Coke Addiction . . .

Options
Haha Not that kind. . . I am struggling to give up diet cokes. I have about 3 a day, normally with my meals. I tend to take spells where I want the cokes at meal time and then spells where I could care less. Right now, I want them. I allow only one can per meal. And only at meal times.

The cokes are calorie free. So what's the big deal of having a coke? Do I really need to limit myself more or give them up completely? If I do give them up, what is a good substitue besides water. I am a diabetic. So I really don't have sweet tea unless it made with "fake" sugar. My doctor has not said anything about limiting cokes . . . yet.

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Personal decision. I was really badly addicted to diet sodas (my favorite is diet mt dew) - to the point where it was all that I drank all day long and if I didn't get enough I felt physically ill. (headaches, fatigue, etc) So for me it became obvious that it was a problem. I dropped it cold-turkey for one month (only had 2 the entire month, a couple of days that I had headaches, b/c the caffeine helps). Then I started adding them back in (b/c I really do honestly enjoy them) and now I allow myself 1 or 2 a day but don't feel like I 'have' to have it. Now I can just enjoy it w/o feeling like I'm getting my fix. LOL Some people say it's really awful for you and no one should drink any at all, some people say it's no big deal. Like I said, personal decision. :-)
  • divainme
    divainme Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am so addicted to Coke, have been since I was a kid. My dad used to drink it like water, he's been drinking it since he was 2 or 3. No joke, his sister gave him Coke because he didn't like milk and their parents owned a grocery store so it was easy to get. As of today his stomach is ruined, he's on serious meds to combat the pain. It hurts to even swollow foods.

I'm trying to combat my Coke addiction but its hard when you're exhausted in the afternoon and all you want is the sugar and caffinee combo pick me up....
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I am so addicted to Coke, have been since I was a kid. My dad used to drink it like water, he's been drinking it since he was 2 or 3. No joke, his sister gave him Coke because he didn't like milk and their parents owned a grocery store so it was easy to get. As of today his stomach is ruined, he's on serious meds to combat the pain. It hurts to even swollow foods.

I'm trying to combat my Coke addiction but its hard when you're exhausted in the afternoon and all you want is the sugar and caffinee combo pick me up....

what about tea?
  • hojo94
    hojo94 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 4-5 Cokes (not diet) a day... I decided that #1, it really isn't that healthy and #2, it gets EXPENSIVE! SO, it was my decision to drop pop. I have had 1 in the last 2 weeks, and actually am feeling better (once I got over the headaches from the lack of caffiene)... Up to you, I think... I have been sticking to water, or water with Crystal lite... :)
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    You are correct - the diet pop has no calories, so should not be going against your dieting. However, I remember reading somewhere they the aspartame in them actually make you hungry, where water would make you feel full.

I used to drink 2 diet drinks a day as well (coke, root beer, etc...), but decided that it's not healthy for me (saw a study that proves aspartame does not elave your body). Therefore, I slowly cut myself back to a couple of diet pops a week. And I do the opposite thatn you do - without the meals. I will allow myself a pop on a Friday night while watching a movie and having a snack, etc...

If you do want to cut it out, just try to cut it slowly.... one meal at a time. I know how difficult it is, but I can say that I crave it less and less each week. And I still get it now and then as a treat! ; )

As for a substitute, I honestly believe that you either need to have water or other calories (milk, fruit juice, etc...). If you just substitute it for another unsweetend drink (like Crystal Light), what's the purpose? You may as well just stay with the pop...

Good Luck!
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Well maybe tea or a light juice will be better. I love Pepsi. I've switched to Pepsi Max which tastes better than diet pepsi and lower in sodium but I only have about 1 or 2 a week. I try to drink juice or tea with my meals. I've never been a big soda drinker so that helps.

Good luck with it lady!
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    One year I gave up sodas for Lent, and by the end I didn't really miss them. I try not to drink sodas much at all anymore...every once in a while I backslide and have them more often (mostly when I'm feeling lazy), but I definitely try to limit myself to 1 per day. Diet or not, sodas still aren't good for you...whether it's all the artificial stuff going into your body, or the acid that eats away at your teeth.

For other sugar-free drinks, you could try Crystal Light (or somethign similar). Some flavors have more artificial sugar aftertaste than others, but I really like them and they are super convenient...just mix a packet with water and you're ready to go!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I don't see the problem
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    You are correct - the diet pop has no calories, so should not be going against your dieting. However, I remember reading somewhere they the aspartame in them actually make you hungry, where water would make you feel full.

I used to drink 2 diet drinks a day as well (coke, root beer, etc...), but decided that it's not healthy for me (saw a study that proves aspartame does not elave your body). Therefore, I slowly cut myself back to a couple of diet pops a week. And I do the opposite thatn you do - without the meals. I will allow myself a pop on a Friday night while watching a movie and having a snack, etc...

If you do want to cut it out, just try to cut it slowly.... one meal at a time. I know how difficult it is, but I can say that I crave it less and less each week. And I still get it now and then as a treat! ; )

As for a substitute, I honestly believe that you either need to have water or other calories (milk, fruit juice, etc...). If you just substitute it for another unsweetend drink (like Crystal Light), what's the purpose? You may as well just stay with the pop...

Good Luck!

I replaced my ridiculous diet mt. dew habit with water flavored with stuff made by Archer Farms that's sweetened with Stevia. I just like that stuff better than Crystal Light, but it's the same 'type' of thing. And I guess in my mind it's better that Stevia is more natural than aspartame, so in my head it feels good that I'm cutting back on the aspartame. The main purpose is that it's not loaded with caffeine like the diet mt. dew was, so I'm not caffiene-addicted like I used to be. Plus I really hate plain water. This is the only way I can make myself drink it.
  • Cathy92
    Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    just fyi...there is such a thing as 'aspartame poisoning'...I know I'm addicted to diet pop...I allow myself one a day and am working on getting it down to a 'small sized' pop. I'm going to ask my doctor to test me for the poisoning. Don't want to scare anyone...but the stuff is awful. I hope to give it up.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Haha Not that kind. . . I am struggling to give up diet cokes. I have about 3 a day, normally with my meals. I tend to take spells where I want the cokes at meal time and then spells where I could care less. Right now, I want them. I allow only one can per meal. And only at meal times.

The cokes are calorie free. So what's the big deal of having a coke? Do I really need to limit myself more or give them up completely? If I do give them up, what is a good substitue besides water. I am a diabetic. So I really don't have sweet tea unless it made with "fake" sugar. My doctor has not said anything about limiting cokes . . . yet.

But the other kind is way more fun to talk about.
  • sm423
    sm423 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    When I was gestational diabetic, the doctor told me to switch to diet soda (because I drank a lot regular soda), but she suggested only one a day. This may have been more for the caffeine factor. However, I could never really get use to the taste and I can only handle drinking so much water. So I started adding the crystal light packets to my water. It's only 10 calories for a whole packet that you would add to a 16oz bottle and there is no sugar. They come in many different flavors, my favorites are fruit punch and lemon. Sometimes I even use half of the lemon and strawberry to make strawberry lemonade. ;) They are pretty good, you should try it.
  • skinnygirl1965
    skinnygirl1965 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Drinking pop is just not good for you. A natural path once told me Diet pop was the worst! I also went to a class on improving your metabolism and was told there Diet Pop is poison and both of these people told me you will not be able to lose weight while diet pop is still in your diet. Try water with lemon juice or make some cold green tea and sweeten with stevia or agave necter. Just get off the coke roller coaster!
  • Xbella
    Xbella Posts: 14
    Options
    Water is natural and what your body needs. Diet Coke, while I too love it isn't good for you. It stains your teeth, it does nothing to hydrate you. Coke was used at one time as a cleaner for car parts and other industrial things. Google the uses of Coke. Then think...do you want that in you??
  • withoutaname
    withoutaname Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I used to drink coke very, very often. I used to drink diet coke daily, then I got sick of it and then started drinking ordinary coke just as much. Clearly that didn't do too well for my health and weight.

Since I've joined MFP I have noticed how bad it is for me and that I shouldn't really drink anything apart from water/tea/coffee - so that's where I get my caffeine from nowadays.

I still have a coke occasionally because I still love the taste, but now it's once a week or once every two weeks if my allowance that day is good. It's surprising how easy it is to just stop. I've also switched to 175ml cans instead of a whole 600ml if I do have one, so I don't need to have so much!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I also went to a class on improving your metabolism and was told there Diet Pop is poison and both of these people told me you will not be able to lose weight while diet pop is still in your diet

Funny I still drink it and have lost 18kg/41lbs...

I've cut down on it significantly. (I'm talking liters of the stuff) Since switching to water and only having half a liter a day I feel so much better. Im cutting out completely at Xmas time. Your body will love you for it!
  • LouPeters
    Options
    If you are not ready to let go of the whole dc with each meal maybe try cutting it down a little. Instead of having a whole can have half, pour the rest down the sink so you wont be tempted to go back and have the other half. Or even more scary dont have any in the house for one meal and test yourself. Good Luck I know it is tough, I used to have 2 cans a day, loved it. Never thought I would stop, now I have it maybe twice a month :flowerforyou:
  • nadiB
    nadiB Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I drink about 2.5L of diet coke a day and about 5 cups of coffee (black with fake sweet). I know some may think this is really bad and it probably is....but it is much better than the 6L of normal coke I used to have. And as far as addictions go, there are much worse things one can be addicted to :wink:
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a LOT of diet coke, in fact while I was losing the first 20 kilos I used it as a sort of crutch (instead of food). Then I plateau'd really badly and gave up the Diet Coke to see if it would help get over the plateau and it did. Now I have them if I'm out, but I made a little rule for myself - try only have diet coke when I am out with friends and must drink 'something' and if we buy it for home i get caffeine and sugar free CANS, not bottles - as I can drink my way through a big bottle, but will stop after one can.

Depends if you are an 'in moderation' kind of person or not. I am most certainly not.
  • DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 6 to 8 20oz. diet coke drinks a day, and now I'm down to one 10.5 oz drink in the mornings so that I can get a kick start for the day. In all honesty, I haven't missed them at all. I think it's how we programmed ourselves to be and once you reprogram that you don't need it, well you actually don't need it.