weight that I lost happened when I started eating breakfast consistently in the morning... I'm not sure if it was because my metabolism was started earlier every day or if it just helped me to eat less later on because I wasn't as hungry, but I definitely give having breakfast alot of credit.

And by "breakfast", I mean my first meal of the day. I try to eat within 1 hour of waking up, no matter what time that is.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I feel better if I eat breakfast, and I think if I didn't eat then I would be too hungry later and overeat to compensate. But that's just me. If it works for you, then don't worry about it. There's nothing magic about eating in the morning.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    Personally, I feel that breakfast is really important and if you can't sit down to a real meal in the morning, at least bring a protein bar or something to eat during class. The majority of the weight that I lost happened when I started eating breakfast consistently in the morning... I'm not sure if it was because my metabolism was started earlier every day or if it just helped me to eat less later on because I wasn't as hungry, but I definitely give having breakfast alot of credit.
    Your metabolism doesn't need to be started in the morning. If your metabolism stops at night then you have a big problem.
  • CrystalMarie253
    Options
    I think what it effects most when it comes to skipping breakfast is not keeping your metabolism going. If you just skip breakfast once in a while I wouldn't worry about it too much. From everything I've read/ seen, it's best to eat at least some protein in the morning. If you like yogurt, try the chobani greek yogurt. It's got like 14 grams of protein and like 140 calories. If I'm running late sometimes I just grab one of those. It's better than eating nothing the way I see it, and I think it tastes great :)
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It may not affect your weight loss but it affects your heart. Overnight, the platelets get sticky and the action of eating unsticks them. You will need to look this up to get the correct terminology but this is the reason why breakfast is the most important meal of your day.
    Maybe you could just grab a banana, apple or protein bar, just something small and you won't have to sacrifice sleep if you eat it in the car or while you are getting ready in the morning. I eat an apple on the way to work because I can't stomach anything else until later in the morning.
  • aj_gettingfit
    Options
    According to Bob Harper (from biggest loser) skipping breakfast is really bad for your metabolism. I believe you are supposed to try and eat fiber/protein to keep you steady all day long. That being said I hardly eat breakfast anymore but I'm also not losing weight anymore either.
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism doesn't need to be started in the morning. If your metabolism stops at night then you have a big problem.

I meant that you need to start fueling your body sooner than later to keep your metabolism running higher... of course your metabolism doesn't STOP at night.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    i dont know about everyone...but when i started eating breakfast again after not doing it for years, i lost 10 lbs fairly quickly (didnt change anything else). i didnt really think about it at the time, but it may have been because i was cutting back on portions during the day because i wasnt as hungry.

You do realize that your statements contradict each other. You didn't add breakfast but make no other changes, you added breakfast and ate less throughout the day.

If eating breakfast helps you to eat less overall then certainly it will helpful, but so would eating a late night snack if it helps you eat less overall. It is the eating less overall that makes the difference.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

I meant that you need to start fueling your body sooner than later...

correlation=/= causation

Meal timing is irrelevant
  • Theory13
    Theory13 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I usually always try to eat breakfast because I've always heard that it jump starts your metabolism. I do skip it however on days when I know I'm going to have higher calorie meals (i.e. going out to eat for lunch or dinner). I'm a late night muncher also so I usually make sure that I save up some extra calories so that I can have a snack at night. I have never found that eating late at night had any affect on me losing weight (contrary to popular belief) as long as I stayed within my calorie limit for the day and I lost 80 pounds at that time.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    I meant that you need to start fueling your body sooner than later...
    Say what you mean then, because that's a totally different thing than what you actually said. And while you're at it, explain why it's better. When you eat dinner that fuels your body for the next day, doesn't it? Or does it all magically turn to fat at midnight?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    According to Bob Harper (from biggest loser) skipping breakfast is really bad for your metabolism. I believe you are supposed to try and eat fiber/protein to keep you steady all day long. That being said I hardly eat breakfast anymore but I'm also not losing weight anymore either.

correlation =/= causation and i'd be hesitant to put a lot of stock into any nutritional advice from bob or jillian