Public or Private school?

ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
Growing up I went to public school until I got into high school where I then went to a private school. I was getting straight A's in pubic school, but once I hit private school, I dropped to B's. I know I didn't get dumber and I wasn't doing drugs, so I chalked it up to private school being more challenging and having higher standards. I also noticed in private school that practically everyone wanted to do good, whereas in public school there were students who really didn't care. Again that was just my observation and may not be factual.

So my wife and I are contemplating sending our daughter to a private school once she hits high school. The teachers have already suggested that she become a GATE student, so this may have an influence in our decision.

If money was not an issue, would you choose to send your child to private school or keep them in public school?

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Private school.

The mind is a terrible thing to waste.
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,141 Member
    My kids go to private...this decision was based on the fact that we wanted them to be able to say the word "God" without getting in trouble, etc. Their standards/grading school is very strict - but they work hard for those grades and that hard work will pay off for when or if they decided to go to college some day.

We also have smaller classroom sizes... grades are combined (1st and 2nd grade are in one room for example) and there are only 10 in our 1st grader's grade (20 kids total). We love the more 1 on 1 attention they get.

Good luck with your decision!
  • I'm a homeschooling mom here! So I vote...whatever works best for your family. Weigh all the options and see which one will work best for your family and child!

Good luck! It's a tough choice/decision to make.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    If money weren't an issue, definitely private school for my kids.

I've got a lot of personal issues with public schools starting from the time I moved to this Bass Ackwards state of NC...
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    No idea about in America, but in Australia generally you'll get a MUCH better education in the public system. This is based on the average rate of drop outs and scores in the HSC (Higher School Certificate).

Not to mention most private schools here are religious so a lot of class time is used for bible studies instead.
  • bluecollarfrench
    bluecollarfrench Posts: 344 Member
    I actually am all for private even though I went to a public school I feel the overall education is better, the standards are higher, the teachers have more discipline over the kids. A lot of times the sports are better as well.

A friend of mine that went to a private school said that 90% of the kids that go to the private school end up getting better grades in college than high school?
  • I attended public school. If a student takes advantage of the AP and Honors classes at the school, the class sizes are smaller and the courses more rigorous and challenging. Also, it is easier to graduate at the top of the class in public school, giving ambitious students better chances at top-ranking universities, because there is less competition.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    If money were no issue private.

I want my children to have the very best education possible.
  • We put both of our children in private school because of the smaller class size and more individualized attention. I think the expectations are a little higher because the teachers are not dealing with all the issues that public school teachers deal with. My son has ADHD and Aspergers and we feel private school is the best place for him. My daughter would probably do fine in either, but we will keep her in private as long as we can afford it. I am a teacher in the public schools.
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    If I ever have children and am still living in the United States they will definitely be attending private schools. The public school system here is scary.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Private. I went to private school for high school and what I gained from that was priceless.
  • Evarell
    Evarell Posts: 143 Member
    Another homeschooler here! I know that option doesn't work for everyone.

If we could have afforded it, though, we might have put our son in private school. Anything but public (Well, or religious.)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Yeah, if money wasn't an issue private, but we live in a pretty good district (the same I went through) so we aren't too concerned about the public schools here. There's also a charter school system here, and a charter junior high / high school near by that is really good. Admission is based on a lottery but yeah we're going to try to get our kids in there if we can.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I attended public school. If a student takes advantage of the AP and Honors classes at the school, the class size is smaller and the courses more rigorous and challenging. Also it is easier to graduate at the top of the class in public school, giving ambitious students better chances at top-ranking universities, because there is less competition.

Not in my case. My AG (elementary school), Honors (middle school), and AP classes in high school were 30+ people each and still had the screw up cases that were smart, but still just there to play around holding back the whole class. I went on to a great university, but then again, my friend Bethany who was home-schooled because her parents were tired of problems like mine after 8th grade got a full ride scholarship to HARVARD.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Public, the schools are held to extremely high standards, the teachers are amazing and there for the kids.
    I don't want to send my child to a place that is just there to make a profit. Who would want that?
    Kids first, profits second.

What state? maybe your states just suck. NY system is amazing.
  • ninerbuff
    I actually am all for private even though I went to a public school I feel the overall education is better, the standards are higher, the teachers have more discipline over the kids. A lot of times the sports are better as well.

A friend of mine that went to a private school said that 90% of the kids that go to the private school end up getting better grades in college than high school?
    I don't doubt that. Again I believe the standards are higher. I totally remember acing English in public school, but once I got to high school, I was shocked at how much more advanced the students were and it took me a month to catch up.
    The other thing was that I noticed no drop outs and that everyone graduated.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    I've gone to both, I agree that the private school I went to had much higher academic standards. Those kids all came from families with wealth, education or both and their kids all expected the same for themselves. It was highly competitive in that regard. It was not a religious private school, just prep school but I noticed the difference in acceptable behavior there- little drinking or drug use or promiscuity and zero gang/ petty criminal activity. If you have a child who is academically oriented or knows the career direction they want to go, they should do well.

I left private middle school and skipped a grade to enter public high school, I was already ahead of the advanced eighth grade classes. Once in high school, I found I was best suited to the honors/ gates classes. It wasn't exactly the same as the private school, but there was a more similar environment- better academic focus and behavior- than the gen pop. So, even if your child says at the public school, the gates program may offer a good environment that is challenging but slightly more relaxed and easier on your wallet so you can save that money for college.

EDIT: I should add that I live in an area with excellent school districts so my experience of public school may be skewed.
  • ninerbuff
    Yeah, if money wasn't an issue private, but we live in a pretty good district (the same I went through) so we aren't too concerned about the public schools here. There's also a charter school system here, and a charter junior high / high school near by that is really good. Admission is based on a lottery but yeah we're going to try to get our kids in there if we can.
    Good luch Rachel. I do know that charter schools are a step up from most public schools.
  • Public schools are pretty messed up, but you have to learn how to fight somewhere. I wouldn't know have of the stuff I know about violence, substance abuse, prostitution, and survival if I hadn't gone to public schools! In all seriousness, If I could afford it, I might go private.....then again I have no problem with the way I was brought up. I didn't make the best grades, but that was my fault not my teachers. I turned out ok in the end.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 926 Member
    I attended a private Catholic school thru second grade. I sometimes wish my parents wouldn't have given in to me to go to public school..

PS I was a twig til I went to public school then it all went downhill from there :laugh: