Whole 30 - November Challenge (Closed Group)

Options

Replies

• iluv2travel
    Options
    I just wanted to share this recipe from the nomnompaleo site, i made half of the recipe as dessert for dinner and it was pretty darn good!!! Tastes like yummy pumpkin pie without the crust but the crunchy coconut topping makes up for that.

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/12318335046/paleo-pumpkin-coconut-maple-custard-cups
    I wasn't sure what would happen with the chronic fatigue, if I would relapse or just continue to improve. I've been able to attend bootcamp 3 days a week since January, have made amazing gains in strength and endurance, and no relapse! I don't consider myself to have chronic fatigue anymore. Today my heart rate was 71, more than 25 points lower than in December. And I mentioned that I had stopped taking the cortisol completely during the summer but with the stress of the kids' new school schedule, I felt like I needed a little the past few weeks. She told me that dose probably wasn't worth my time to take and is having me take dried adrenal cortex instead. So, one less prescription for me!!!

For several years, a trip to the doctor caused anxiety because there was always one more thing wrong or at best, nothing new was wrong, just nothing improved. It's been so nice to get confirmation of good news lately.

jamk1446 - that is good news! I'm glad to hear that you had a positive doctor's visit :smile:

welcome to the forum brandibangs!
  • queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thank you Jenny! I'm so glad to be here! :bigsmile:
  • determinedcrystal
    determinedcrystal Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was in the store yesterday and its so shocking how much most of the food in there is made of wheat or processed food
    also a eye opener how much less calories you can eat but just staying away from that now i know why cavemen and women were skinny
  • queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was in the store yesterday and its so shocking how much most of the food in there is made of wheat or processed food
    also a eye opener how much less calories you can eat but just staying away from that now i know why cavemen and women were skinny
    It's crazy! Almost everything has high fructose corn syrup too!
  • Ayla20103005
    Ayla20103005 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It sure is ridiculous what is in stuff.
    Even cream, I have been buying just double cream, but all the pouring creams I can find have thickeners, its crazy, how bout just put cream in a bottle :/
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    It really is shocking how much stuff is in processed food. I work part time doing food demos and of course part of that is sales but I do point out stuff to people who are receptive to hearing it on some of the products I am passing off as food.
    I wish the whole country was more educated on these things. It is amazing that so many people opt for microwavable over cooking. I know that we live in a "busy" all the time society but what we are giving up to eat that way is way more than time involved. Even before I started cleaning up my diet I avoided microwavable food like the plague. I wanted to know what I was eating.

Well today is the start of a new week and I hope that everyone has a great day full of sunshine and good food and friends and laughter.
    Mary
  • wxkris
    wxkris Posts: 57
    Options
    Good morning :) I'm glad that brandibangs joined! Her weight loss has been very inspiring.

I have to say that minus a couple of small slip-ups and possibly a little too much wine and chocolate, I stuck to my guns this weekend when faced with temptation. On Saturday, I was at a wedding reception, where I was able to steer clear of anything breaded, pasta, etc. Then last night, my boyfriend tried very hard to get me to try one bite of an apparently delicious pumpkin muffin (he means well, but I didn't appreciate it). I was DEFINITELY tempted, but thought about this group and my goals and said no. Instead, I made my own! I added walnuts and mini chocolate chips :) I also used agave nectar instead of maple syrup.

http://www.primal-palate.com/2010/10/pumpkin-spice-cakes-and-pumpkin-spice.html
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    good morning all. I had a good weekend and I hope everyone else did too.

Just posted some info. that perhaps you all would want to read up in response to a "neuroscientist / neuropharmacutiacal" gal on another thread that keeps posting wrong info. I replied to her and listed correct info. about paleo benefits that maybe you all would find helpful. I am sure you all here have come across the info. I posted in reply about the benefits of having a Low Carb WOL.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/382572-low-carb-kids?page=3#posts-5300769

The OP is about an article suggesstion that Paleo is safe for kids. The OPoster has a great weight loss testimony too from his low carb food journey. Interested thread, all in all.

Happy Monday everyone.
  • busywaterbending
    Options

It's frustrating how just one slip or not so good choice takes days to recover from.. glad you are feeling better

fustrating? nah. But for the leptin reset thing, it is suppossed to take up to 2 weeks to recover if you go above 50 g carbs a day while doing that. I think if you stick to low carb 99% of the time with one small spike that is still under or about 100g carbs a day for the long haul the benefits will still outweigh the negatives!

Cooking today, with a chance of showers. 80 right now, rain later, off to do some grilling! :)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    It really is shocking how much stuff is in processed food. I work part time doing food demos and of course part of that is sales but I do point out stuff to people who are receptive to hearing it on some of the products I am passing off as food.
    I wish the whole country was more educated on these things. It is amazing that so many people opt for microwavable over cooking. I know that we live in a "busy" all the time society but what we are giving up to eat that way is way more than time involved. Even before I started cleaning up my diet I avoided microwavable food like the plague. I wanted to know what I was eating.

Well today is the start of a new week and I hope that everyone has a great day full of sunshine and good food and friends and laughter.
    Mary

As evidenced by many on this website alone....................most people just don't care. They want quick, convenient and what they think tastes good. If most of these people would just half way clean up their eating plans they would notice their taste buds change over the course of a couple of weeks.

I stalk people's grocery carts at the store when I go to Wal-mart, Target, or any other grocery store and the amount of boxed and frozen, packaged stuff I see in people's carts is just unbelievable. Not any fresh fruits or vegetables. Ramen noodles, hamburger helper, frozen pizzas and other frozen dinners, etc..........cases of soda, blech!!

Processed food has always been nasty to both me and my husband as we were both raised on home cooked food. Yes, some of that home cooked food was starchy and carby, but I never had a weight problem until my hormones decided to go all whacko on me. Heck, I was 125 pounds when I met my husband 17 years ago and he immediately knew something was wrong with me because it seemed like I was gaining weight overnight by leaps and bounds even though my eating habits never changed and I was exercising. He was furious when the Dr basically called me a liar and told me to find a new Dr, which I did to the tune of the same song and dance.

I take the time to clean, prep and cook, even if that means throwing a beef or pork roast or a whole chicken in the crock pot with some vegetables and seasonings and cooking over night while we are asleep. We eat good food. We are getting ready to finish up our licensing for the Foster to Adopt program and I want to make sure that our kids will be eating healthy foods when they come into our house.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Mary

Sweet sentiments to start the week, thanks Mary!
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    As evidenced by many on this website alone....................most people just don't care. They want quick, convenient and what they think tastes good. If most of these people would just half way clean up their eating plans they would notice their taste buds change over the course of a couple of weeks.

I stalk people's grocery carts at the store when I go to Wal-mart, Target, or any other grocery store and the amount of boxed and frozen, packaged stuff I see in people's carts is just unbelievable. Not any fresh fruits or vegetables. Ramen noodles, hamburger helper, frozen pizzas and other frozen dinners, etc..........cases of soda, blech!!

Processed food has always been nasty to both me and my husband as we were both raised on home cooked food. Yes, some of that home cooked food was starchy and carby, but I never had a weight problem until my hormones decided to go all whacko on me. Heck, I was 125 pounds when I met my husband 17 years ago and he immediately knew something was wrong with me because it seemed like I was gaining weight overnight by leaps and bounds even though my eating habits never changed and I was exercising. He was furious when the Dr basically called me a liar and told me to find a new Dr, which I did to the tune of the same song and dance.

I take the time to clean, prep and cook, even if that means throwing a beef or pork roast or a whole chicken in the crock pot with some vegetables and seasonings and cooking over night while we are asleep. We eat good food. We are getting ready to finish up our licensing for the Foster to Adopt program and I want to make sure that our kids will be eating healthy foods when they come into our house.

I find people stalk my grocery cart! Last night the cashier filled 5 paper bags with just my produce alone and he said, "that's a lot of produce." The lady behind me laughed and said she was thinking the same thing. He asked if I was really going to eat all of that? No, I just buy all that for show. Silly. I told him I feed a family of 5, we most certainly will eat all of that and I will probably will need to be back for more by the weekend (maybe not 5 bags worth though).

I can hardly stand anything out of a box, can or fast food wrapper anymore. I swear I can taste soybean oil now. Nasty. I don't consider those things treats or something to look forward to and haven't for a long time. Those are foods of last resort. It was hard to "have" to cook all the time at first, now it's just second nature.
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    yes, I too am sad at the suicidal tendencies of most people and see their shopping carts and shake my head. Processed foods? Candy? I just think that I am surrounded by zombies. Watching people die because of food choices that are making them sick and fat... oh well. Not my job to say anything!

(I got fat from a decade of a low fat diet. Not huge, just a layer that hid the lean muscle underneath which slowly crept up. I have never been obese, but there once was a few years in High School I wasn't exercising and I went from a size 4 to a size 8). I'm a size 1 and I've fluctuated in the past 10 years between a size 4 and a size 1, mostly in my legs. Low carbing is a way that I've regained the ability to burn the fat off my thighs, as well as eliminate the hypoglycemia I was suffering from NOT entering fat burning mode by eating too many carbs!

But I do often get asked by others why I buy leeks or how do I cook that fish? They always love talking to me and I end up making a great friend who loves to comment on how beautiful I am, or how energenic I am. Fuel. Fuel your body right. Personally, I'm glad to be in a fat burning mode and on a low carb diet that is healthy and not making me sick. I can't help but laugh to myself at how easy it is to shed body fat and how great it feels to eat beautiful meals. Low carb does not equal suffering!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I can't believe just how completely twisted the notion of "food" has become. All people see these days seems to be calories and macro nutrients covered by a layer of sugar or artificial sweeteners and emulsifying agents.

"You can eat it and suffer immediate consequences" =/= "will nourish your body and keep you strong and healthy."

Growing up my parents put a lot of emphasis on real food, we sat down for family meals, etc. We still had our share of packaged food, but bread and Cheerios was about it for processed food that we ate regularly.

In college I think I moved away from a lot of that, due to a number of different factors (like not having a kitchen/not really knowing how to cook), but over the years I have definitely come back to whole foods--even to a greater extent than my parents. I am surprised just how little of my food comes with a label. Besides spices, it is basically: coconut oil, coconut milk (and I might start making my own), mustard, and salsa (both of which I could make, I just choose not to at the moment).
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    color think test.
    1. have someone time you
    2. post your results / score

http://www.humorsphere.com/fun/8787/colortest.swf

it took me 5 seconds, 100% score. I found the test very easy. My friends say it's hard and can't get a perfect score like I can. I have high functioning autisim and spanish is my first language. Either my autisim or my english as a second language is my edge to this. What do you guys think? :)

Also, people deprived of nutrients and the fats they need to digest fat soluble nutrients, and the fats they need to carry energy INTO cells for fuel are shown to not be able to think fast or clearly. I know that I'm getting enough fats in my diet now!

on my second try of the test I did it in 3 seconds.

299838_287956661225012_100000320426113_975332_942425011_n.jpg
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    so one of the gals from a previous month's low carb challenge just posted that she's out. I'm sad that she is giving up.

Just a reminder folks, that you can't burn fat, body fat, without going first into starvation mode. If your body can't use the energy it has in stored fat while in starvation mode that means one of three things:

your body can't burn body fat because you have too many carbs in your diet and your body is burning sugar not fat during energy burning mode

or

you are eating too much and you are in storage mode, not energy burning mode

or

you are diabetic to the point that you can't get your body to turn energy from fats into useable energy and you go into diabetic ketoacidosis which is pretty rare and dire. (You will get loopy, black out, vomit allot, end up in a coma). Just won't happen right away but the symptoms are there if you do try to be a fatburner for more than the one day of the dangerous symptoms.

So folk, please be true to your self and understand that if you want a low carb diet in order to lose body fat to work you have to go under 100g of carbs a day. You also have to use up the glycogen in your muscles and liver completely via exercise.

If you are doing a leptin reset, you need medical supervision. The leptin reset requires a very low carb intake, and ketone monitoring to make sure the body does not become acidic. We do not need to do leptin resets. I have been trying to do this myself, but I am unable to last more than a week below 50g of carbs a day. I will discuss this further with my gastroenterologist after some blood work. I am curious on his take on it. I obviously don't need to do a leptin reset since I am sucessful at burning off body fat.
  • determinedcrystal
    determinedcrystal Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I never knew that i would substitute rice with salad and man did i eat alot of it today with my pepper steak.
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options

Mary

I am a shopping cart stalker too and I really really want to say stuff to people who have children and all they are feeding them is sugar sugar sugar and potato chips. I know I can't and I don't but I want to ask what are you thinking?
    Also one really sad thing I see are really really large people who can barely walk riding the scooters around the store and stopping at every demo, usually more than once. A lot of these people are young! I hope that they realize what they are doing to themselves one day and reverse it.
  • Ayla20103005
    Ayla20103005 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    ooooh I love this:

It will never be:

easy
    perfect
    the right time

Nobody is going to:

tell you exactly what to do
    drag you out of bed in the morning
    yell at you to eat healthy
    lift weights for you
    run a race for you

There will always be:

holidays
    sick days
    sleepless nights
    early mornings
    vacations
    bad weather
    long days at the office

It will always be easier to:

say no
    hit SNOOZE
    do nothing
    settle
    blame others
    make excuses
    give up
    say "I tried my best" when you really didn't

Life is freaking tough - health, wealth, and happiness certainly don't come easy.

For those reasons, you don't need:

The best equipment
    The best business plan
    The PERFECT workout program (it doesn't exist)
    A super specific meal plan

And it's okay to:

not have all of the answers yet - NOBODY does
    not have your life completely figured out yet - NOBODY does
    get started and figure things out as you go

As Teddy Roosevelt once said, "Do the best you can, with what you have, where you are."

Take action. Make changes.

You will make mistakes. You will fail. Embrace it.

You know what's NOT okay?

to expect instant success and gratification
    to give up immediately when life doesn't go your way
    to keep doing the same thing while expecting different results
    to coast through life while complaining about it
    to constantly wonder "what if" without ever finding out

Tomorrow never comes.

Eventually never happens.

Today.

Now.

Shut up and start.

-Steve
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    ooooh I love this:

It will never be:

easy
    perfect
    the right time

Nobody is going to:

tell you exactly what to do
    drag you out of bed in the morning
    yell at you to eat healthy
    lift weights for you
    run a race for you

There will always be:

holidays
    sick days
    sleepless nights
    early mornings
    vacations
    bad weather
    long days at the office

It will always be easier to:

say no
    hit SNOOZE
    do nothing
    settle
    blame others
    make excuses
    give up
    say "I tried my best" when you really didn't

Life is freaking tough - health, wealth, and happiness certainly don't come easy.

For those reasons, you don't need:

The best equipment
    The best business plan
    The PERFECT workout program (it doesn't exist)
    A super specific meal plan

And it's okay to:

not have all of the answers yet - NOBODY does
    not have your life completely figured out yet - NOBODY does
    get started and figure things out as you go

As Teddy Roosevelt once said, "Do the best you can, with what you have, where you are."

Take action. Make changes.

You will make mistakes. You will fail. Embrace it.

You know what's NOT okay?

to expect instant success and gratification
    to give up immediately when life doesn't go your way
    to keep doing the same thing while expecting different results
    to coast through life while complaining about it
    to constantly wonder "what if" without ever finding out

Tomorrow never comes.

Eventually never happens.

Today.

Now.

Shut up and start.

-Steve