Whole 30 - November Challenge (Closed Group)

Options

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful! My whole family did the whole30 challenge for the month of October and loved it so much, we took 2 days off and have started again until Thanksgiving. We love the way we feel, my husband lost 15 pounds in 30 days, and my 8 year old diabetic son's blood sugar numbers are completely under control for the first time ever. Whole30 has been amazing for us. I actually documented our journey to keep us accountable and help motivate other families to jump on board as well. My website is www.wholefamilystrong.com or you can like my facebook page at Whole Family. Keep up the good work guys! We're right there with you.

This story right here is awesome and further testament to how a controlled carb and all natural lifestyle is not unhealthy for kids like that other thread.....................
    I was going to say the same thing!
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    @Grokette, I'm sorry that you're having such difficulty. I have heard that getting vitamin D levels up can be a slow process. What sort of supplement are you taking, if any?

I am taking 10,000 IU of Vitamin D3 made by Ortho Molecular Labs and I am going to start taking magnesium at night. I had a crying spell over night when I couldn't get to sleep due to the aches and pains in my hips and legs.

I want to join a crossfit WOD but without energy I don't want to waste the money. :(
    I've been taking magnesium and fermented cod liver oil/butter oil. I have actually only been taking the magnesium before 5pm. The first night I took it late at night and I actually slept a lot worse. Since then, I read that magnesium can be slightly energizing for some people when they first take it. Taking it mid-day seems good for me, but I am sure it depends upon the person and the type of magnesium. I am taking 200-400mg (depending upon whether I remember to take it twice) magnesium glycenate.

I hope you feel better soon!
  • iluv2travel
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone!!! I'm looking forward to a nice, relaxing weekend. It will be in the mid to upper 50's here today and tomorrow and I am loving the cooler weather :smile:
    I've been trying to eat fish 1-3x/week. While I would love to do sushi or ahi tuna steaks more regularly, I've also ordered some canned albacore tuna from Wild Planet on Amazon.com. High omega-3, low mercury, sustainably caught, and BPA-free cans. It is more expensive than a lot of other canned tuna, but less expensive than fresh a couple times a week. Plus, it is so good tasty that I just drizzle some olive oil on it, crack some pepper over it, and eat it out of the can.

Canned albacore sounds good, thanks for the suggestion kaitlinj! I usually get tuna but I got bored of it. I used to love the spanish sardines with olive oil and peppers in the can. Maybe I should grab some of those too...mmmm

justamyagain - Yes I like the rain this morning since it wasn't too bad and I didn't hit any traffic. You know how SoCal drivers and rain do not mix well. LOL
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Hey guys - so I need some recipe help. Next weekend I'm celebrating my birthday, and I want to make a really good (preferably chocolate) birthday cake. I thought about ordering from White Lion Baking Co., but their cake mixes are a bit expensive for my taste. Does anyone have a good recipe? Many thanks!!

here is a flourless chocolate cake.. is does have brown sugar but it is still lower carb than a traditional cake
    http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2007/01/flourless-chocolate-cake_11.html
  • momof8munchkins
    Options
    Good morning to all! I am loving the rain in SoCal this morning.

I am finally starting to feel better after my candy binge on Halloween. Ugh. I will not forget that awful feeling anytime soon. Sugar is definitely not my friend.

I hope everyone is having a great morning.
    It's frustrating how just one slip or not so good choice takes days to recover from.. glad you are feeling better
  • wxkris
    wxkris Posts: 57
    Options
    here is a flourless chocolate cake.. is does have brown sugar but it is still lower carb than a traditional cake
    http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2007/01/flourless-chocolate-cake_11.html

ohhh looks like fudgy brownies...yum!! thanks!
  • momof8munchkins
    Options
    This is wonderful! My whole family did the whole30 challenge for the month of October and loved it so much, we took 2 days off and have started again until Thanksgiving. We love the way we feel, my husband lost 15 pounds in 30 days, and my 8 year old diabetic son's blood sugar numbers are completely under control for the first time ever. Whole30 has been amazing for us. I actually documented our journey to keep us accountable and help motivate other families to jump on board as well. My website is www.wholefamilystrong.com or you can like my facebook page at Whole Family. Keep up the good work guys! We're right there with you.
    Thanks you so much for sharing your blog.. it is full of great meal ideas
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I had a routine visit with my doctor today just to review my prescriptions to see if we needed to change anything. I have some NSV's to report!

I did not look at the scale!

One of my many diagnoses was adrenal fatigue and resultant chronic fatigue syndrome. I had been on a low physiological dose of hydrocortisone since 2008. I've been sporadic about exercise because I don't get enough sleep and it was counterproductive to healing my adrenals with the double stress of exercise and low sleep. So for all of 2010 I gave myself permission to give up the exercise and concentrate on getting an extra hour of sleep in the morning. That allowed me to drop my dose to about 2/3 of the original dose. When I began reading about the importance of saturated fat to hormonal health last fall and I realized I was actually not eating enough, within 6 weeks of incorporating cream, butter and fattier cuts of meat into my diet, I doubled my own cortisol output and was able to drop down another 1/3. Six weeks! But during that transition period, my resting heart rate went way up, high enough to send me to a cardiologist- it had already been at the high end of "acceptable" due to the lack of activity before that. My heart turned out to be fine, I was just deeply deconditioned. Readjusting my cortisol dose down helped bring it down a bit and then I began bootcamp in mid-January.

I wasn't sure what would happen with the chronic fatigue, if I would relapse or just continue to improve. I've been able to attend bootcamp 3 days a week since January, have made amazing gains in strength and endurance, and no relapse! I don't consider myself to have chronic fatigue anymore. Today my heart rate was 71, more than 25 points lower than in December. And I mentioned that I had stopped taking the cortisol completely during the summer but with the stress of the kids' new school schedule, I felt like I needed a little the past few weeks. She told me that dose probably wasn't worth my time to take and is having me take dried adrenal cortex instead. So, one less prescription for me!!!

For several years, a trip to the doctor caused anxiety because there was always one more thing wrong or at best, nothing new was wrong, just nothing improved. It's been so nice to get confirmation of good news lately.
  • determinedcrystal
    determinedcrystal Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Day 4 i cant believe i lasted this long
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    way to go determined :)
    I am really interested in seeing the changes at the month. I hope I have more energy.
  • Ayla20103005
    Ayla20103005 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    What was the other thread about children and primal?
  • determinedcrystal
    Options
    I am really interested in seeing the changes at the month. I hope I have more energy.

me too i need more energy but im really looking forward to the weight loss and hopefully it will heal my body so well that i can finally have my first menstrual cycle in my whole life
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    What was the other thread about children and primal?
    It was actually about kids and "low carb" diets (by which I think the OP meant "lowER carb than what the USDA promotes"): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/382572-low-carb-kids
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options

me too i need more energy but im really looking forward to the weight loss and hopefully it will heal my body so well that i can finally have my first menstrual cycle in my whole life

Wow. Stick with it, it gets easier. It may take time but you will begin to see changes.
  • Ayla20103005
    Ayla20103005 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    thanks for that, I did end up finding it :)

The energy will come i promise, it took almost a week for me but I do feel great now :D I hope you get your first cycle soon
  • froglegjack
    Options
    Wow I hope you get it soon too.
    I woke up feeling pretty darn good this morning. I have not had a headache in a few days now. I think I had carb flu or a mild bout of it for the first week of this but feeling pretty darn fine now. I downloaded the free ebooks from the daily apple and am educating myself a little and the cookbooks will sure come in handy :)
    Everyone have a great day. I have to work today. So will see you after.
  • queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I would like to join in :)
  • determinedcrystal
    Options
    Im losing my mind my friend is eating pizza in front of me so far i havent eaten any of it i guess im stronger then i think
    but im really dying inside haha my mind anyways
  • froglegjack
    Options
    hi Brandi
    Determined you rock girl! Great control :) your mind voice will change it's tune soon I think.
  • queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi Frogleg!
    Crystal, you can do it! :happy:
This discussion has been closed.