I have an odd question but I have never been skinny before

Options
Are you supposed to feel your ribs and chest bones? When i hug my mom she says I'm bone-y. Most people I hug I don't notice it. When i shower i feel them more. I have never been this thin so I just don't know,

Replies

• gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    yes
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you're supposed to, but I can feel mine.
  • sw33tn3ss07
    Options
    Yes you are :-)
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm still over 20kgs overweight and I can feel mine.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Gah I can't wait for that to happen!
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    moms are like that. they love us. they don't want us to go "too far." especially if you've lost over 100 pounds (REALLY?! that's fantastic!) your mom might be comapring you to your former self....
  • Maydalis
    Maydalis Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    yea, it's normal to feel them. when you start seeing your ribs, that's when you have a problem :wink:
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    the first time I felt my breast bone, I thought I had some growth freaked out told the wife and she informed me that that was my sternum.
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    My BMI is 20.2, and I can't feel my chest bones, collarbones, or rib bones. But that's because I have a petite frame.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Yes its very normal to feel them. i can see the ones that jut out the most as well as the fat there finally is going away. And I'm not boney by any means but am a healthy weight still trying to lose about 18 lbs. Hope this helps!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 20.2, and I can't feel my chest bones, collarbones, or rib bones. But that's because I have a petite frame.

Wow! That's quite an opposite of me. I'm like 24 BMI and I can see a couple ribs. I'm like medium-large bone frame. It fits me though being 5'9''. :)
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind my asking, how tall are you?
    On a related note, I noticed the other night I could see my hip bones when I was laying down. Still belly when I'm standing up, but kind of nice to see them now and then.
    Congrats on your weight loss! Amazing :)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I'm still 45 lbs. overweight and you can see and feel my hip and collar bones and ribs.

And when I was thin it was even bonier. I like it. Yee bones!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I have what I call "rib boobs" - I have a large rib cage and a small waist, so my ribs stick out quite a bit further than my tummy. Most slender people I know don't have those, but I am well within a healthy weight range and I do so I guess it is just the way I am built.

Worry more about your health than whether or not you are "skinny." Are you within a healthy weight range? Do you have a healthy Body Fat %? Are you consuming enough calories to get adequate nutrition?

If you answered yes to all of the above, then don't worry about it. If you answered no to any of these questions, then you need to focus on fixing those, regardless of anything else.
  • allie864
    allie864 Posts: 298
    Options
    moms are like that. they love us. they don't want us to go "too far." especially if you've lost over 100 pounds (REALLY?! that's fantastic!) your mom might be comapring you to your former self....

I was just thinking the same thing - & I second the congrats on losing over 100 lbs! :smile:
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    yea, it's normal to feel them. when you start seeing your ribs, that's when you have a problem :wink:

My ribs stick way out and I still have 45 lbs. to lose so I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you on this one.
  • LisaMariaCallow
    Options
    Yes! This made me laugh; I had a friend at work joke about how thin I've gotten, and she poked me in the ribs,looked at me strangely & said "What's that?" very seriously. I said "What? My ribs?" and she said "I've never felt them on anyone before" So yes you should feel them. It's when you see them that you may be too thin.

BTW-great job on the weight loss!! Friend me if you want a buddy!!
  • RNMDFF
    RNMDFF Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I can sort of see my chest bone. i can see my ribs. but not through my shirt or anything. I hugged someone else yesterday and they said I was boney
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I can see and physically can see my collarbone....I have some ways to go before I can feel my ribs
  • Multistyles
    Options
    Absolutely yes, you should be happy