November isNational Adoption Month

Options
2»

Replies

• jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I would love to adopt, but it seems impossible to find a man who is ok with it. All the ones i've dated all say they want a son with their blood....:ohwell:

they need to grow a pair ;)
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    We adopted our son from the DOminican Republic 19 years ago. He is now well on his way to becoming an auto technician.
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I think adoption is wonderful! I admire people on the giving and the receiving end of it. :)
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I was 14 yrs when I was adopted. And I would adopt if my circumstances/ lifestyle were right.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    my husband and i would love to adopt! we'd like 5-7 kids and have only had 2 naturally. we hope to find a group of 2-3 siblings needing a home.
    my cousin was adopted, and my best friend in elementary and middle school was adopted. both were adopted as older children, not babies and had lots of issues to work out from it. it can be hard but i think they have a better appreciation of life now because of what they went through and i hope we can provide that to someone(s) else.
  • JetzGurl
    JetzGurl Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    3 days before my 18th birthday, I gave birth to a little girl. I knew I couldn't give her the life that she deserved so I placed her with an adoptive family of my choosing. She left the hospital in my care and we met my entire family at my church where everyone got to meet and hold her. Tons of pictures taken that day. We then drove to the lawyers office and gave her to her new family. Hardest thing I ever had to do but I never once regretted it. While it wasn't an open adoption, we all wrote letters and included pictures in a box that her parents promised to give to her when she turned 18 or was told about her adoption. For 7 or 8 yrs, her parents sent out annual update letters with pictures. About 3 years ago, we found each other through Facebook. Since then, our families have been fully integrated. Her parents were even there when my stepdad (her grandpa) died suddenly this past June. She turned 19 yesterday :)

If I was in a position to, I'd adopt in a heartbeat!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    3 days before my 18th birthday, I gave birth to a little girl. I knew I couldn't give her the life that she deserved so I placed her with an adoptive family of my choosing. She left the hospital in my care and we met my entire family at my church where everyone got to meet and hold her. Tons of pictures taken that day. We then drove to the lawyers office and gave her to her new family. Hardest thing I ever had to do but I never once regretted it. While it wasn't an open adoption, we all wrote letters and included pictures in a box that her parents promised to give to her when she turned 18 or was told about her adoption. For 7 or 8 yrs, her parents sent out annual update letters with pictures. About 3 years ago, we found each other through Facebook. Since then, our families have been fully integrated. Her parents were even there when my stepdad (her grandpa) died suddenly this past June. She turned 19 yesterday :)

If I was in a position to, I'd adopt in a heartbeat!

What a beautiful story. You were a very courageous 18 year old.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I have a huge amount of respect for parents who adopt. I also have a huge amount of respect for parents who choose to place their child up for adoption for selfless reasons.
    I agree! The sole reason I had for placing my daughter was simply because my job, as her mother, was to give her the best life possible. I was 17 (my pregnancy was a result of a rape) and I knew I couldn't provide for her the things she needed, but another family could. She's had an amazing and blessed life. I couldn't have asked for anything better for her!

You were one amazing 17 year old!
  • krissagirl0709
    krissagirl0709 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I want to do foster care someday and then possibly adopt from that point..
  • CanToGirl
    CanToGirl Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My husband and I adopted our daughter two yeas ago. While most cases takes years, we were very lucky. In 2009, the Monday after Thanksgiving, I handed in our profile books and all the paper work that is needed. Dec, 21 2009, I got a call that a birth-mother and father were interested in us. The birth-mother was 5 months along, when we met. I was there for the birthing and we were able to take her home with us. And we plan to adopt again next year.
    Because I can not have children, I have so much love and respect to the birth-mother and all birth-mothers, for gifting me with a family that I could not have otherwise.
    Here she is this Halloween.
    vzemq1.jpg
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful story. And that picture is the cutest stinkin thing I've ever seen!
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    OMG, do not come in <here> if you don't want to cry! You guys are amazing. I love all the stories & pics. What blessed people we all are!:heart:
  • jasminemycat
    jasminemycat Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    We adopted our daughter from an orphanage two and a half years ago, in addition to our two biological sons. She is going to be 4 in a couple of weeks and is the happiest kid I know.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I am not adopted, but I would like to adopt if/when the time comes that I am ready to start a family.