does anyone else hate exercise w. a passion?

Options
2»

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Just echoeing what other people have said. Find something active that you like to do. Think outside the box. It doesn't have to be associated with a gym or any other organized activity. PaintPall? Geocaching? Cycling? Possibilities are endless.

That being said. Most of weight loss and being healthy is diet anyway. My wife lost 40 lbs and the most excersise she did was evening walks.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Its definitely more of how I feel after a work out. Especially a good one! I have been exercising since I was a teen so its so much of a habit now, I have a hard time not doing it. I am the type that is always on my feet, not one to just sit around much. As others have said, find something you have fun with.

I liked going to classes at the gym, but sometimes the effort of going was hard to get past. I had 2 kids at the time and it would take so much longer to get us there, get them settled in the kids room, work out then go get my girls which could take up to another 10 min then drive home. Plus there was a gym 5 min from my house but I had to drive past that one and drive to the other two branches 15-20 mins farther because they were far superior.

So I work out at home. I love to run, I like to do Jillian Michaels 20-25min DVDs because they are easy to fit in my day, I sweat and see results. I love kettlebells and even just walking on the treadmill or outside. Zumba or Just Dance on the Wii with my daughters is fun too.

But I hear you....some people just don't like it and probably never will. Try to keep fitting it in and make it a lifelong habit. When you get really older it will be more about health.
  • runamym
    runamym Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You gotta find something you LOVE! There's some type of exercise for everyone! From hiking, to biking, to walking on trails to skating, to going to the gym to find a zumba or hip hop class, to find the right exercise DVD for you. Once you give it a good 2 wk try, then you'll start to see results and you'll love it and it'll start to become habit/addictive after 30 days. Truly, I feel so lazy on days that I don't work out now. And I hate that feeling so I love working out/being active every day so I can get that endorphin high/energetic feeling! It's uplifting!
    I love working out to DVD sets like Turbo Fire (Beachbody has so many programs out there for every exercise level). Right now, I'm starting Insanity and I love it so far. Every day, there a new workout so I never get bored with the same old thing.
    Hope you investigate all the different options out there and find something you LOVE!
  • kmaclpn
    kmaclpn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone:) I might try zumba!!
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    It really depends for me. I enjoy how I feel about myself after exercising and, on an empty day, I like how exercise can structure it.

When I'm actually doing it it depends what it is and what mood I'm in - if I'm energised and it's dance based then I love it, if I'm feeling tired and it's running then no, I hate it.

What I really hate is the fitting it into a busy day and forcing myself to get in the car and drive to the gym.

So I hate the idea of doing it, tolerate or like the actual doing and love the feeling after.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    double post.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I always hated it, especially running.

I hate things I'm not good at. I'm a "if I can't win, I don't want to play" kind of person, so I gravitated towards things I was good at, and away from things that were hard. Until I decided I wanted to do the Warrior Dash, and knew that would require running, so I made it a priority. And it turns out... I am pretty good at it! Once I learned HOW to run, it became fun.
  • vivianahm
    vivianahm Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yup, me too. I hate it. HHAAAATTTEEE it. It's been 10 months of working out and I still hate it. Although, I hate it just slightly less now than when I first started. But guess what? Gonna keep doing it! Have to. Hate the old me more than I hate working out!

That's exactly how i feel. I have always hated exercise. I'd rather do anything else. But I hate being overweight more, so I began exercising in a stationary bike every day and it's really worked. I force myself to do it and my motivation is only loving the results. Oh! And I love reading so I discovered that I could read while I'm riding and then time goes by much faster.
  • soupreem27
    soupreem27 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think it's like this for a lot of people. I think it depends on what you do for exercise. Some workouts I dread starting, but once I'm done I'm sooo glad I did it. Also, what helps me through a workout is I think about how many calories I'm burning while I'm working out and how much closer it's getting me to my goal.

12426109.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    Yes, I find it is a right ballache! I love zumba so I do that weekly and if I am lucky enough to get the living room to myself then I do a dance dvd. I have been advised not to run because of reoccuring knee injuries so most of the time it is soul destroying equipment :(
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note: You really need to find PHYSICAL activity that you love. Just because you reach your goal doesn't mean you don't need it anymore.
    The common thing that overweight and obese people have is a lack of daily physical activity (not work related). If you fall back into that trap, you will probably gain the weight back.
    Not to mention that as you age, lack of physical activity usually leads to bad posture, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, and lack of strength which is why many falls happen with the elderly who don't participate.
    Gotta find it a keep it, so find one you know you will keep doing.
  • mtbiker1069
    mtbiker1069 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm going to echo what so many others have said here, find something you love. Personally, I hate about anything inside a gym, but love anything outdoors, especially riding bikes, Mountain Biking, hiking, ect. I found that once I started riding my bike it was like a Good "circle". I enjoyed riding so much that it motivated me to ride more so I could get in better shape, so I could ride more.

I've found that I can also find out ways to get exercize in with my other hobbies. Like photography. I try to now go on a hike to find stuff to take pictures of, instead of just driving as close as I can and using a zoom lense.
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Yup, me too. I hate it. HHAAAATTTEEE it. It's been 10 months of working out and I still hate it. Although, I hate it just slightly less now than when I first started. But guess what? Gonna keep doing it! Have to. Hate the old me more than I hate working out!

That's exactly how i feel. I have always hated exercise. I'd rather do anything else. But I hate being overweight more, so I began exercising in a stationary bike every day and it's really worked. I force myself to do it and my motivation is only loving the results. Oh! And I love reading so I discovered that I could read while I'm riding and then time goes by much faster.

I am the exact same way, HATE IT, but got a stationary bike and been on it for the past 10 or so months ever since...I still don't work out as much as I should, because I'll do great for a month and then slack off, but I've got to do it because I want my body to change along with my health...I like to find something that I really like on TV and that helps me to pedal much longer...you can do it!!:wink:
  • kjgarcia
    kjgarcia Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I do. I was the 4.0 total rule following student in high school who skipped P.E.

But......I NEVER, EVER thought *I* would be the one saying this....it's growing on me :)

I'm not a total gym rat, I don't go daily at 4am or anything. When I can get to the gym and either do my own workout or a class I do. When I can't I try and do something at home. I don't always make it to do something but I give it a shot.
    Sometimes it's as simple as 10 min. of calisthenic type exercise, sometimes it's zumba on the wii, sometimes it's a quick walk. Lately (and I mean really recently) I find myself doing quick little bursts of things. While I'm waiting for water to boil on the stove I do squats, while I'm waiting for the iron to heat up I do jumping jacks, while watching tv I'll do some ab work. I never thought I'd be that person.

It's not that I found "the" thing, it's just that I make myself do it. And it seems the more I make myself the more I want to.