Are there still people like this?

Options

Replies

• ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I know it's not necessarily rational, but I am MORE nervous of breeds that could do serious damage than those that are less physically able to. I'm a dog owner, and completely agree that it's the owner, not the dog. But an abused pit bull can do a lot more damage to me than an abused chihuahua!

I HATE chihuahuas! I honestly know more people attacked by them as a child then bigger dogs. Although to be fair I do know one that is fine with kids squishing it and pulling it's fur

I think there is also a level of breading some dogs are just nuts! I think pit bull attacks are over published where as other breads don't make the news OR will be called a pit bull when its not
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    It's ridiculous to me that I have to carry documentation that my dog is a Black & Tan Coonhound because people are scared of rottweilers and if they think he's one they freak out.

People have an archaic understanding of dogs. They even post on this site about wanting a specific breed when getting a new puppy. Makes me sad.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    okay, with shows like pit boss and pitbulls and parolees, not to mention the canine bite stats, are there really still people that are afraid of any bully type dog? (including but not limited to cane corsos, presa canarios, bull terriors, bull mastiffs, staffordshire terriers, black mouth currs, american bulldogs, and american pitbull terriers) i have been nervous around certain dogs, but not whole breeds. Seems kind of silly, especially with all the breed education resources out there. Just wondering :)

Yes of course there is. Some people who have been attacked by a dog (even as a child) live their whole lives being afraid of dogs .. ANY type of dog. It can be traumatizing to the point of being phobic.

Then there are people who just simply don't like dogs .. period, for what ever reason. We have friends who are 'farmers' .. born and raised .. and claim that they don't care for dogs (or cats) like we do, because animals (of any size or shape) were raised like stock. Dogs and even cats had a purpose on the farm .. and were never 'pets'. These animals were kept outside winter and summer. During the winter, the only warmth they got is if they found it on their own, in the barn .. if they could get in. Were never let in the house...Heaven Forbid! If they died due to the cold .. no big deal, they could be replaced.

Makes me sad and even angry to just think about it. People with that attitude just don't get it...and certainly don't have a clue as to what they missed.

That just seems so heartless .. even for farmers.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    We are bully breed lovers.....we have an American Bulldog, Boxer, and our newest addition....a pit bull puppy..(whom is in the process of getting his Canine Good Citizenship) and will have it after his first birthday (they can't take the test before then).

Any dog of any breed can be vicious, its the owners responsibility to raise a well socialized and behaved dog. Sadly, not everyone does that.

We are raising our 3 sons (ages 4 and under) with these big dogs, and teaching both dog and child to respect each other and their own space.
  • OdinsHarryMom
    Options
    No doubt that it is the owners who make the dog what it is. Whether they mistreat the dog or allow someone else to do the dirty deeds. I own a dog of the miniature, flighty, quick to nip variety. Have owned this type of dog all my adult life. I pleases me when folks say they have never seen this breed so laid back & friendly. No one is allowed to mistreat my pet, not even my young grandchildren, intentionally or not. Pets should be considered an extension of our best self: caring & loving.
    However, it is the wise person who hangs back when introduced to a new animal. Be aware anything (even you and me) will attack if provoked long enough. Self preservation is an inborn quality.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people sho WAS phobic about dogs most of my life. I had to get over it to a degree. I am not comfortable, really comfortable around any dog. I truly fear little dogs as I have only come across little dog owners who say things like "even if fifi bit you she is so tiny it wouldn't "hurt" you....also the little dog owners I know think they are entitled to bring their little dogs places that a big dog would never be allowed. I am uncomfortable around big dogs because all I see is their giant heads....and think this animal could eat me...I am however much more comfortable around big dogs as the big dogs I have to be around are very well trained and loved...but I won't be in the room with the dog without the owners....now pits...well they have a look in their eyes that gives me chills and have an energy level (mind you the ones I have had the displeasure of being around) that made me anxious. It is also quite easy to find statistics that show that pits are indeed more prone to attack unprovoked. It only took a moment of googling to find such statistics. People aren't silly for being aware of stats and being afraid of any dog.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    A dog learns from it's owner!

They can be trained to sit, lay, shake or any other worthless trick you want to show it emoticon-animal-020.gif[/url]

You can let it just run around with no guidance or training( These dogs are usually called dumb when they're really not) emoticon-animal-028.gif[/url]

You can also train them to be guard dogs emoticon-animal-064.gif[/url]

Then there are those scum that train them to fight and it makes sheeple believe all dogs of a certain breed are like the one being taught to fight.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I was shot at by a human once before. But I am not terrified of all humans because one @$$ hole attacked me. That would be ignorant of me.

Yes, but if you were in a similar situation, and a similar looking person assumed a similar stance as your attacker prior to being shot at, then I'm sure your gut level reaction of fear would kick in. That's called being human, not being silly.

On a conceptual level I understand that not all dogs are evil, adn that not all pitts are evil, BUT that doesn't change my gut reaction to seeing one on the loose charging down the street.

I trust my gut, it's saved my bacon more than once.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Me! As someone who was attacked by a pittbull a few years ago (without provocation)....I'm terrified.

just pit bulls or all dogs?

Mainly pitt bulls... but when I see a dog off it's leash running around and I don't know it, I get scared. I think it's a normal reaction.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm cautious of all loose dogs, but unafraid unless I see aggressive body language. The other day while out running, a overly joyous red nose pit jumped his 4' fence to say hello to me. So I stopped, said hello, told him he was a good doggie, and he jumped back in his yard. Told him to stay, walked until I was a decent distance away and he was no longer interested in me, and started jogging again. Someone afraid of dogs might have ran and been chased, because that's what dogs do. Good dogs, bad dogs. They like to herd, play and/or hunt.

Similarly, there was a day when an easily 150 lb. Rottie was loose in front of his house while running. Same scenario. Slowed to a walk, said a few words, kept moving and only started running when I knew I wasn't going to be followed. No problems. He just wagged his stump at me, gave me a sniff and stayed put.

On the way back from that run, I saw an apricot Toy Poodle someone was walking on a retractable leash and the owner was obviously not in control of the dog. Couldn't have been more than 12 pounds, maybe less... about the size of a cat.

I crossed the street to avoid them. :laugh:
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I was attacked by two large dogs when I was a kid, walking home from school one day. I dont know what kind they were...I was too busy screaming to notice (aye!) All I know is I heard a woman call sometihng out, the dogs got off of me and I took off running.

I was nervous around dogs for years, but so often while I was scared, I still noticed the sweet face and one day I just fell for it and now love big dogs. Small dogs however scare the heck out of me!!!

My daughter was also attacked by a dog at a friends house when she was 2... she ended up in surgery and went through two bouts of plastic surgery on her face...she didnt like that particular dog anymore, but never stopped loving dogs as a whole.

I guess its just how as individuals, we handle fear and stressful situations. Like as a kid, I just didnt walk down the street I was attacked on anymore, and for kiddo, she was fine with not ever seeing that dog again that hurt her. But neither of us held it against all dogs, how are they to know what happened to us? They just wanna make a friend and play! =)
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    i don't discriminate. i'm scared of all dogs

:laugh:
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I get nervous around pitbulls and doberman pinchers.

Not because of the dog itself, but because unfortunately a lot of mean people choose these dogs as pets.
  • magdamccraven
    magdamccraven Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    We have a lot of dog fighters in our area. The pound is overrun with Pits that are put down because they are intentionally bred to be aggressive.

Responsible breeders cull animals that are unreasonably aggressive by sterilizing them or sad as it is euthanizing them. Unfortunately that trait is encouraged in fighting animals.

I must admit that when I see a loose Pit in the area, I am cautious. If I know the dog I am not afraid. I have owned several Pit Bulls and 2 beautiful Doberman as well as 2 German Shepherds. None of them were mean but they were purchased from breeders who were reliable.

I think the comment about Pit vs. Chihuahua makes sense. Any dog might be aggressive but a large one might do serious damage while a little one unless it gets you in the face will only do minimal damage if it even succeeds in breaking the skin.

I have been bitten by a dog 3 times. 2 were Dachshunds and 1 was a Chihuahua.

I'll stop now because I'm hungry and I'm rambling.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    We have a lot of dog fighters in our area. The pound is overrun with Pits that are put down because they are intentionally bred to be aggressive.

Responsible breeders cull animals that are unreasonably aggressive by sterilizing them or sad as it is euthanizing them. Unfortunately that trait is encouraged in fighting animals.

I must admit that when I see a loose Pit in the area, I am cautious. If I know the dog I am not afraid. I have owned several Pit Bulls and 2 beautiful Doberman as well as 2 German Shepherds. None of them were mean but they were purchased from breeders who were reliable.

I think the comment about Pit vs. Chihuahua makes sense. Any dog might be aggressive but a large one might do serious damage while a little one unless it gets you in the face will only do minimal damage if it even succeeds in breaking the skin.

I have been bitten by a dog 3 times. 2 were Dachshunds and 1 was a Chihuahua.

I'll stop now because I'm hungry and I'm rambling.

I am curious. Are you talking about legal dog fighting? I had the impression that dog fighting was illegal pretty much everywhere now. How do they get away with it? Any idea about what is being done to eradicate it?
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I owned two Akitas, did my best to socialize them, spent lots of time training them from puppies throughout their lives, and was a good parent. Still, I wouldn't blame any other person walking any dog within sight for being terrified. Despite all efforts, the dog-aggression in these two dogs (part of their breed description) was not going anywhere. I will say that when they were less than a year old, they could play with other dogs (even several at a time) until one of them growled, mouthed, or bit another one. At that point, the Akitas would get into it with all of them. Couldn't resist a fight, even if it wasn't their fight to begin with. Because of my own experience owning Akitas, I do get a little nervous when I see one if I'm walking my current dog (not for myself, but for my dog).

I will say that I have seen Akitas at dog shows manage themselves pretty well, though. I think they get A LOT of experience around other strange dogs, though. I still believe that Akitas are the the most awesome dog breed: Beautiful, majestic, strong, loyal...

All of that being said, I've already decided that my next dog will be a pit bull.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I am curious. Are you talking about legal dog fighting? I had the impression that dog fighting was illegal pretty much everywhere now. How do they get away with it? Any idea about what is being done to eradicate it?

The problem is that law-breakers don't care that they're breaking the law. They only care if they're caught, but then they just get a slap on the wrist.

I was attacked by a GSD when I was about 9. The next day, I visited the dog and gave him a biscuit. The same couple had another GSD who attacked my sister 12 years earlier when SHE was about 9. They were horrible people who should have never owned a dog... in fact, the husband was later arrested for performing what he called a "mercy killing" on his sister. I firmly believe assisted suicide should be legal, but stabbing your sister in the heart with an icepick is NOT a mercy killing!!!!
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    My mom has a pit bull mix that's been in the family for over a decade, and he's the sweetest dog ever...of course, we love him and care for him and therefore he didn't grow up and become a mean "bully dog."

I was shot at by a human once before. But I am not terrified of all humans because one @$$ hole attacked me. That would be ignorant of me.

I disagree that it would be 'ignorant' to be scared of all humans after you were shot at. After I was attacked, unprovoked, by a complete stranger I suffered with terrible panic attacks around ANYONE I didn't know, and ended up agoraphobic, something which I am only now just recovering from. Different people react to things in different ways.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,342 Member
    Options
    Me! As someone who was attacked by a pittbull a few years ago (without provocation)....I'm terrified.
    you don't think it's absurd to judge a whole breed by the actions of one dog?
    There's a word for this...just can't quite think of it...

Maybe PHOBIA? :)

Yeah, after somebody gets mauled and/or traumatized by any breed of dog, they're not likely to stop and ask for ID from every subsequent dog they encounter. They'll probably steer waaayclear of every 4-legged canine, regardless of breed, in the future.

A phobia is* defined as an "irrational fear" after all.