Any Triathletes, Cyclist, Runners or Swimmers

Options
2»

Replies

• staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your TRI! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Way to go! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

I've been running long distance for about 7-8 years. Since my weight loss of 50lbs this past year, I have become very competitve. Last weekend's half marathon, I placed 1st in my age division with a finishing time of 1:42.

I have completed two Century rides this year, too.

I love it!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Doing half marathons is every state of the Union. I've only done one full marathon and one sprint triathlon, but plan to do more of both.
  • Juliealittle
    Juliealittle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Like another on this thread, I train with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training (TNT). They have great coaches, fun teammates and solid training plans so you can train safely and raise money for LLS at the same time.

Last summer I did a half marathon and in September I did a century bike ride with them as well. Next June, I will be doing my first triathlon. I haven't been swimming for more years than I can count, so that will be my biggest challenge. But with TNT, they have swim coaches and will give you access to a pool for practice.

As far as the question about the bike...when I started biking last summer, a friend advised me to buy the best bike I could afford from a good bike shop and make sure that they fit it for you. There are so many adjustments to a bike to make sure that it fits your specific body. You can easily spend $900-$2000 on the bike alone and then there's so many accessories/clothes/etc. after that. I never had a clue that biking would be so expensive.

My advice for any of these endurance sports is to join a training team. They can give you advice and make your training fun at the same time. It's so motivating to train with others!
  • kbwdad
    kbwdad Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Lots of good replys here.

My traing is tight. Swimming is the most difficult, Our cities does have pools and I try to at least twice a week to train at the pool which basically consist of 1 miles worth of laps, using kickboards, swim bouy's and trying to perfect my stroke. We have lots of lakes and when I can since I do need a partner to keep an eye on me, usually my fantastic wife, I train in them as well.

I run at leat three days a week and bike two days. On weekends I do longer rides and run and at least one brick a week.

There is a book called the "Time Crunched Triathlete" that I have read and it has some good tips. I also do not have small children at home anymore and do have more time. Most of all I have my biggest fan, my wife who supports me.

I started Tri's with a mountain bike, regular running and swimming gear. After I was hooked I started investing in better gear one piece at a time. Yes it gets expensive but what hobby doesn't.

It was great hearing from everyone.