Do you buy new clothes as you're losing?

Options
2»

Replies

Options
    I use clothes as a reward. So, for example, I bought a pair of jeans on day 60 of my turbofire schedule, because my old jeans were falling off of me. I bought some cheap ones from Charlotte Rusee for 22 dollars, but I know places like F21 sell jeans for 10 dollars. I only need less than 10 garments to hold me over the week so I don't see a big issue in buying new clothes. I think the easiest thing to do is to 1) cut down on the number of garments you 'need' (aka figure out the lowest number of clothes you need to get through your week) and 2) replace those garments at a reasonable price. For me, clothes that I cannot live without are: 1 pull over navy sweater, 1 pair of black jeans, 1 coat, 1 black dress, 1 black skirt, and a few generic shirts to wear underneath my navy sweater. To me, that's not a huge investment--especially if you buy cheaper materials that wear out faster (which is just as well if you believe you'll be dropping a lot more weight). You can buy an acrylic sweater for around 20 dollars and a polyester coat for 50ish dollars. Try out American Apparel for dresses and skirts as they have a wide variety at a reasonable cost (40ish dollars) You can even buy a non-wool suit for as little as 100 dollars. I would estimate replenishing a well-rounded wardrobe shouldn't cost more than 200-300 dollars as long as you keep the number of clothes necessary for a good wardrobe a minimum (think less than 10 pieces).
  • KelleFlr
    KelleFlr Posts: 142
    Options
    That is where I am at with my size 18/20 shirts.... I feel so frumpy. I am not used to the fit of the 14/16 though. Its more 'fitted' and i was so used to hiding the fat with big clothes. I even have some 22 shirts from a couple years ago when I was in a 20 but would get bigger to hide the rolls.
    I agree about needing something that fits, if it's baggy I feel depressed. Thrift shops are a great idea. And to have just a few pieces for now that fit.
    I am waiting for a new wardrobe when I get to the size (10 hopefully) that is right for me and stay there ...
    Good luck
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Goodwill! I just bought a bunch of jeans and shirts for only $30. Its a great place to get some "transition" clothes. And I found some nice jeans!
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Goodwill! I just bought a bunch of jeans and shirts for only $30. Its a great place to get some "transition" clothes. And I found some nice jeans!

And now that I have form fitting clothes, I feel so much better about myself than wearing the big frumpy clothes.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Goodwill!! I found some cute Zana Di jeans for $5!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Its funny all these years of dieting I have clothes in different sizes so I don't buy anything new, all the clothes that I do buy are basic jeans, t shirts etc. in S/M/L But it will be fun to get something new if I stay my goal size for at least a yr
  • Bdde
    Bdde Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I buy key pieces like a cute belt, a nice fitted coat, or knee high boots! these are things that really make a fall/winter outfit and im loving it!
  • kantone999
    Options
    Tops, no. Dress pants (meaning expensive), I wait 'til I go down 2 sizes and take them to be altered. If you look around, you can find a good tailor with volume discounts. Mine takes in pants for $8/pair becasue I bring her all of them at once. The regular price is only $12 or 14, depending on whether they have pockets or not. When I've had them taken in twice, I treat myself to new clothes.
  • chuluotababe
    Options
    My friend (who attends WW meetings) told me that **on average** you drop one size for every 10 lbs you lose. I'm at the 20 lb mark so I went to buy a few new things. I even bought the exact same pair of black pants and yep - I was down from an 8 to a 4. Maybe you could buy transition clothes every 2 sizes? This will help to cut down on the expense a little. And shopping at goodwill and consignment shops are also great ideas. You won't be in these clothes for long. When you hit your goal definitely splurge a little though. Good luck and congrats on your weight loss!
  • celticcateyes
    celticcateyes Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I have been wondering this myself. I had previously been going to the Goodwill but now I am just super busy with school and work, so I haven't had the time to browse.

My husband and I are going to an Old Navy outlet this weekend to get some basics before a research conference trip.
    I told my family to get my Target and Wal-mart gift cards for Christmas so that I can buy some cheap in-between items.

Another suggestion someone else gave me was to grab a cute belt or two and put that over my current clothes. I may do that until December/January to hold on a little longer to a couple of my nicer conference/work friendly dresses.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I go shopping in my closet...I've saved all my clothes from when I was thinner. Can't wait to be able to fit them all again!!
  • 24man
    24man Posts: 58
    Options
    I have a lot of pants sizes 32, 34 (most) and 36. I never throw them out. I guess because I don't want to buy new clothes if I revert back to the sizes. My 36s now are way too big and the 34s fit quite comfortably and I can fit into 32s now but not quite comfortable yet. I'm taking my 36s out of the rotation but do I throw them away? By keeping them do you think I'm giving myself permission to put on another 20-30 lbs? Like everyone, I always say "never again", but I've lots the weight from >200 to 160 2-3 times. I hope I never get back to over 200 again. And btw, why does it take getting 40 lbs overweight before I do anything about it? Maybe 160-165 will be too hard to maintain and I should shoot for 170. I'm rambling now. Time to go for a run : )
  • amandal00
    amandal00 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've been making do with just the bare minimum. I currently have 1 pair of jeans that fit and 4-5 shirts I can wear, two of the shirts actually fit. I'm always pleasantly surprised at how much better I look when I have clothes that actually fit.
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    One word~ CONSIGNMENT!

Find a good consignment shop in your area. Not only can you get name-brand clothing very reasonably, but you can sell the clothes that are falling off of you. I just went to my fav shop today and here was my take: American Eagle winter coat with hood: $28.50 and Levi's jeans: $10.50. I had $38.50 in my "bank" at the shop from prior sells...you do the math : D
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Some clothes last longer than others - some shirts I am still wearing but my pants were a lost cause eventually.

I hit the clearance racks and TJ maxx and bought the absolute bare minimum to get by. 2 pairs of jeans, 3 pairs of work pants.

Warning on the work pants - go ahead and buy those ones that are just a bit snug. I did even though I was very hesitant too (Because tight pants give you a muffin top and look and feel awful after you're used to loose ones) and they're already falling off me so that's really annoying.

I got pants at the limited clearance rack for 16 dollars each and jeans at TJ Maxx for more ...but they were Lucky Brand Jeans! 25 dollars! who can pass that up?
  • JasonSwetland
    JasonSwetland Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I buy new pants from Savers, goodwill, consignment and off discount racks NLY. I plan on loosing alot more. I plan on giving my fat clothes away with a blessing that the recipient will not need them long and loose weight themselves. Excep my damned suits. They cost to much so i will hire a tailor to take them in.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I have to buy new clothes as I loose because I have to feel good about myself to stay motivated. I am careful about not spending a lot and I buy the minimum number of pieces I can get away with but I can't stand wearing clothes that are way too big.