Dear Mom...

Options
My dad was going to book a "once in a lifetime" holiday to Australia for him and my mom. He wasn't going to tell her about it at first, as we knew what she'd say. Eventually, he cracked and told her his plans. Apparently, my mother said that is the closest she's ever come to considering divorcing him! And her reasons for not wanting to go? "Look at me, I'm too fat, can you imagine me in a hot country around all those women in little bikinis....and then having to see Sue after so many years looking like this? Its my idea of hell". However, my mom has been "fat and unhappy" since I was a child (I'm 26 now). She has had a few half hearted attempts at weight watchers - but never stuck at them. I tried everything - bought her portion control pots, showed her diet books, talked about what I do at the gym, made helpful suggestions, gave advice......nothing. Shes still a size 26. I've cracked. I've had enough, I can't keep doing the "softly softly" approach and seeing her make her health worse (blood sugar issues, heart problems, chest pains, cholestoral, breathlessness) and not taking action. I've written her a heartfelt email and wanted to see whether other MFP people think it is okay, and any tips for helping. I can't go with the "she'l do it when she's ready" - she's 56 - she doesn't have years and years and years to think about changing - if she doesnt change now, chances are she'll have a heart attack before she reaches 60.

Mom

I feel the need to write to you to explain my feelings and concerns. I know I am not alone in thinking these things, but as your daughter, you need to hear the truth from me. First of all I want you to know everything I am going to say is said with the utmost love and respect, and with a deep concern for your happiness. I am really sad that you feel you have to turn down such a "once in a lifetime" opportunity such as the Austrailia trip, because of your concerns about your health/weight. I think you have every right to be concerned, but these concerns are surmountable, with the right attitude and support. I would hate you to get to later in your life and have regrets. I know I would if that was me. Having a long term goal, or end point in sight, is a great motivator and can spur you on.

You've been unhappy with your weight since I can remember, even as a child I was aware of it. How long will it continue this way? I know you want things to change, I know you do so much. There has to be a time when thoughts turn to actions, and you work towards achieving your goals. I know you have worries and fears, but I'm sure these can be allayed. I want to help you to lose weight, but I want you to want to as well. There is no reason why you cannot achieve your goal (or at least part) of it in the next 12 months. One of my favourite sayings, which I use at work with clients is "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got" which is very very true in my opinion. Unless you do something to break the cycle, every day will be the same (or worse) than the previous one and you will always feel unhappy and stuck in a rut. I am 100% willing to do whatever you need, or whatever you think it would take to achieve this. If you need me to come home 3 evenings a week to workout with you, and talk things over, I will. If you want me to come to meetings with you, I will. But you need to tell me what you need. I don't know whether I sort of validated it, by buying you the bigger clothes sizes and trying to get you nice outfits, I know it wasn't what you wanted but I did it to cheer you up. The deal should now be I'll buy you a brand new outfit when you get down to a size 20 - which I know you could do.

On a serious note, I am concerned for your health, and so are the rest of the family. I would like to think that any grandchildren I may have will be able to have a very long relationship with you, and I worry that unless you do something about your health this might not be as long as I want. I know not everything is in your control, but so many things are linked, that by addressing one thing, it can improve another area.

It has to be a complete lifestyle change: you need to reinvent yourself. It's a big thing, but you need to see yourself as the person you want to be. It has to become engrained in your routine, your thoughts and therefore, your behaviours. You say that I am nice and slim: this is because I watch what I eat (portion sizes and calories) and I plan my week so that I fit in my workouts - if I'm going out for a meal on the weekend, I will make sure I go to the gym in the day. It's a pain at first, but now I feel worse when I don't go because it feels unnatural! I'm not saying you have to dive in and run a marathon, but you need to set aside 30 mins a day to do some form of gentle exercise to build up your stamina - just taking a slow walk to the end of the road, or aqua aerobics, or an exercise video. I know you get out of breath but trust me, things improve very quickly. With Tash at home to help with cooking, it just needs to become part of your evening routine. Priorities need to shift: you're a good teacher and with 25 years of experience, I'm sure you can find ways to get around this and manage your time to fit in with your goals. Other things which really helped me (and that any keyworker, health trainer etc. will tell you) is keeping a diary. There are so many options available - you just need to decide on a few that you're going to try and give it a shot for a couple months. Sometimes it's trial and error - one thing isn't great, so you move to another possible solution.

As I said before, I will help you in any way I can, but the change has to come from you. No-one else can do it for you. If you are unhappy with the status quo, then take action and make things better! You will have everyone's support as well, so its not something you have to do alone.

I really hope that you will have a good think about this. Please tell me where we go from here, because I feel things have reached a tipping point.

I will leave you with a final thought.

"Talking much and doing nothing is like climbing a tree to catch a fish"- Chinese Proverb

With much much love

xxxx

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    :indifferent:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you mean well, but do you think it will help at all? People have to want to change for themselves before they'll listen to anything someone else has to say.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    :indifferent:

me too.
  • raychybabe
    raychybabe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    She wants to change though, she knows what she has to do, knows the risks, knows the benefits of changing........theres just fear between thinking those thoughts and putting them into action.

She's not in precontemplation (check out cycle of change - prochaska and diclemente) as she recognises she has a problem, she is in contemplation - but not yet reached action.

My dad and my siblings tiptoe around the subject, which maybe by accepting it there is no reason to change - I was hoping that by showing my concerns she realises she's upsetting the people who love and care about her. I know I can't make her do anything - I just wanted her to feel that I believe she can do it if she tries, and that I am here for her.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    You can want in one hand and and put some waste in the other, but in the end of the day, all you have is dirty hands ... If she knows what to do, and how to do it, then she's going to have to just do it. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • GateCrasher1
    GateCrasher1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    People don't change until the pain of staying the same is worse than the pain of changing.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have the facts of life.
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    If I got a letter like that I would be very angry and very hurt. But then I would be very motivated. Change of any kind is a scary thing, so it's easy to come up with excuses. I think the effectiveness of your letter is going to vary from person to person and none of us know your mom like you do! I hope it works.... Australia is beautiful!
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    From one daughter to another:

Love your mom for who she is and accept her faults. It is up to her to decide when and if she will make personal changes. Appreciate the time you have with her because some day she will be gone and you don't want to have any regrets.

I know its hard because you want the best for her but it is not your job as her child.

:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • bodyrockerjaime
    Options
    People have to find the will to change within themselves. They can be a victim to their circumstances or they can really want to change and find a way to make it happen no matter what. Change is always a journey.

I've found that any advice that hasn't been asked for is often taken as criticism. You have good intentions, but they are also motivated by your own beliefs and desires for your Mom.

Instead of telling your Mom you will support her to make changes, you should love her unconditionally, whether she makes them or not.

I wouldn't send this email if I were you, I would let her live her life and be an example of health. When you set an example, then when the person is ready, they will ask for your help.
  • raychybabe
    Options
    People don't change until the pain of staying the same is worse than the pain of changing.

Oh I know! I work with drug addicts and its all about decisional balance

this is how I see her seeing it

Pros of changing: look better, feel better, better marriage, healthier, live longer
    Pros and staying the same: comfortable, safe, enjoy take outs, routine
    Cons of changing: time, money, fear of failure, having to be around other people in swimsuit, shame/stigma
    Cons of staying the same: health will get worse, unhappy, family sad
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's time to ask yourselves: What would we do baby, without us? And there ain't no nothing we can't love each other through.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    I agree with everyone that says it's up to your mom to want to change ... but I also think that the e-mail you wrote is very heart-felt and truthful without being hurtful. It actually sounds like something I would do/write if my mom were in a situation like that. You know your mom better then any of us on here and you know how she would react to recieving this email. If you think it will be good for her to hear and will help her then do it
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    As a mother, I have to say if I got a letter like that, I would be completely gutted.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that says it's up to your mom to want to change ... but I also think that the e-mail you wrote is very heart-felt and truthful without being hurtful. It actually sounds like something I would do/write if my mom were in a situation like that. You know your mom better then any of us on here and you know how she would react to recieving this email. If you think it will be good for her to hear and will help her then do it
    Totally agree. This may just be the "straw that breaks the camels back" in getting your mom to begin her change.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I for one, love your letter. maybe it would come off better to hand write it? I think you touched on every point needed. why not try to get her on here. I know some people her age hate computers. BUT if she just logged what she normally eats, maybe it would click. maybe she could write it and you log it for her to show her the ropes. I would gladly add her as my friend on here.

I also see how bodyrocks sees it as well. maybe she sees it as you being criticle of her size. BUT she has tried in the past, and failed. me too until I saw the light of MFP. and realized it is a life change not a diet.

Does mom know someone there? If not then who cares what she looks like!!! people do not just sit back and look at others and say things about them.

I commend your interest in helping mom, you know how hard it is to change, you work with addicts all day. You have the patients of a saint.
  • aflaherty
    aflaherty Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i think it's really brave what you're doing, because it's scary to confront someone you love so much. but it's also scary to think about what your mom's doing to herself healthwise, so props for writing the letter! my suggestion would be this. . .i would keep it simple and stick to the parts about how you are worried about her. You included some goals that you think she should have. . .you would buy her a new outfit when she gets to a 20 and that she should work out 30 mins a day. I'd recommend taking those out and, after you give her the letter, sit down with her and talk. If she is receptive, then you can talk about some goals and about how to take some action. One thing she needs to realize is that SHE is in control. She's the own who controlled what she ate and did to gain so much weight and she will continue to control what she eats and does to lose, maintain, or gain more. She needs to own her own goals and if you are able to sit and talk about it, ask her what goals she would like to have. She'll probably ask you for your input and you can give it there. That way she owns it and wants to do it for herself, not just because you told her you think those should be her goals. Remember not to make the goals too daunting, start with small goals in the beginning.

Those are just my suggestions, take them or leave them, but i really hope you give your mom the letter regardless! I'll pray that she hears it from you and that this is the beginning of another journey you will take together.
  • raychybabe
    Options
    As a mother, I have to say if I got a letter like that, I would be completely gutted.

again, this comes down to me knowing my mother and how she'd react. I know she wouldnt be "gutted" - theres nothing really in there that I haven't said to her face to face at one time to another - but the fact she said she considering divorcing my dad because she didn't want to go on holiday "fat" was just the icing on the cake.

I know its a thin line, but I'm not trying to scare her or insult her. She has had similar conversations with me in the past when she wanted me to make changes with things.

I run a family group for parents of drug addicts - one of the sessions we do is aimed at writing a "carefrontation" - which is when they set out their new rules, what they want from that person and what they value about the relationship, how they will help, but also, what they will stop doing (or enabling) - it sort of sets the record straight after years of hurt. I suppose this was a similar thing. Sometimes realisation can be a great motivator - we often go around with our blinkers on, not seeing the true consequences of our habits.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    But (playing devil's advocate), if I was a mother and got a letter like that, while at first I'd probably bawl my eyes out, I'd come tot eh realization that what I'm doing is hurting more people than just me and if I really love my family I'd take care of myself. I'd also like to think I'd have more respect and admiration for the person having the courage to tell me like it is, otherwise I'd just keep lying to myself or coming up with other excuses and never doing anything.

Ultimately, only you know your mom best and how she would react. Go with what you know and do so courageously. Good luck!