Whole fat foods.

Options
13»

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I don't eat low fat, but I eat low saturated fat which would mean reduced fat dairy because the saturated fat in dairy has been shown to increase risk of heart disease. But that doesn't mean you can't eat it and be healthy. I'd just recommend keeping a close eye on your health, especially at first. Good luck!!

Excess carbs (except fruits and vegetables) and sugar is what REALLY causes heart disease from the inflammation.

Saturated fat in generous amounts and cutting the carbs in sugar and grains is not healthy. In fact, it is a natural way to eat without having to process those foods..............unlike grains which has to be heavily processed to make it edible.

Ancel Keys had it all wrong and I am sorry to say that most people bought it and are still buying it hook, line and sinker.

What is your obsession with Ancel Keys? Geez, he's been dead for years. Surely you can find something more recent to pick on.

He is the person that started this whole saturated fat is bad, when in fact he ignored the data that CLEARLY showed that saturated fats are good for you.

This was the beginning of the brainwashing of this country. As quoted by a Doctor in my signature, this country is part of the biggest science experiment gone wrong.
  • Grokette
    Options
    I don't eat low fat, but I eat low saturated fat which would mean reduced fat dairy because the saturated fat in dairy has been shown to increase risk of heart disease. But that doesn't mean you can't eat it and be healthy. I'd just recommend keeping a close eye on your health, especially at first. Good luck!!

Excess carbs (except fruits and vegetables) and sugar is what REALLY causes heart disease from the inflammation.

Saturated fat in generous amounts and cutting the carbs in sugar and grains is not healthy. In fact, it is a natural way to eat without having to process those foods..............unlike grains which has to be heavily processed to make it edible.

Ancel Keys had it all wrong and I am sorry to say that most people bought it and are still buying it hook, line and sinker.

What is your obsession with Ancel Keys? Geez, he's been dead for years. Surely you can find something more recent to pick on.

Now that seems to be just picking a fight.

I have just seen that same post over and over, when no one else mentions Ansel Keys. I am genuinely curious as to why he keeps coming up so much. And he didn't have it "all wrong". His research was important and spurred further research that shapes health recommendation to this day. Sure, it wasn't complete. Just as research done today will be considered incomplete in the future. It's research.

When you ignore the data that was clearly there stating that countries that had HIGH saturated fat and just plain high fat eating had far less instances of heart disease than countries that eat higher carb and low fat - HE DID AND DOES HAVE IT ALL WRONG....................

He took data from 3 countries and ignored data from 7 other countries. That is getting is completely WRONG.

I will continue to speak out against Ancel Keys and I am not the only one on this website.

Reading is fundamental to learning.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    He took data from 3 countries and ignored data from 7 other countries. That is getting is completely WRONG.

That's both true and untrue, if you actually read the study and the peer reviews of it and not just some guy's blog. I just don't understand basing your eating habits on a decades old study, whether it's correct or incorrect. But whatever works I guess.
  • Grokette
    Options

That's both true and untrue, if you actually read the study and the peer reviews of it and not just some guy's blog. I just don't understand basing your eating habits on a decades old study, whether it's correct or incorrect. But whatever works I guess.

The diet-heart hypothesis (that suggests that high intake of fat and cholesterol causes heart disease) has been repeatedly shown to be wrong, and yet, for complicated reasons of pride, profits and prejudice, the hypothesis continues to be exploited by scientists, fund-raising enterprises, food companies, and even governmental agencies. The public is being deceived by the greatest health scam of the century. --- George V. Mann, M.D. Researcher with the Framingham Heart Study
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I eat whole-fat everything except milk and yoghurt, and that's mostly because I prefer the taste of those. I loooove giant fatty steaks, bacon and chicken skin, buttery desserts served with cream, pastries, etc. I also eat small portions, with plenty of fruits and vegetables and get good exercise. I think it's a very healthy way to eat - far less processed and small portions of hearty, rich food are way more satisfying that giant bowls of fakeorama low-fat/low-cal/low-carb chemical-laden dreck.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Good for you! I eat whole-fat everything except milk and yoghurt, and that's mostly because I prefer the taste of those. I loooove giant fatty steaks, bacon and chicken skin, buttery desserts served with cream, pastries, etc. I also eat small portions, with plenty of fruits and vegetables and get good exercise. I think it's a very healthy way to eat - far less processed and small portions of hearty, rich food are way more satisfying that giant bowls of fakeorama low-fat/low-cal/low-carb chemical-laden dreck.

Agreed.............except for I can no longer have the pastries and such.............

But the bacon, chicken skin, fatty steaks, etc I am right there with you.

I firmly believe that is why other countries (especially in Europe) don't have near the obesity that the US has.............they eat small portions of hearty and very rich and unprocessed foods.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    But the bacon, chicken skin, fatty steaks, etc I am right there with you.

I firmly believe that is why other countries (especially in Europe) don't have near the obesity that the US has.............they eat small portions of hearty and very rich and unprocessed foods.

I think it's the smaller portions and wine that do it. Most European countries eat bread and pasta and other processed foods, though the vast majority probably eats less junk food, especially fast food.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

I think it's the smaller portions and wine that do it. Most European countries eat bread and pasta and other processed foods, though the vast majority probably eats less junk food, especially fast food.

I agree. I think smaller portions of high-fat foods, along with a larger variety of different foods at each meal, probably make up a lot of the difference. More variety of the good stuff = less food overall.

And the wine helps too, of course! A large, rare t-bone steak with buttery mashed potatoes, steamed green beans and a glass of good red wine is about my perfect meal.

FWIW, I don't count bread (the proper kind: flour, water, salt, yeast) and pasta as 'processed' in my calculations, though. I know they are, but I go with 'if I can make it at home, its fine'.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Avocado and nuts!
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    So far so good
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    So far so good if anybody is still following this thread. The main thing I am doing differently so far is whole fat milk. I also bought regular sherbet instead of low fat frozen yogurt. We had burritos with full fat cheese, but I used fat free re-fried beans. I figure those are just mushed up beans that haven't been fried so it was ok. I am loving the whole milk in the morning. I still can't seem to give up the artificial sweetener in my coffee. I use real unbleached sugar about half the time now. Giving up diet soda after the last one in my fridge is gone tonight. I had an iced coffee today with whole milk today, but I used my french vanilla flavoring made with Splenda. Baby steps. It will take awhile to get over the hype of low fat is good. So far I do feel more satisfied longer, and I feel like I'm cheating even though I count everything and stay within my limits.:happy:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I am trying something new. I do not eat low fat foods anymore. I still count my fat and calories as well as my cholesterol and sugar intake. I am starting by only using full fat dairy and just counting the fat and calories. I don't buy packaged food much, but if I do it can't say low fat anywhere on the box/bag. I am trying (very hard) to cut out artificial sweeteners. The theory is that these foods will make me feel more satisfied and I will crave junk like fast food and eat less refined sugar. I would like to know what people think of this. Please be respectful of my choices as well as other peoples opinions.

My doctor in the city is the founder of the 'Perfect 10 Diet'. Among other things, his diet completely backs up your goal, stating that whole fat foods are much better than their 'lite' counterparts. Take it with a grain of salt since it's one of many diets, but I think it warrants at least trying. I don't follow the diet 100%, but I do try to go for full fat when I can.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I agree. I think smaller portions of high-fat foods, along with a larger variety of different foods at each meal, probably make up a lot of the difference. More variety of the good stuff = less food overall.

And the wine helps too, of course! A large, rare t-bone steak with buttery mashed potatoes, steamed green beans and a glass of good red wine is about my perfect meal.

FWIW, I don't count bread (the proper kind: flour, water, salt, yeast) and pasta as 'processed' in my calculations, though. I know they are, but I go with 'if I can make it at home, its fine'.

Mmm, take those potatoes out add some sauteed mushrooms instead and I'm with ya! Not 'my' perfect meal, but a pretty darn good one. (though I can never finish a large steak, but that just means leftovers!).
  • CuteEllais
    CuteEllais Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to do this, but what about for people whose body doesn't seem to tolerate fats and oils well? Small amounts are ok, but whole milk, oily foods and otherwise heavy foods can make me feel not so very well.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I would LOVE to do this, but what about for people whose body doesn't seem to tolerate fats and oils well? Small amounts are ok, but whole milk, oily foods and otherwise heavy foods can make me feel not so very well.

If you don't tolerate fats well, why would you love to go full fat? That sounds like torture.
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Well... I know my parents went from drinking skim milk and using margarine to eating only raw butter and raw milk and they lost a bunch of weight and lowered their cholesterol. They also cut out sugar entirely, though, and watched their portion sizes, so it's hard to say which factor(s) played the biggest part. They swear by the raw milk/butter, though.

I really want raw milk, but have not been able to find a supplier............ yet

Sorry...but what do you mean by 'raw milk'?? Think I'm the other side of the pond lol :-))

Straight from the cow!
  • DavisKarenR
    Options

sounds like you may need to read Nourishing Traditions or the GAPS Diet.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I buy untreated milk where possible, but it is very hard to get. Shops don't sell it, so I get it direct from the dairy at the farmer's market, but they only do a stall once a month. There is plenty of evidence it is better for you, unless you are pregnant, when it is still better for you but the tiny risk of listeria makes it inadvisable IMO.

In general I get semi skimmed milk, though. And fat free greek yoghurt. Everything else is full fat, and always butter, not margarine.
  • luhluhlaura
    luhluhlaura Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that if I buy a quart of whole milk, it takes way longer to spoil than a quart of skim/1% milk. So that was a big of a sign to me that whole milk is less modified and processed--good thing!
    I still go for skim milk (or almond milk), but that's just because the calories are so low and I use a lot of milk for protein shakes and whatnot.

In terms of butter instead of margarine, DO IT! I remember the first time I put REAL butter on my toast (my mom always bought margarine)...it was a heavenly experience. lol. and since it's so rich-tasting, you don't need to use too much. I'm not sure of the specifics, but I know there has been research to prove that margarine made from hydrogenated vegetable oils increases "bad" cholesterol.

And same goes for real sugar vs. artificial sweeteners. Research has shown that consuming diet soda can cause more cravings for sweetness, weight gain, and even higher heart attack and stroke risks! not to mention, diet soda tastes like crap.
    there's this natural sweetener called agave nectar--it's like a lighter, sugary honey. It's so good. I suggest looking into that :)