MEN - LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD: WE DON'T PREFER STICK FIGURES

Options
tgh1914
tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
Am I right? I can't possibly be the only one. I'm tired of hearing people say that men prefer these 'stick figure' shaped women that the fashion industry, & Hollywood, likes to grind out! I don't prefer them. I don't think most guys prefer them. Frankly, I think the Nicole Ritchie or Cameron Diaz or even the Nicole Kidman - type figure isn't all that attractive. Most of the models in the swimsuit issue (from what I hear :wink: ) do not have what most guys would consider the ideal figure. Most guys like some curves. I'll refrain from naming more names, but I think the ideal figures out there have a little softness to them.

I've been a guy for a long time (30-ish years). I hang around a lot of guys. I work around them all day. I was raised by one. I have two little ones in my family. I'm pretty sure I know the consensus for most guys. But feel free men, to speak your voice.

So I'm sick of hearing so many (like on The View for instance :mad: ) tell me that men prefer these super thin shapes and that's why women feel so much pressure to get that thin. For as good as you women are at perceiving so many things, why are so many of you (not all) so way off in knowing what body shape we like???

Don't get me wrong. Some women can have a very thin build & still be attractive. But that comes from different things. Being happy is attractive. Giving positive attention to your man draws us to you in a big way. Being confident & fun is totally sexy. And if someone who has those qualities also wants to look, act, & feel more healthy & feminine, then that's a huge bonus!

My hat goes off to the many women here on this site who are trying to improve their look & health, and are doing it the right way - the MFP Hotties. Please don't get into the starvation trends. It's not attractive anyway. ( I think some of you call it skinny fat? :laugh: ) Please don't get so into dieting that it becomes all that you are about. Just like most women (I'm told) don't like a guy who all he can talk about is his workouts. Thinner isn't always better. But someone who takes care of themself in ALL different ways and looks like it, is totally sexy. :love: :love: :love:

OK, I'm off the soapbox. That's just my two cents. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• tgh1914
    Options
    Am I right? I can't possibly be the only one. I'm tired of hearing people say that men prefer these 'stick figure' shaped women that the fashion industry, & Hollywood, likes to grind out! I don't prefer them. I don't think most guys prefer them. Frankly, I think the Nicole Ritchie or Cameron Diaz or even the Nicole Kidman - type figure isn't all that attractive. Most of the models in the swimsuit issue (from what I hear :wink: ) do not have what most guys would consider the ideal figure. Most guys like some curves. I'll refrain from naming more names, but I think the ideal figures out there have a little softness to them.

I've been a guy for a long time (30-ish years). I hang around a lot of guys. I work around them all day. I was raised by one. I have two little ones in my family. I'm pretty sure I know the consensus for most guys. But feel free men, to speak your voice.

So I'm sick of hearing so many (like on The View for instance :mad: ) tell me that men prefer these super thin shapes and that's why women feel so much pressure to get that thin. For as good as you women are at perceiving so many things, why are so many of you (not all) so way off in knowing what body shape we like???

Don't get me wrong. Some women can have a very thin build & still be attractive. But that comes from different things. Being happy is attractive. Giving positive attention to your man draws us to you in a big way. Being confident & fun is totally sexy. And if someone who has those qualities also wants to look, act, & feel more healthy & feminine, then that's a huge bonus!

My hat goes off to the many women here on this site who are trying to improve their look & health, and are doing it the right way - the MFP Hotties. Please don't get into the starvation trends. It's not attractive anyway. ( I think some of you call it skinny fat? :laugh: ) Please don't get so into dieting that it becomes all that you are about. Just like most women (I'm told) don't like a guy who all he can talk about is his workouts. Thinner isn't always better. But someone who takes care of themself in ALL different ways and looks like it, is totally sexy. :love: :love: :love:

OK, I'm off the soapbox. That's just my two cents. Thanks for listening.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    sticks and stones hurt....so pass on the sticks
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    Aww, I seriously needed to hear this tonight. Thanks :)
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS POST!!!!! hey even some of us women like our men with meat on their bones...hehe:glasses: :drinker: it goes both ways..healthy,active,happy 3 things that i consider attractive
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Bless your heart-- what a lovely thread-- my husband always tells me the same thing-- sweet men. :smile:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    You sound like my husband. When I tell him I want to lose a few pounds, he tells me he doesn't want me to lose my curves. When I tell him my butt jiggles too much, he says "Do you want to look like a guy? Beautiful women's butts are supposed to do that!" And my beautiful baby boy constantly tells me he thinks I'm beautiful and young. So my small world concurs with you. But it's nice to hear from people other than the ones that are forced to look at me everyday. So thanks :drinker:
  • algiampolo
    Options
    You sound like my better half and he is amazing!! We run together to get healthy and he would be MAD if I got too skinny!
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Nicely put! You're now all the MFP ladies favorite! All the other guys should take note! haha
  • tgh1914
    Options
    Nicely put! You're now all the MFP ladies favorite! All the other guys should take note! haha

Sweet! :wink:
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    This is truly a great post and it made my night! Thank you for posting this! Many women need to read this and so do many men. Thanks again!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    sticks and stones hurt....so pass on the sticks

wise edit-- LOL-- :wink:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    My BF says the same thing. He wants a woman to look like a woman!
    :drinker:
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post :smile:
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    :heart:Curvy Chicks Kick *kitten*!!:heart:

:flowerforyou:
  • Vanessa1969
    Vanessa1969 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    That was so good to hear, thanks for coming on and giving your motivational 2 cents worth.
    I have read that most men feel the way you do, and it is always nice to hear it again. I remember seeing an interview with someone a long time ago, I can't even remember who it was, and he said that he liked his women looking like women, not with figures resembling prepubescent boys.
    We are supposed to be curvy, and a bit soft in the right spots, and I think most men out there appreciate that.
  • nwfamilygal
    nwfamilygal Posts: 635
    Options
    Nice Post :drinker: :flowerforyou: My husband feels the same way :bigsmile:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Thanks for a great post. My 22 year old son is very attracted to larger size women and women with ample behinds. :laugh:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

Amen :)
    Seriously though...I think it's about having it...in the right places (if you know what I mean)...
    Since turning 35 and having 2 kiddies.....let's just say those areas have...ummmm..... shifted...LOL

I just have to say it's evident that Nicole Richie and Lindsey Lohan, I feel, have an eating disorder and are beyond skinny...
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Here here!:drinker: :drinker:

I have never wanted to be stick thin. I will always have hips anyway. Can't change the way my bones are! :laugh:

My goal was always just to be healthy and active and to feel better. And I have achieved that and then some! :wink:

:flowerforyou:
    -Tami
  • becbec71
    becbec71 Posts: 136
    Options
    It took me many years to get that through my thick head. My better half makes me feel beautiful no matter what size I am. I am doing this for me because I was happier a size 8-10. Will I let myself go smaller that that? Nope. If more men like you stood up and tell it like it is then the world would be a happier place!